Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old March 2 2013, 02:15 AM   #1
Photon
Commodore

Garak's Thoughts on the Cardassian Occupation of Bajor

After watching DS9, I don't blv I've caught anything that Garak said about the occupation. Speculate then did he think it was right or was he indifferent? He never seemed that adversarial toward Bajorans
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 02:44 AM   #2
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Garak's Thoughts on the Cardassian Occupation of Bajor

Garak probably didn't care one way or the other.

IIRC, the occupation was not an Obsidian Order operation. So Garak wouldn't have much reason to get involved. The occupation was strictly the purview of Central Command.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 03:22 AM   #3
Captain Nebula
Lieutenant Commander

I'll bet it's touched on at least once in Andrew J. Robinson's DS9 novel 'A Stitch in Time'.

Last edited by Captain Nebula; March 2 2013 at 07:47 AM.
Captain Nebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 01:41 AM   #4
Iliana Malek
Lieutenant

You do have to wonder, though, if Garak participated in some way in the events on Bajor. He often made up stories that involved activity on Bajor, such as the stories about 'Elim' that he told Bashir in "The Wire", or when the record keeper in the episode "Cardassians" said she was in the underground, and he said, "Then perhaps we have met!", but that could just have been Garak trying to play mind games with whoever he was addressing. After all, you could never really trust what he was saying.

But, I agree that he was probably rather indifferent to the events on Bajor. He never seemed particularly troubled by it, and I don't recall him ever really bringing it up.
Old March 3 2013, 01:50 AM   #5
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I'd imagine in public he'd declare it pointless but shrug it off, while in private seeing it as an atrocity.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 01:51 AM   #6
indolover
Fleet Captain

There was one episode in which he went to a conference on Bajor and attempted to justify the occupation by giving a dispassionate view. As to his own personal opinion, well most Cardassians we saw still despised Bajorans, even after the occupation ended. My own reasoning is that Cardassians viewed Bajorans just as the Nazis viewed the Jews. Of course this was the point of the occupation story, but in the five years between the Federation coming and the Dominion taking DS9 I bet Dukat would have been eagerly awaiting being "overseer" of Bajor again.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 02:00 AM   #7
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

indolover wrote: View Post
There was one episode in which he went to a conference on Bajor and attempted to justify the occupation by giving a dispassionate view.
That was hilarious but I would say that it was typical Garak hiding the fact he really does care. 9 times out of 10, Garak has the same morality and agenda as our heroes.

I can see him getting caught up in the zeitgeist and propaganda of the time but looking back on it, I can't see Garak viewing it as a great achievement.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 02:50 AM   #8
Iliana Malek
Lieutenant

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I'd imagine in public he'd declare it pointless but shrug it off, while in private seeing it as an atrocity.
I don't see any evidence of that in the show. I honestly don't think he thought about it very much, except for resenting the fact that the Bajorans on the station tended to give him dirty looks. Given how much Garak clearly enjoyed his work, I don't think he would have given a second thought to the events on Bajor being an atrocity or not. They were just business.
Old March 3 2013, 03:28 AM   #9
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Based on that one episode where Garak was called to a conference on Bajor, I think he was in favor of Cardassian's governance over Bajor, but he was strongly against the way the Bajorans were treated.

That's why he wanted to discuss the Occupation from a 'Historical perspective'. He believes, that although the murder of millions of Bajorans was an atrocity, that Bajor may have benefited in the long run from the Occupation because of the technological and cultural reforms that resulted from it. So it's a lot more like the attitude of the Ancient Romans than the Nazis.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 04:01 AM   #10
Iliana Malek
Lieutenant

I could get on board with that. Though, I still don't see anything in Garak's behavior that indicated that he had any opinion on how the Bajorans were treated, one way or another. But I could definitely see him viewing the Occupaion as ultimately being a benefit for the Bajorans, since Garak showed us repeatedly how much he loved Cardassia. He likely would have thought that any Cardassian influence was a ultimately a good thing.
Old March 3 2013, 07:05 AM   #11
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station

I am not so sure I'd expect Garak to classify it as an atrocity. He was a cruel man himself, who believed getting his results was worth any price (he even tortured Odo and who knows how many other people, or committed murder(s)), so I wouldn't assume that anyone's suffering made any impression on him. Especially if that suffering was non-Cardassian for the good of Cardassia.
Old March 3 2013, 07:15 AM   #12
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Garak was always obsessively patriotic to Cardassia, but he also showed empathy for the defenseless and a view that the way to make Cardassia strong was not to kill without remorse. Also I believe some of his stories he told, while not necessarily true, were very truthy. Permutations of the truth, rather than the truth itself.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 11:40 AM   #13
Retu
Lieutenant Commander

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Garak was always obsessively patriotic to Cardassia, but he also showed empathy for the defenseless and a view that the way to make Cardassia strong was not to kill without remorse. Also I believe some of his stories he told, while not necessarily true, were very truthy. Permutations of the truth, rather than the truth itself.
Best lies are often those which have a dose of truth mixed in:
Bashir: What I want to know is, out of all the stories you told me which ones were true and which ones weren't?
Garak: My dear doctor...they're all true.
Bashir: Even the lies?
Garak: Especially the lies.

-Sir William Bragg
Retu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 04:18 AM   #14
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
I am not so sure I'd expect Garak to classify it as an atrocity. He was a cruel man himself, who believed getting his results was worth any price (he even tortured Odo and who knows how many other people, or committed murder(s)), so I wouldn't assume that anyone's suffering made any impression on him. Especially if that suffering was non-Cardassian for the good of Cardassia.
IIRC, Garak only tortured Odo because he was ordered to do so, and even then, it hurt him to do it.

Some of the more blatant atrocities committed during the Occupation (such as Gul Darhe'el's wholesale slaughter of Bajorans at the Gallitep labor camp) would have been impossible for Garak to go along with. He's not a savage.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 04:36 AM   #15
JustKate
Rear Admiral

He was not a savage, but the love of his life - his purpose for being - his religion - his God - was Cardassia. Therefore, I agree with those who've said he probably didn't think much about Bajor except how it affected Cardassia.

However, he might very possibly have thought a lot of the things that occurred during the Occupation were stupid and wasteful, because when he was cruel and ruthless, it was for what he genuinely believed was a sufficient reason, and the pointless sadism done by those who just got a kick out of inflicting pain and humiliation would have offended his sense of ethics. He would have considered that conduct unbecoming a Cardassian. But other than that, I really don't think he thought much about it.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote