Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 2 2013, 06:18 PM   #691
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

I called it! I predicted the story arc would end with Ahsoka alive but no longer a Jedi, and there ya go. And I can't blame her. The Council and the Senate were both way too quick to make up their minds. (In fact, I find that rather implausible. Just because they found her in the same warehouse as the nanodroids, they assumed they belonged to her? Didn't they run any forensic analysis of the warehouse to check her story about being attacked there?) Indeed, the Senate seemed so quick to railroad her that I wonder if this was some master plan of Palpatine. I mean, Palps, who was sitting in the role of judge, was himself giving argument for the prosecution! What do they call a kangaroo court in the Republic?

But then, it seems that Barriss was acting against Palps's agendas, since she saw -- rightly -- that the Jedi had been drawn off their path by the Dark Side, manipulated into waging an unnecessary war. So it's odd that Palps and Tarkin were so eager to find a scapegoat.

They certainly pulled out the stops production-wise on this. I was particularly impressed by Kevin Kiner's musical score, which was richer and more memorable than his usual work. More, it sounds like they sprung for a real orchestra in at least the final minutes (I didn't notice before then), which really lent it a more poignant, cinematic quality.

Tim Curry did a decent job of adjusting his voice to sound somewhat like Abercrombie and McDiarmid. But his own distinctive rhythms and habits of speech still came through clearly. I'm not sure he's really the best choice to take over here. Abercrombie was good at playing both the kindly facade and the sinister Sith Lord underneath, but "kindly" isn't a word one associates with Tim Curry's voice. I think Palpatine is going to come off as a harsher character from now on.

Is this the only time we've seen Padme all season?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 06:24 PM   #692
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I called it! I predicted the story arc would end with Ahsoka alive but no longer a Jedi, and there ya go.
Weren't you disappointed that it was so predictable?

And "Jedi Knight" +1
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 06:42 PM   #693
Christopher
Writer

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I called it! I predicted the story arc would end with Ahsoka alive but no longer a Jedi, and there ya go.
Weren't you disappointed that it was so predictable?
No, because it fits with what I felt was the best way to deal with the requirements of the situation. It's what I would've done, so I'm in agreement with it.

Old March 2 2013, 06:52 PM   #694
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ heh, well at least you're honest

Last edited by Mr. Adventure; March 2 2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old March 2 2013, 07:25 PM   #695
flavaflav
Commander

Episode 20 was fantastic. I would have no problem if Ahsoka never comes back in this series. This ep works perfectly as an end to her arc. Hell, it would work as a series finale.

I love the look Ahsoka gives Windu when he spews that bs about this being your great trial and as a half assed way to sorta make her an official Knight. Now when you take into account everything that happens during Clones Wars, it makes Mace's death in ROTS a bit different. It makes you want to cheer when he gets shot out the window since he's really been a prick to Ahsoka and Anakin since the beginning of the Clone Wars. he's completely full of himself and believes he's infallible. a prime example of why the Jedi fall.

The music score was great. i especially liked the track during the end credits. The animation was superb. I loved the design of the Jedi security guards. The double bladed yellow light saber/nightsticks were cool. Not too sure I like Curry as Palps.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 07:28 PM   #696
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

A little thing but I liked that Ahsoka still called Anakin "Master" after she quit the Jedi.
Old March 2 2013, 07:32 PM   #697
flavaflav
Commander

The scene outside the Temple between Anakin and Ahsoka was very well done. Kudos to the writers and animators.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 07:42 PM   #698
Christopher
Writer

A little thing but I liked that Ahsoka still called Anakin "Master" after she quit the Jedi.
Did she? I specifically noticed it when she addressed him as "Anakin" at one point in that final scene. I don't recall if she also used "Master."

Old March 2 2013, 07:46 PM   #699
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Did she? I specifically noticed it when she addressed him as "Anakin" at one point in that final scene. I don't recall if she also used "Master."
You're correct but there was a "master" in there before that. Actually not in the final scene but after her resignation.
Old March 2 2013, 09:23 PM   #700
Reverend
Rear Admiral

But then, it seems that Barriss was acting against Palps's agendas, since she saw -- rightly -- that the Jedi had been drawn off their path by the Dark Side, manipulated into waging an unnecessary war. So it's odd that Palps and Tarkin were so eager to find a scapegoat.
Maybe he foresaw Anakin bringing her in in time? I mean foreseeing is supposed to be one of his more notable powers, no? On the other hand having Ahsoka convicted or executed would certainly help push Anakin further towards the dark side. Even as it stands with Barris captured the reputation of the Jedi has been further tainted, making the purge all the more justifiable. So basically he had no reason to interfere as he wins either way.

Apropos of nothing, I like how they intimated that Ahsoka knows about Anakin and Padme. I wondered when they were going to get around to that.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 09:50 PM   #701
Stephen!
Captain

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Wait Curry is already voicing Palpatine.

I thought he would have been starting next season.
I wondered that, since they said that Ian Abercrombie had already recorded all of his dialogue for S5 before he died.
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 09:53 PM   #702
EnsignRicky
Commodore

I think everybody knew about Anakin and Padme.
Old March 2 2013, 11:21 PM   #703
billcosby
Commodore

This felt oddly like a series finale to me... I really hope we don't get the "Clone Wars is on indefinite hiatus so that everyone at Lucasfilm/Disney can focus on 7,8,9 etc." I know movies are the real moneymakers where the TV series' get brushed under the rug.

We now know that the game 1313 went the route of Battlefront III... proving Lucasarts can't get their shit together on the corporate side (the games are great) to release substantial in the gaming world.
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/s...zen_150508.asp

I thought that Ahsoka leaving the Jedi was likely the emotional climax of the series so far. I could actually feel something as she left. She was right to leave the Jedi.

It also suggested to me some rational reasons to serve behind Ahsoka's complete absence in ROTS... maybe another several months will pass before ROTS begins with Ahsoka out of sight/mind to Anakin.

How awesome will it be to have another season of Ahsoka going rouge, taking smuggling and/or bounty hunting jobs next season? Will she reconcile with Ventress? Fight Maul? Secretly have contact with Anakin/Obi-Wan?

Oh, and Dr. Frank-n-Furter as Palps was weird but not so bad on the rewatch. He's got the pitch and inflection but not the pacing... he's going too slow.

Last edited by billcosby; March 2 2013 at 11:40 PM.
billcosby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 11:24 PM   #704
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

I think Ahsoka outside of the Jedi Order has a lot of potential and gives the show the unpredictability it's had difficulty obtaining. A Jedi leaving the Order is something I've wanted to see. Someone said it would be awesome if Ahsoka and Ventress joined up as Badassess for Hire. I suspect though that Ahsoka might end up Onderon with her "close friend" Lux.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 11:25 PM   #705
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

I kept thinking that Anakin was going to call Ahsoka back and tell her to put on a jacket. Ahsoka still looks like she should be walking the streets in that outfit.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote