RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,894
Posts: 5,476,825
Members: 25,050
Currently online: 458
Newest member: aloraptor

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 2 2013, 04:08 AM   #16
JWolf
Commodore
 
JWolf's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Barnes & Noble Reducing Orders of New Trek Books?

There are just as many Star Trek eBooks on the website shelves as there have ever been.

But one thing I do notice about B&N and Star Trek eBooks. BooksOnBoard and Amazon have Star Trek eBooks at a discount (BoB usually cheaper) and B&N is full price.
__________________
Jon
JWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 05:37 AM   #17
E-DUB
Captain
 
Re: Barnes & Noble Reducing Orders of New Trek Books?

I haven't had a problem.............yet. Mrs. Dub worked for Borders for 18 yr and every time I buy a book at B+N I still feel vaguely treasonous.

I know the whole "free market" thing is supposed to be "supply and demand", but if I go to a store looking for a particular product and they don't have it, how is that "demand" being calculated?

Maybe we should demand "equal space" with the SW crowd. Anybody know any of those "flash mob" folks?
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 07:13 AM   #18
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Barnes & Noble Reducing Orders of New Trek Books?

E-DUB wrote: View Post
Maybe we should demand "equal space" with the SW crowd. Anybody know any of those "flash mob" folks?
In the weeks before "Star Trek" (2009) premiered, I posted several pics here of the situation in several Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane bookshops (both specialist SF and general).

"Star Wars" shelfstock was reduced and "Star Trek" shelfstock increased. In several places, amounts were reversed. Simon & Schuster Australia even started air-freighting ST titles - and absorbed the extra costs - rather than previous dependence on sea-freighted supplies.

A few months later, "Doctor Who", "Twilight" and "Star Wars" clawed back some space.

Marketing is cyclic. I expect ST to build again soon. "Star Wars" may dwindle yet again, but it'll be back, with the announced of an eventual new movie installment.


Galaxy Bookshop, August 2009 by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
(There was also a giant stack of the then-new novelization at the friont entrance!)
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 08:04 AM   #19
Ktrek
Captain
 
Ktrek's Avatar
 
Re: Barnes & Noble Reducing Orders of New Trek Books?

I assume that dwindling copies of books in the retail store is because many Trek fans buy ebooks or order hard copies online. I used to make the monthly trip to my local B&N to get the latest book and for the last few years they have never had more than two copies in stock. Quite often when I went in the store the copies were not on the shelf but in the back room and I had to ask an employee if they could find me a copy. To save myself the aggravation I started buying from B&N online. Since I am a member I get free shipping. I don't get the 10% discount online but if I look at what it cost me in gas to the store and back I save more by pre-ordering online and have it nicely packaged and delivered to my door. I used to like to hand pick my copy but when you only have two copies to choose from and they are both usually nicked up it's just not worth it to me anymore. Another thing I like about pre-ordering on B&N is they ship it as soon as it arrives in their warehouse and thus I get my copy before the local store does these days.

Kevin
__________________
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine
Ktrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 09:12 AM   #20
Sxottlan
Commodore
 
Sxottlan's Avatar
 
Location: Stealing Lu Bu's Horse
View Sxottlan's Twitter Profile
Re: Barnes & Noble Reducing Orders of New Trek Books?

Kopernikus wrote: View Post
Here in Germany, when I go into a bookshop and they don't have the title I'm looking for.. ..I ask one of the employees and they simply order it for me and I can usually pick it up within 24 hours.
I called the Barnes & Noble back tonight and asked if I could order a copy of Devil's Bargain for pick-up. I was refused. The employee told me the store computer system did not give her that option. I did not ask, but I assumed it had to do with this feud with Simon & Schuster.

All she could do was order it for home delivery. When I asked when the next copy would be in, she did not know. I was told to call back in a couple days. Useless.

I figured I would just go to Amazon tonight to, I kid you not, buy my first book off the internet. I dissemble a little bit. I've bought CDs and blu-rays off of Amazon before, but never an actual book.

The S&H brought the total to nearly $13, an extra five dollars for a book that I wasn't even really excited for. No thanks.

So I guess I'll just wait and keep calling B&N and reserve it once it actually gets in.
__________________
Out of 4 stars:
The Light Fantastic: **1/2
One Constant Star: **1/2
Serpents in the Garden: **1/2
Sxottlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 10:25 AM   #21
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Barnes & Noble Reducing Orders of New Trek Books?

Sxottlan wrote: View Post
So I guess I'll just wait and keep calling B&N and reserve it once it actually gets in.
You'll end up spending the $5 in phone calls and petrol.

Do you not have any department stores with book departments? Apart from the B&N/S&S feud, any bookshop should be able to order any book by ISBN.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 03:08 PM   #22
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: King Daniel Into Darkness
Re: Barnes & Noble Reducing Orders of New Trek Books?

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

Galaxy Bookshop, August 2009 by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
(There was also a giant stack of the then-new novelization at the friont entrance!)
How I'd love Trek to have such prominence all the time!
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 03:13 PM   #23
ProwlAlpha
Fleet Captain
 
ProwlAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Florrum
Re: Barnes & Noble Reducing Orders of New Trek Books?

I haven't seen a sight like that since early last decade. Ever since the cancellation of ENT, book shelf space has gone down and less. Now, even WOW books are on top and get multiple copies while the newest Trek book is on the bottom with a lone copy.
__________________
"As my sweet mother always said, 'son, if one hostage is good, two are better, and three, well, that's just good business!'"
ProwlAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 03:23 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Barnes & Noble Reducing Orders of New Trek Books?

