Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 1 2013, 06:27 PM   #31
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Math question

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
No contemporary discussion of numeral bases would be complete without mentioning that, because computer memory is ultimately composed of bits, computer scientists frequently use bases that are various powers of two: binary itself (base 2), octal (base 8), and hexadecimal (base 16). Base 64 also has a place, although it's rare, if ever, for data in that base to be directly manipulated by humans.
What's awesome to me is that binary math lets you multiply and divide simply by shifting bits left and right.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 11:39 PM   #32
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
The Minbari in Babylon Five use base 11; 10 fingers plus the head.
It's not the head.
Old March 2 2013, 05:03 AM   #33
Kenbushway
Captain

To be honest the things you guys have said that is easy for you and helped understand still confuses me. Is my problem more than just learning math?
Kenbushway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 05:11 AM   #34
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Kenbushway wrote: View Post
To be honest the things you guys have said that is easy for you and helped understand still confuses me. Is my problem more than just learning math?
Math isn't easy for everyone, so don't worry. What's confusing you?

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 05:24 AM   #35
Kenbushway
Captain

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Concepts, the explaining of simple math.
A teacher would has to literally go step by step and is likely going to have to repeat it more than once. And when I learn new concepts man it gets worse.
Old March 2 2013, 05:29 AM   #36
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

A teacher would has to literally go step by step and is likely going to have to repeat it more than once. And when I learn new concepts man it gets worse.
No biggie. So, it takes you longer and more time to learn math. Maybe you have a learning disability...I taught special ed for years. What do you need explained, I'd be happy to give it a go. The neighbors are having a loud fucking party, so I'm not getting to sleep any time soon.

View my art!
Old March 2 2013, 05:58 AM   #37
Kenbushway
Captain

No biggie. So, it takes you longer and more time to learn math. Maybe you have a learning disability...I taught special ed for years. What do you need explained, I'd be happy to give it a go. The neighbors are having a loud fucking party, so I'm not getting to sleep any time soon.
I still don't get the part about 100, I've read about multiplication table, the ability for a certain number to go into 100, but I don't get it. Also I am good a science, I can understand it quite easily. since Math is the sister of science, why can't I understand math?
Old March 2 2013, 06:08 AM   #38
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Could be a learning disability, like I said. Could be that math is just harder for you to grasp, or that you haven't been taught to think about it the right way yet. Like I said, we don't have a particularly good track record for teaching math in this country. I couldn't do much math in my head until I was an adult, I was successful at math -- in advanced classes and everything, but I had no fundamental grasp of a lot of the concepts (due to missing most of 7th and 8th grades). It wasn't until I was in college taking stats, but also taking classes on how to teach more basic math, that the concepts really clicked and all of the sudden I was good at mental math -- it was all about how I was taught to look at it.

I like teaching, so if you want, I can try to help you figure it out.

give me a sec.

View my art!
Old March 2 2013, 06:12 AM   #39
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Firstly, some of the things I bring up may seem really basic and young, but this is seriously how I first really grasped math concepts in college, so please don't take offense.

Have you ever worked with a hundreds chart?

View my art!
Old March 2 2013, 06:26 AM   #40
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

The hundreds chart is a great visual aid, because it really gives you a good idea of how base ten works. You can easily see the patterns that you know about (like counting by tens, starting at any number, ie 6, 16, 26, 36, 46...). I know it seems ridiculously simple to some people, but sometimes we just need to be able to actually see the pattern in front of us to get it, you know what I mean? I didn't see a hundreds chart until I was and adult, an it would have made math so much faster for me as a kid! Like I said, I was good enough at math to be in advanced classes, but that's only because I could memorize algorithms, not because I understood the concepts.

There are other patterns that are easier to see when you look at the chart, like combinations of 10, for example. 4+6=10, 14+6=20, 24+6=30, etc. Does the visual aid help you to see the patterns at all?

View my art!
Old March 2 2013, 07:39 AM   #41
RoJoHen
Awesome

I didn't see a hundreds chart until I was and adult,
This is the first time I've ever seen one.
Old March 2 2013, 10:16 AM   #42
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Shaytan wrote: View Post
My ancestors were astute enough to know that they have also 10 toes and they used a base 20 system that survived a little in my language and in the collective culture.
For example, there is a hospital in Paris called les quinze-vingts (the 15-20) because it hosted 300 patients when it was created during the Middle Ages.
Another example : 80 = quatre-vingt = 4-20 literally.
English used to use a similar scheme -- even now, four score is understood to mean eighty as used in the Gettysburg Address. Score is an archaic word for twenty from a tally mark that was recorded when counting things (probably livestock).

Do the Belgians and Swiss still use septante, huitante/octante, and nonante instead of soixante-dix, quatre-vingts, and quatre-vingt-dix? That system never caught on in France though...

Regarding the hundreds chart, I think it would be more effective if the numbers were right-justified in the cells so the cycling over the digits would be more obvious.
Old March 2 2013, 11:26 AM   #43
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

For what it's worth, maths isn't my best either, which is odd seeing that it was my best subject when I was very young. I don't know what changed or why, but for a long time maths has been something that can readily give me headaches.
Old March 2 2013, 12:33 PM   #44
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Everybody has a limit to their understanding. Many mathematicians wouldn't be able to get their heads around the Hodge conjecture:

"Let X be a projective complex manifold. Then every Hodge class on X is a linear combination with rational coefficients of the cohomology classes of complex subvarieties of X."

which Keith Devlin in "The Millennium Problems" restates as:

"Every harmonic differential form (of a certain type) on a non-singular projective algebraic variety is a rational combination of cohomology classes of algebraic cycles."

but which has yet to be proved. There is a Millennium Prize worth $1 million if you can prove it. I haven't much of a clue about what most of the individual terms mean so I won't be trying for the prize ever.

There are seven Millennium Prize problems, each worth $1 million, of which six remain to be proved:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Prize_Problems
Old March 2 2013, 01:07 PM   #45
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
"Let X be a projective complex manifold. Then every Hodge class on X is a linear combination with rational coefficients of the cohomology classes of complex subvarieties of X."
I'd be quite happy to let X be whatever it wants, so long as it doesn't try to involve me.