The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old February 8 2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Count Zero
Decidedly something

February/March challenge - Independence

Hi all!

As today marks the anniversary of Barlow's Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace this contest's theme will be independence. While Barlow used it as a political term don't hesitate to explore it in all its variants and more figuratively.
Your story should be original work (i.e. not posted or published so far) and it should be finished when you post it. You need to post a link to your story in this thread to participate in the challenge.
Apart from that, everything goes, original or canon characters, alternate universes, short story or lengthy saga, it's up to you.

As February is so short and we're already a week into it this contest will also cover the month of March. The deadline is March 28th 23:59 CET so that we'll have enough time for voting and starting the next challenge on time.
Old February 11 2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Re: February/March challenge - Independence

That bad, huh?
Old February 11 2013, 07:54 PM   #3
jerriecan
Lieutenant Commander

Not bad at all! I haven't had much time to read lately, let alone write something for a contest. I have an idea - hopefully I can find the time and energy to put fingers to keyboard.
Star Trek: Pathfinder #1: The Siren's Call
jerriecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2013, 11:34 PM   #4
rabid bat
Commodore

View rabid bat's Twitter Profile

I'm in thinking about it mode. Plus I shovel snow every day now, or so it seems. Perhaps I'll write something that takes place on Andoria.
Artist formerly known as jespah.
rabid bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2013, 12:27 AM   #5
Soul of Saito
Fleet Captain

Location: Limited-area amalgamated alternate timespace with non-corrosive tendencies.
Send a message via AIM to Soul of Saito

Count Zero wrote: View Post
That bad, huh?
Not at all! In fact, it's an interesting enough idea that it's got me thinking about trying to put something together, for the first time since... well, the ONLY time I've ever submitted anything here, which was about a year ago. The theme coupled with the lack of restriction on length (as that other story showed, confining myself to 10k words or less when writing a story is... just not happening, more often than not ), and the extra long period in which to write something, is enticing.

My main stumbling block is what I mentioned in the thread that followed my story submission back then: I just don't know if I want to take the time to write Trek, as opposed to putting that time and energy into original works. So I'm not sure. I'm assuming that "original or canon characters, alternate universes, short story or lengthy saga, it's up to you" still means "set in some recognizably Star Trek setting", heh.

jespah wrote: View Post
I'm in thinking about it mode. Plus I shovel snow every day now, or so it seems. Perhaps I'll write something that takes place on Andoria.
Now that's writing what you know!
My solitary Trek fic
Soul of Saito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 01:42 AM   #6
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Saito S wrote: View Post
I'm assuming that "original or canon characters, alternate universes, short story or lengthy saga, it's up to you" still means "set in some recognizably Star Trek setting", heh.
Well, more or less. I understand what you're saying but I do think there's a lot of leeway. Vast corners of the Trekverse are quite unexplored. I think that e.g. both entries for last month, while taking place in the Trekverse, could also easily stand as original works with a few changes. Anyway, I hope you'll enter something. I enjoyed your last story.
Old February 15 2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Soul of Saito
Fleet Captain

Location: Limited-area amalgamated alternate timespace with non-corrosive tendencies.
Send a message via AIM to Soul of Saito

Saito S wrote: View Post
I'm assuming that "original or canon characters, alternate universes, short story or lengthy saga, it's up to you" still means "set in some recognizably Star Trek setting", heh.
Well, more or less. I understand what you're saying but I do think there's a lot of leeway. Vast corners of the Trekverse are quite unexplored. I think that e.g. both entries for last month, while taking place in the Trekverse, could also easily stand as original works with a few changes.
Fair point! And as you say, the January stories (which were both very well done, by the way! Kudos to you and Cobalt Frost) essentially did this; Cobalt's especially since it was about a completely original race without even a mention of any established Trek lore, but yours as well if you simply changed "Romulan" and "Reman" to something else. So that's definitely something to ponder as I think about what I might try to write...
Anyway, I hope you'll enter something. I enjoyed your last story.
Thanks!
My solitary Trek fic
Soul of Saito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2013, 03:33 PM   #8
Cobalt Frost
Captain

Location: seduced by The Coolness in Phineas & Ferb's backyard

My entries do tend to presuppose a familiarity with my fic 'verse as established in my other entries and story posts...
Old March 2 2013, 06:42 AM   #9
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Hi all!

As today marks the anniversary of Barlow's Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace this contest's theme will be independence. While Barlow used it as a political term don't hesitate to explore it in all its variants and more figuratively.
Your story should be original work (i.e. not posted or published so far) and it should be finished when you post it. You need to post a link to your story in this thread to participate in the challenge.
Apart from that, everything goes, original or canon characters, alternate universes, short story or lengthy saga, it's up to you.

As February is so short and we're already a week into it this contest will also cover the month of March. The deadline is March 28th 23:59 CET so that we'll have enough time for voting and starting the next challenge on time.
I'm working on something. It's in the very early stages--I have a little bit of an outline, some notes, and about two paragraphs. But I just wanted to make sure that I understood the rules. This will be my first piece of fiction for the site. I hope I get it done in time. I'm very excited, I haven't done any creative writing in nearly 10 years. So this should be interesting.

All I have to do is submit my piece of work in this thread, right? And I am allowed to just make up an alien species, correct? I'm not even sure if Starfleet will be in it. I don't know yet where this is going. Does it have to have established lore in it?
Old March 2 2013, 04:09 PM   #10
rabid bat
Commodore

View rabid bat's Twitter Profile

You'll need to make a separate topic for your story. I'll leave it to Count Zero to hammer out the remainder.

Welcome to our mighty band of siblings.
Artist formerly known as jespah.
rabid bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Count Zero
Decidedly something

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
All I have to do is submit my piece of work in this thread, right? And I am allowed to just make up an alien species, correct? I'm not even sure if Starfleet will be in it. I don't know yet where this is going. Does it have to have established lore in it?
As jespah pointed out, you have to post your fic in a separate thread and a link to it here in this one.
Your story should take place in the Trekverse but Starfleet doesn't have to be in it. Original characters and original aliens are perfectly all right.
Old March 2 2013, 08:53 PM   #12
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.ph...91#post7752391

Here's my entry. Will I be able to have any commentary in my thread while the contest is going on?
Old March 2 2013, 09:04 PM   #13
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

jespah wrote: View Post
You'll need to make a separate topic for your story. I'll leave it to Count Zero to hammer out the remainder.

Welcome to our mighty band of siblings.
Thank you for the welcome and the information.
Old March 2 2013, 11:23 PM   #14
Count Zero
Decidedly something

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.ph...91#post7752391

Here's my entry. Will I be able to have any commentary in my thread while the contest is going on?
Yes, of course. That's why the monthly contest was created in the first place - to get feedback on one's writing and to hone one's skills. It can take a while nowadays, though, so don't be impatient.
Old March 3 2013, 09:32 AM   #15
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Looking over my ship and crew lists, I've decided I fancy having a little play about with the Peregrine crew (first seen during my Talarian Incursion shorts).

I will have to give it a think and see what I come up with before the end of the month.