E-DUB wrote: View Post
I know the whole "free market" thing is supposed to be "supply and demand", but if I go to a store looking for a particular product and they don't have it, how is that "demand" being calculated?
If the store doesn't have what you want, you go to customer service and request it. That way they know there's a demand for it.


Sxottlan wrote: View Post
I called the Barnes & Noble back tonight and asked if I could order a copy of Devil's Bargain for pick-up. I was refused. The employee told me the store computer system did not give her that option. I did not ask, but I assumed it had to do with this feud with Simon & Schuster.

All she could do was order it for home delivery. When I asked when the next copy would be in, she did not know. I was told to call back in a couple days. Useless.

I figured I would just go to Amazon tonight to, I kid you not, buy my first book off the internet. I dissemble a little bit. I've bought CDs and blu-rays off of Amazon before, but never an actual book.
You know, B&N has online ordering too. Amazon doesn't have a total monopoly -- not yet, anyway.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 03:25 PM   #25
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Barnes & Noble Reducing Orders of New Trek Books?

King Daniel wrote: View Post
How I'd love Trek to have such prominence all the time!
Coinciding with the theatre run of ST IV through to its release on VHS, then around about Seasons Five-Seven of TNG and the 25th Anniversary of TOS, and then ST (2009), would be the three times I recall bookshops around me having this kind of representation.

Some people still don't see it, though. Not long after ST 2009 came out, people from Melbourne and Brisbane posted here that their cities were seemingly "not supporting the new movie" by stocking the tie-ins - and yet, when visiting those cities myself, I was able to post pics of the movie posters throughout their CBDs, and dedicated book and toy displays in both specialist and general bookshops.

ProwlAlpha wrote: View Post
I haven't seen a sight like that since early last decade.
In Australia, we had displays like that in numerous bookstores in 2009. The one above was a specialist SF store, but even the regular chains dropped back "Star Wars" (often four shelves to two) and increased "Star Trek" (in some places one shelf to four) - for several months.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 10:01 PM   #26
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Barnes & Noble Reducing Orders of New Trek Books?

I'm surprised more you guys don't just switch over to e-books. That way you're always pretty much absolutely guaranteed a copy will be available as soon as you hit the release date. You can even pre-order them and they will automatically download onto whatever you're reading it on, whether it's a tablet, computer, or e-reader as soon as the device connects to the internet on the release date.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 10:36 PM   #27
Ktrek
Captain
 
Ktrek's Avatar
 
Re: Barnes & Noble Reducing Orders of New Trek Books?

Sxottlan wrote: View Post
I called the Barnes & Noble back tonight and asked if I could order a copy of Devil's Bargain for pick-up. I was refused. The employee told me the store computer system did not give her that option. I did not ask, but I assumed it had to do with this feud with Simon & Schuster.

All she could do was order it for home delivery. When I asked when the next copy would be in, she did not know. I was told to call back in a couple days. Useless.


So I guess I'll just wait and keep calling B&N and reserve it once it actually gets in.
If you like shopping Barnes and Noble it makes no sense to not be a member. It's only $25.00 a year and that gives you "free shipping" for online orders and 10% off anything in the store, with occasional 20% off coupons at various times of the year. I have always saved more than the $25.00. And besides I got my copy of Devil's Bargain over a week before the actual release date by pre-ordering online.

Kevin
__________________
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine
Ktrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 10:51 PM   #28
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Barnes & Noble Reducing Orders of New Trek Books?

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
E-DUB wrote: View Post
Maybe we should demand "equal space" with the SW crowd. Anybody know any of those "flash mob" folks?
In the weeks before "Star Trek" (2009) premiered, I posted several pics here of the situation in several Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane bookshops (both specialist SF and general).

"Star Wars" shelfstock was reduced and "Star Trek" shelfstock increased. In several places, amounts were reversed. Simon & Schuster Australia even started air-freighting ST titles - and absorbed the extra costs - rather than previous dependence on sea-freighted supplies.

A few months later, "Doctor Who", "Twilight" and "Star Wars" clawed back some space.

Marketing is cyclic. I expect ST to build again soon. "Star Wars" may dwindle yet again, but it'll be back, with the announced of an eventual new movie installment.


Galaxy Bookshop, August 2009 by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
(There was also a giant stack of the then-new novelization at the friont entrance!)
Some years ago I used to go to a bookshop called The Galactic Outpost in Worcester (U.K.) that had a bigger Trek section than that - it was fantastic ! They even had new copies of the old numbered novels. It closed.

Mind you, that may have had something to do with their rather 'unusual' business practices - I travelled for over an hour to get there one Saturday to find it closed with a note in the window saying that it was closed because all of the staff had gone to a Babylon 5 convention that weekend...
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 11:46 PM   #29
Cadet49
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Barnes & Noble Reducing Orders of New Trek Books?

I've noticed the reduction as well at my local Chapters Indigo as well. Perhaps, with the creation of a new version of Star Trek, via the 2009 film, there is less interest in purchasing books set in the original continuity? It would be interesting to see how sales would be for novels based on the new version of Trek. Personally, I always loved TOS and TNG growing up, and will watch those previous episodes nostalgically, but for new Trek content, I prefer the modern action- adventure feel of the 2009 film, with its faster pace of narrative. If I were to buy Trek books, I as a consumer, would personally prefer to read about the new versions of Kirk and Spock ... just my personal taste, though.
Cadet49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3 2013, 01:07 AM   #30
Infern0
Captain
 
Infern0's Avatar
 
Re: Barnes & Noble Reducing Orders of New Trek Books?

You guys have a "trek shelf" in your bookstores?

We don't even get that over here, if you are lucky you might find 1 random trek book in misc sci fi

And I do mean if you are lucky
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.