Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 28 2013, 03:41 AM   #1861
Use of Time
Commodore

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I've been buying star trek books about 10 at a time from a used book store in my area. Just now getting into Federation by the Reeves-Stevens duo. I hear good things.
Old March 2 2013, 12:58 AM   #1862
Fer
Commander

I finished up Star Wars: Allegiance yesterday. Enjoyed it a lot more than Scoundrels.

March 2013 is Third Doctor Month, so to celebrate I'm now reading Doctor Who: The Wages of Sin by Lonemagpie! I'm only 18 pages in, but I'm enjoying it so far. I love that it has both Jo and Liz in it.

After that I'll be diving back in to Star Wars with Timothy Zahn's Choices of One.
Old March 2 2013, 01:18 AM   #1863
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I just finished rereading allegiance and Choices of One, and they were both as good as I remember. I really like Zahn's SW stuff, and Mara is one of my favorite characters.

I've started Star Trek TNG - Dragon's Honor. Its decent so far. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of fiction based off old asian culture (not counting more fantasy like settings, stuff like bioware's Jade Empire game) so its probably not going to get more than a decent response from me, but thats ok. I pretty much figured that out reading the summary on the back. I have a few thoughts about it at this point:

kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 01:25 AM   #1864
Snaploud
Admiral

I just finished the fourth volume of the Year of Lyndon Johnson series.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 01:55 AM   #1865
Christopher
Writer

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I've started Star Trek TNG - Dragon's Honor. ...I have a few thoughts about it at this point:

Actually that's not quite right.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 05:07 AM   #1866
rahullak
Fleet Captain

Fever Dream - Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child
rahullak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 06:38 AM   #1867
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

The Body Electric (TNG)
Old March 2 2013, 01:25 PM   #1868
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Christopher wrote: View Post
I've started Star Trek TNG - Dragon's Honor. ...I have a few thoughts about it at this point:

Since when?

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 06:36 PM   #1869
Paris
Fleet Captain

I've been having a bit of a problem finishing up Allegiance in Exile, so i've picked up both Recovery (the final 'Lost Years' book by JM Dillard) and the first book in the Brothers Keeper mini-series by MJF. Enjoying both well enough
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 07:00 PM   #1870
JD
Admiral

Last night I started A Clash of Kings, the second book in A Song of Ice & Fire, in preparation for watching Game of Thrones season 2.
Old March 2 2013, 08:59 PM   #1871
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post

Also, not connected to the quote, i do have a question about the book.

Last edited by kirk55555; March 2 2013 at 09:16 PM.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 09:47 PM   #1872
Christopher
Writer

Didn't Kirk give weapons to a native tribe in TOS to help them fight their enemies, who I think the Klingon's were arming? You can probably argue something about the show not quite having the prime directive down, and it was followed much less religiously back then, but it was still something.
The Prime Directive prevents the UFP from getting involved in conflicts that it has no stake in. What the Klingons were doing in "A Private Little War" was trying to gain a foothold that would improve their strategic position against the Federation itself. At least, that was the thinking; the episode was a Vietnam allegory, and the belief was that the Soviets' backing of communist revolutionaries in other countries would lead to a "domino effect" that would overwhelm the free world if it wasn't resisted. So it was really about the Federation and Klingons battling by proxy. Since it was about the UFP's own security, it wasn't strictly a Prime Directive issue.

Also, Kirk's rationale was that he was countering the Klingons' interference with his own interference, maintaining the pre-existing balance of power between the Hill People and villagers. He didn't give them weapons any more advanced than what the Klingons were giving the other side, and thus parity was maintained. It's a tenuous rationale, but it was a different situation from this.

Heck, I can think of two times in ST where a captain would rather watch a whole world die and then talk about how it was better to let them die then interfere. If the choice is between saving people from a natural disaster that would cause their extinction, SF says it’s better to let them all die, because even the chance that they could see advanced technology would somehow be a fate worse than death.

TNG's Homeworld is the biggest example of it. Picard is my favorite Captain, but this, to me, made me see him in a new light, and not a good one.
I've already discussed this extensively over on KRAD's Tor.com rewatch thread for the episode, so if you want to hear my thoughts and analysis of the issue, go here:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/02/sta...ation-homeward

Are the people in the dragon empire humans? The book seems to go back and fourth with this. At the beginning, it seemed to at least imply that they were humans, some how transported from Asia in the past. but, later Riker thinks something about how the people are definately humanoid.
The book says their origins are ambiguous and lost to history, but one theory is that they're descended from settlers who left Earth sometime after the Eugenics Wars.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 10:01 PM   #1873
zarkon
Captain

The "feast" scene in Dragon's Honour between Picard and the emperor was the best
Old March 2 2013, 10:06 PM   #1874
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

You folks all remember that book better than I do!

Has it really been seventeen years since it came out?
Old March 3 2013, 02:26 AM   #1875
Reanok
Commodore

I just finished reading 2 Startrek Novels theis week Brinkmanship Excellent novel by Una McCormack.Well written faced paced read.One of the best novels I've read in the last ew weeks.Also read TNG Perchance to dream by Howard Weinstein.I'ma McCoy novel The better man by Howard Weinstein.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote