MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 28 2013, 04:24 PM   #16
E-DUB
Captain

Re: Is there any Sci-Fi in Star Trek?

We know thanks to Picard (mysteries), Worf (westerns), B'lanna (romance) and Janeway (gothic) that many of today's genres still survive, so SF probably does as well. Of course, many book previously marketed as SF in the contempory past (IE: Burroughs MArs tales) must now be regarded as fantasy so that kind of thing must have occurred too with much of todays SF moving forward to future centuries.

I certainly imagine that any knowledge of events occurring in Star Treks future are classified so any 24th century novel describing, say, 28th century events would be considered SF.

There also does seem top be a shift, as illustrated in the examples above, from passive entertainment such as text novels, movies, etc to interactive forms such as the holodeck.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 05:06 PM   #17
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
Captain Nebula wrote: View Post
Starfleet: Hey! Let's go to space!
Starfleet crew: Space is boring. Hey! Let's go to the holodeck and recreate stuff that happened centuries ago!

Well, it depends on how you convey a sense of wonder and interest to explore to the next generation.

Maybe, I'm too pessimistic but after a certain amount of interstellar discoveries the whole exploration idea might become repetitive and boring.

While the depths of our oceans are still undiscovered countries, I don't see that much public interest in deep sea exploration after the bulk of our planet's lands have been abundantly charted and explored.

As we've seen with Picard in TNG he really likes to solve riddles (e.g. Dixon Hill) and probably to form theories based on conclusions, hence his unwavering interest in archaeology which usually is to large extents an "undiscovered country", too.

It really depends on which kind of exploration you personally prefer the most and what kind of exploration scenarios our society feels should be offered or popularized the most.

Bob
I think we can take it as read that in-universe Star Trek is constantly interesting. The question's a bit like the entertainment in Star Trek thread but I'm guessing they wouldn't need sci fi because they so frequently come across something new and unknown.
Old February 28 2013, 06:19 PM   #18
E-DUB
Captain

Additionally, the rise of the SF genre occurred at a time of previously unknown scientific advancement, the mid and late 20th century. (I know some will quibble about those dates, so be it.) Scientific progress and Science Fiction seem to go hand-in-hand.
Old March 1 2013, 12:41 AM   #19
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Weren't Wells and Verne writing SF in the 19th Century? Didn't the 19th and Early 20th Century give us things like locomotives, automobiles, airplanes, the telegraph, radio and the telephone?

I don't see why SF would not exist in Star Trek's time frame. There will always be speculation about new science and technology and its impact on society. The local might shift as the fictional heroes travel to other galaxies instead of other planets.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 03:46 PM   #20
E-DUB
Captain

Oh, yes. Wells and Verne wre writing earlier, as was Gernsback. But I was tallking about the rise of the genre rather than its early years. Specifically the period where Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, and Bradbury were at their peaks and Campbell was in his heyday.
Old March 2 2013, 12:30 PM   #21
yousirname
Commander

I just watched "The Wire" and at the end, Garak lends Bashir a Cardassian novel set in the future, depicting a war between the Cardassians and the Klingons. So I guess at least the Cardassians have some form of SF. Seems reasonable to suppose other groups would, too.

I imagine the Federation take on SF would be the more rarified thought-experiment variety. Not necessarily anything to do with advances in technology but more the ideas underlying them.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 02:06 PM   #22
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

Yes...
We do not have replicators, transporters and warp drive....yet.
We have something similar to a phaser by way of laser light. All in all Trek is still Sci-Fi I would say. All good fun too.
CaptainDave1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 02:52 PM   #23
Metryq
Captain

CaptainDave1701 wrote: View Post
We have something similar to a phaser by way of laser light.
By this analogy, a slingshot is just like a firearm because both launch a projectile. One uses a leather strap; the other a chemical explosive. "Similar."

The only phaser-like function we've seen from lasers is burning/cutting. Lasers do not stun or "disintegrate" (whatever that function really is). If Active Denial could be miniaturized, that might serve as a wireless stun gun.
Old March 2 2013, 05:40 PM   #24
CaptainDave1701
Lieutenant Commander

Metryq wrote: View Post
CaptainDave1701 wrote: View Post
We have something similar to a phaser by way of laser light.
By this analogy, a slingshot is just like a firearm because both launch a projectile. One uses a leather strap; the other a chemical explosive. "Similar."

The only phaser-like function we've seen from lasers is burning/cutting. Lasers do not stun or "disintegrate" (whatever that function really is). If Active Denial could be miniaturized, that might serve as a wireless stun gun.
CaptainDave1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 05:56 PM   #25
CaptainMurdock
Lieutenant

I could see there being a PSA/Biopic recreating Pike's visit to Talos IV, but most of the happenings would be over dramatized and made gritty looking to give space travelers a real reason to stay away.
Old March 2 2013, 06:00 PM   #26
yousirname
Commander

The death penalty's not enough?
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 07:06 PM   #27
CaptainMurdock
Lieutenant

yousirname wrote: View Post
The death penalty's not enough?
Making something scarier than it actually was WITH confirmation of the death penalty will keep hands off the stove for sure.