RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,555
Posts: 5,401,624
Members: 24,861
Currently online: 602
Newest member: bunty2

TrekToday headlines

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 11 2013, 02:39 PM   #46
theblitz
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Israel
Re: 10 Reason ST:DS9 Misjudged

As a "converted" DS9 viewer;

When I first saw DS9 I didn't like it simply because you would get lost if you tried to see the odd episode here or there.

This is not just due to the long-runing arc but also to the complexity of the characters and their interaction.

On TNG (NOT one of my favourites) the characters were much easier to follow. Interactions were far shallower so it was easy to pop-in for an odd episode here or there.

Their is no question that once you watch DS9 in order it is a completely different world.
theblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 07:08 PM   #47
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: 10 Reason ST:DS9 Misjudged

theblitz wrote: View Post
As a "converted" DS9 viewer;

When I first saw DS9 I didn't like it simply because you would get lost if you tried to see the odd episode here or there.

This is not just due to the long-runing arc but also to the complexity of the characters and their interaction.

On TNG (NOT one of my favourites) the characters were much easier to follow. Interactions were far shallower so it was easy to pop-in for an odd episode here or there.

Their is no question that once you watch DS9 in order it is a completely different world.
Everyone is different...

I was probably watching six to eight episodes a season (after the first year) and never felt lost when tuning into DS9. At its core it's Star Trek and even though it had a bit more in the way of straight serialization, it was still episodic in nature for most of its run.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 07:13 PM   #48
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: 10 Reason ST:DS9 Misjudged

And even serialised shows sometimes use the plot device "Previously on ..... " where the viewer is shown albeit very briefly things that occured in previous episodes that are saliant to the episode.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 07:18 PM   #49
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: 10 Reason ST:DS9 Misjudged

MacLeod wrote: View Post
And even serialised shows sometimes use the plot device "Previously on ..... " where the viewer is shown albeit very briefly things that occured in previous episodes that are saliant to the episode.
Right.

I never bought the notion that you had to watch every episode of a serialized show or none at all.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 11:49 AM   #50
theblitz
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Israel
Re: 10 Reason ST:DS9 Misjudged

I always find that the "previously ..." is more for the people who actually watched it.
To remind them what happened last and to place the current episode in perspective.

I'm nto saying that you can't want DS9 bits at a time out of order but watching it in order changes it completely whereas witht he other series it doesn't make much of a difference.
theblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 02:01 PM   #51
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander
 
heavy lids's Avatar
 
Location: Denver
Re: 10 Reason ST:DS9 Misjudged

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I was 10 when DS9 started.

I didn't like it because I disagreed with its philosophy.
I find it hard to believe that a 10 year old would have a philosophical problem with a television show.
__________________
"Divine intervention is...unlikely" - The Doctor
heavy lids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 09:17 PM   #52
the Sisko
Commander
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: 10 Reason ST:DS9 Misjudged

I also think they miss it.

Deep Space Nine was about 10-15 years too early for television and slightly out of order for the star trek series development.

It had a cast that was very diverse... much more than most shows of its era (or now)... with a black male leader, alien female second and third officers and an arab doctor. This, while wonderful for those who watched, doesn't bring in the largest audiences.

It moved away from happy endings and morality tales to long standing drama. If you watch a Nikita, Scandal, Once upon a time Hawaii Five O or a Blue Bloods today and there are long-standing plot lines and character arcs. There are imperfect heroes making imperfect decisions with complex situations compared to the Pre-DS9 invincibility of a Starfleet Captain's decision-making.

It's almost as if Voyager should have come first... so the alien of the week genre could have played out and Deep Space Nine would have felt or been invested into like a relaunch of Trek for the 21st century. As it stands... star trek quickly returned after DS9 (and during with the voyager run) to the Next Generation formula
the Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 03:21 PM   #53
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain
 
HaventGotALife's Avatar
 
Re: 10 Reason ST:DS9 Misjudged

Let me first say that I am in no way trivializing what happened on September 11th. 3,000 people died and two of the longest wars in our history has been waged. Islamic Extreme Terrorism is the Communism of our day. We are in jeopardy because of an attack on the mainland. My family has personally been affected by losing someone to this war, a soldier. And he signed up for duty after September 11th. The rest of this post assumes that the events were unavoidable and, therefore, set in stone.

Part of me wishes that Deep Space Nine had premiered after 9/11. I think the show would've been more timely and it would've had higher ratings. I think this because my opinions of the show now are based largely on the fact that I lived, as 17-year-old, through that event. I heard about his friends and acquaintances going off to war. Feeling the terror of a potential existential threat from a foreign invader, and dealing with the fear and anxiety of never wanting to have another attack.

As Communism changed Ronald Reagan in the 1960s, I changed my beliefs, became more liberal, after September 11th. I realized the judicious use of power, the effect of terrorism on a society (and yes, it can be effective), and the tension between a free and open society versus safety and the rule of law. Those who experienced this time as adults, as I did, were changed completely by it. I remember my reaction to the bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. I am ashamed of that view because of what happened after September 11th. I claimed it was people in foreign lands, they had signed up to be in danger. That's what I thought. And even as Bin Laden had struck at the US, was on the FBI's most wanted list, it didn't strike me as something that could cause me to be touched by it personally. There was NO political will to get Bin Laden in 1993-2000. And I was a part of that. It doesn't wake me in cold sweats anymore, but I still get angry with myself.

Deep Space Nine touches on all of those topics. From trying to make peace with our enemy early on, to what that peace would look like, what we do to ourselves in the name of defense, when war is acceptable, how we wage that war, and what we are willing to do to win it. It is incredible to watch and it is dazzling that it was able to so fully flesh out the issues without having an event in our lives that made them relevant.

Part of me is glad they weren't on the air. Aaron Sorkin has spoken about how timid NBC became over stories he wished to air. His last episode on West Wing, a show that never touched more than passingly on terrorism until after September 11th, was a cliffhanger--the President's daughter has been taken and President Bartlet resigns via the 25th Amendment, putting the most powerful Republican in charge (no Vice President because of a sex scandal) because he doesn't want to make a decision as a grieving father with the powers of the Presidency.

In season 5, the second episode, Zoe Bartlet is found and she was abducted by Islamic extremists. The episodes were written by John Wells. Sorkin's story was that Zoe had been taken by Extremist Christians. He fought for the story, from what I know, and he left because it was censored.

The same thing could've happened to Deep Space Nine with regards to the Bajorans, and the thinly-veiled social problem would've been more blunt. They were creating this, not ripping from the headlines. That is why I am glad it came before September 11th.

All in all, it remains my second favorite series and the one I have thought about, even gone as far as trying to write an 8th season, because it is so relevant in my life.
__________________
"Cogley was old-fashioned, preferring paper books to computers. He had an extensive collection of books, he claimed never to use the computer in his office."
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 04:11 PM   #54
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: 10 Reason ST:DS9 Misjudged

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
Let me first say that I am in no way trivializing what happened on September 11th. 3,000 people died and two of the longest wars in our history has been waged. Islamic Extreme Terrorism is the Communism of our day.
Disagree, they're worse. Communists had an ideology rooted in reality at least.

To address your point more fully, I agree DS9 was too ahead of its time, although I don't get much of a post-9/11 vibe from it. I definitely think if DS9 was made soon after 9/11 they'd be less willing to have a religious fanatic terrorist like Kira as one of the main characters.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 06:50 PM   #55
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander
 
Nagisa Furukawa's Avatar
 
Re: 10 Reason ST:DS9 Misjudged

theblitz wrote: View Post
As a "converted" DS9 viewer;

When I first saw DS9 I didn't like it simply because you would get lost if you tried to see the odd episode here or there.

This is not just due to the long-runing arc but also to the complexity of the characters and their interaction.

On TNG (NOT one of my favourites) the characters were much easier to follow. Interactions were far shallower so it was easy to pop-in for an odd episode here or there.

Their is no question that once you watch DS9 in order it is a completely different world.
It's interesting how for years this was pretty much the default position for network executives about serialized storytelling, that most people aren't going to catch ep after ep, so things must be simplified. But now in the age of DVD boxsets, online streaming, DVR recordings, the public is MUCH more receptive to the idea of TV being watched in a particular order like the chapters in a book.

IMO this is a wonderful thing. The old format was an absolute drama killer and held TV back from its full dramatic potential for decades and decades. You used the word "shallower" and that's precisely what it is. It's more than possible to get amazing, excellent standalones out of that format, but nigh impossible to get genuinely interesting characters who change and grow and develop.
__________________
I am the one who guided you this far.
Nagisa Furukawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 07:28 PM   #56
CrazyMatt
Commander
 
CrazyMatt's Avatar
 
Location: Paradise
Re: 10 Reason ST:DS9 Misjudged

At first, I didn't really like DS9, but I did watch it... and grew to love it. It became my favorite of all the newer series... I used to wonder why that was... then it suddenly struck me. The 'feel' of DS9 is more like TOS than TNG,VOY or ENT.. by feel I mean the intensity, the intimacy, the grit... TNG had some, the others had little, only DS9 had all. Plus, I loved the way they created such a large ensemble where every character had a legitimate, uncontrived piece of the dramatic pie.
CrazyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.