RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,784
Posts: 5,217,396
Members: 24,217
Currently online: 737
Newest member: davestar057

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 3 2013, 05:20 PM   #166
blssdwlf
Commodore
 
Re: The Constellation's registry number

BK613 wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
And so the TOS Enterprise can easily fit into three classifications at the same time.
- Star Ship class (primary mission profile)
- Heavy Cruiser class (type of vessel)
- Constitution-class (ship's configuration)
I have no problem with that.

In fact we know that all three of those apply, because various canon sources have said so. The numerous 'starship' references in TOS, ditto for 'Heavy Cruiser', and (if I may mention TNG here) Picard flat-out says that the 1701 is Constitution class in "The Naked Now" and "Relics".

So they can be, and in fact are, all true.
The curious thing about Relics will be when this scene becomes legible. Will it say Constitution or Starship?
Dang!
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 05:35 PM   #167
BK613
Captain
 
BK613's Avatar
 
Location: BK613
Re: The Constellation's registry number

Here's a thought: What if Starship Class was used initially because it was politically neutral: no member world could therefore claim either extra pride or exaggerated slight at the naming of the first fully-Federation vessel class (and given how touchy the Andorians and Tellarites are portrayed, a believable consideration.)
__________________
-------------------
"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place." - George Bernard Shaw
BK613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 05:47 PM   #168
MarsWeeps
Commander
 
MarsWeeps's Avatar
 
Location: Outside of Space/Time
Re: The Constellation's registry number

BK613 wrote: View Post
The curious thing about Relics will be when this scene becomes legible. Will it say Constitution or Starship?
It wouldn't matter since that recreation of the bridge wasn't accurate to begin with.
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 05:50 PM   #169
blssdwlf
Commodore
 
Re: The Constellation's registry number

MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
BK613 wrote: View Post
The curious thing about Relics will be when this scene becomes legible. Will it say Constitution or Starship?
It wouldn't matter since that recreation of the bridge wasn't accurate to begin with.
Or it is accurate and the TNG continuity is different from TOS continuity.

@BK613 - The politically neutral class name idea does sound plausible.
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 05:56 PM   #170
BK613
Captain
 
BK613's Avatar
 
Location: BK613
Re: The Constellation's registry number

MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
BK613 wrote: View Post
The curious thing about Relics will be when this scene becomes legible. Will it say Constitution or Starship?
It wouldn't matter since that recreation of the bridge wasn't accurate to begin with.
Or this one from DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations.
__________________
-------------------
"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place." - George Bernard Shaw
BK613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 06:21 PM   #171
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: The Constellation's registry number

BK613 wrote: View Post
no member world could therefore claim either extra pride or exaggerated slight at the naming of the first fully-Federation vessel
Come again?

By the time the Constitution class was first built, the Federation had been in existence for almost a century. Somehow I think that there would be many Starfleet classes built after the Federation was first founded; I doubt the Connie was the first.

BK613 wrote: View Post
MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
BK613 wrote: View Post
The curious thing about Relics will be when this scene becomes legible. Will it say Constitution or Starship?
It wouldn't matter since that recreation of the bridge wasn't accurate to begin with.
Or this one from DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations.
In what way are those scenes not accurate?
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 06:35 PM   #172
MarsWeeps
Commander
 
MarsWeeps's Avatar
 
Location: Outside of Space/Time
Re: The Constellation's registry number

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
In what way are those scenes not accurate?
Compare the Relics bridge with the actual TOS bridge. Aside from the carpet color, the location of the bridge railings (and stairs) on the Relics bridge don't match the original. There may be other minor nits but the partial Relics bridge served its purpose in the TNG episode.
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 06:35 PM   #173
blssdwlf
Commodore
 
Re: The Constellation's registry number

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
In what way are those scenes not accurate?
The "Trials and Tribbleations" would likely be accurate for some parts because they re-used previous footage. However, when it goes HD, the question is will someone overlay something different on the plaque.

The "Relics" holodeck bridge has two differences that I see. The plaque looks larger (IMO) and the deck is carpeted over.
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 06:39 PM   #174
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: The Constellation's registry number

MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
In what way are those scenes not accurate?
Compare the Relics bridge with the actual TOS bridge. Aside from the carpet color, the location of the bridge railings (and stairs) on the Relics bridge don't match the original. There may be other minor nits but the partial Relics bridge served it's purpose in the TNG episode.
There's always going to be inconsistencies when re-creating something like this from scratch. I don't see the point of being upset about this.

Besides, some shows were not consistent unto themselves, let alone another show trying to re-create them, so I say just live and let live.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 07:03 PM   #175
MarsWeeps
Commander
 
MarsWeeps's Avatar
 
Location: Outside of Space/Time
Re: The Constellation's registry number

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
In what way are those scenes not accurate?
Compare the Relics bridge with the actual TOS bridge. Aside from the carpet color, the location of the bridge railings (and stairs) on the Relics bridge don't match the original. There may be other minor nits but the partial Relics bridge served it's purpose in the TNG episode.
There's always going to be inconsistencies when re-creating something like this from scratch. I don't see the point of being upset about this.
I'm not upset about it, I'm just pointing out the fact that it doesn't matter what the dedication plaque on the Relics bridge says since it's already established that it's not an accurate representation of TOS bridge.

Here are some screenshots. You can see the differences.
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 07:09 PM   #176
MarsWeeps
Commander
 
MarsWeeps's Avatar
 
Location: Outside of Space/Time
Re: The Constellation's registry number

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
In what way are those scenes not accurate?
The "Relics" holodeck bridge has two differences that I see. The plaque looks larger (IMO) and the deck is carpeted over.
See my previous pics, the stairs behind the Captain's chair on the Relics bridge don't exist in the original and the railings in the Relics bridge don't extend in front of the turbolift like they do in the original.
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 07:12 PM   #177
BK613
Captain
 
BK613's Avatar
 
Location: BK613
Re: The Constellation's registry number

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
BK613 wrote: View Post
no member world could therefore claim either extra pride or exaggerated slight at the naming of the first fully-Federation vessel
Come again?

By the time the Constitution class was first built, the Federation had been in existence for almost a century. Somehow I think that there would be many Starfleet classes built after the Federation was first founded; I doubt the Connie was the first.
84 years. I'm thinking that, initially, Federation defense would be of a militia or UN Peacekeeper fashion, with members worlds supplying a portion of their existing fleets to operate under the moniker of "Starfleet." Maybe half a century or more of that.

Later, after time has passed and trust has been established (not going to be quick among the longer lived races) comes the single-entity defense of UFP Starfleet (along with the prerequisite subjugation to its authority.) Then they start building Federation starships. IOW, I see it as something that would be evolutionary and not, "Today we founded the Federation, tomorrow we build Federation starships!"
Funny, because it was musing about the patches thread and how they could be some sort of member world legacy that made think of this Starship Class quasi-solution.
BK613 wrote: View Post


MarsWeeps wrote: View Post

It wouldn't matter since that recreation of the bridge wasn't accurate to begin with.
Or this one from DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations.
In what way are those scenes not accurate?
Hmm that should have been "OK this one..." not "Or this one..."
__________________
-------------------
"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place." - George Bernard Shaw
BK613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 08:09 PM   #178
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore
 
EliyahuQeoni's Avatar
 
Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile
Re: The Constellation's registry number

blssdwlf wrote: View Post

And to recap, if the Enterprise was either "Starship Class" or "Constitution Class" she cannot be the "1st bird of the 17th design" as she is not the lead ship.
Not necessarily. After all, the HMS_Afridi was the lead ship of the Tribal-Class yet neither she nor any of her sister ships were called the "HMS Tribal".
__________________
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 08:46 PM   #179
blssdwlf
Commodore
 
Re: The Constellation's registry number

EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
blssdwlf wrote: View Post

And to recap, if the Enterprise was either "Starship Class" or "Constitution Class" she cannot be the "1st bird of the 17th design" as she is not the lead ship.
Not necessarily. After all, the HMS_Afridi was the lead ship of the Tribal-Class yet neither she nor any of her sister ships were called the "HMS Tribal".
Timo referred to the British River and Town Classes earlier where the class of ships are defined by a theme and not the lead ship's name so I get your point.

If "Starship Class" was a theme that was replaced temporarily by "Enterprise Class" from TWOK and then again replaced as "Constitution Class" in TUC it would suggest a shift from naming by theme to naming by actual lead ship.

With Picard calling the TOS bridge "Constitution Class" and Scotty acknowledging him, then we can assume then in the TNG version that "Starship Class" was either a theme that encompassed the "Constitution" sub-Class or vice-versa, IMHO.
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 10:05 PM   #180
Marcus Porcius Cato
Commander
 
Re: The Constellation's registry number

I like to think NCC-1017 was a Pre-Constitution frame which was canceled/delayed during construction.

After a while either as a testbed, or to make up numbers or some other reason, building on the frame resumed and was completed on spec as Constitution-Class.

As for the name, she could have been named Constellation from the beginning or was assigned the name when she was completed.
__________________
"A person without any sense of shame is no longer a human being."

Mencius, Chinese Philosopher (c. 372-289 BCE)
Marcus Porcius Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.