Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 1 2013, 07:54 PM   #5311
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I'm curious as to why he hated TDK so much.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 08:20 PM   #5312
Gojira
Commodore

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Gojira wrote: View Post
The more I see about this movie, the less I want to see it. I guess Nolan got his brooding, dark idiot type of hero into a fourth movie. The Dark Knight 4: Man of steel. I just hope the guy playing Superman has a better superhero voice. Maybe he'll go super high pitched, to counter Bale's idiotic voice. Even better, a large part of the movie seems to be used for his origin. Thats great, because Superman is such an obscure character that he really needs his origin told, because who besides super comic fans know the origin of Superman I have the feeling that Superman 4: The Quest for Peace is no longer going to be the worst Superman movie.
From what I have heard from test audiences that have seen it, the movie is not as dark and brooding as the trailer makes it seem.

http://nukethefridge.com/2013/02/28/early-screenings-reaction-to-man-of-steel/
Well, that link just confirms that I'll hate the movie. This quote in particular is what I'm talking about

Imagine a Nolan story with Snyder effects/action
I figured Nolan would be the main person behind the story, and I HATE The dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises (TDK being my second most hated movie of all time after JJ's 2009 abomination) so, from my perspective, this is really the worst Superman movie that could possibly be made. Well, actually, I suppose they could have gotten JJ to direct it, at which point the movie would suck so badly it would cause a rift in the space time continuum and destory the universe.

Still, its going to be bad. Also, the line about it not being dark or brooding seems like a complete lie. Nolan cannot do a movie without brooding and being overly dark (not to mention horrible characters and a plot almost as bad as what the geniuses behind Transformers and ST 2009 write, but that isn't as much a producer thing, so maybe those areas might be slightly less incompetent then they were in TDK and Rises since he's just producing). I guess that, like with Batman and Spider-man, I'll just have to hope that, in 10 years or so, we'll have a reboot that turns out a good movie. I really hope the movie just bombs. I want it to fail in ways that make Superman Returns look like a blockbuster. Then, maybe Nolan will just go away and leave superheros alone.

That said, I'll probably see it on DVD, out of morbid curiosity if nothing else. I got through Rises even knowing I'd hate it (I don't hate Rises quite as much as TDK because I was prepared for it to suck, but it was a horrible movie). Man of Steel will be another trainwreck movie. I know it will suck, but I'll watch it to see how badly it sucks. Based on the trailer, which had things like bearded (hobo?) Clark and Johnathon Kent telling young clark he should have just let a bus full of children drown, this may get into so bad its entertaining territory, which is honestly the best case scenario for it.
I have my issues with TDK and the TDKR but I certainly do not hate them. Nolan can be too complex and dark and I wished he would have simplified the plot and made it a little more fun but besides that they were really well done.

I have not seen anything so far to put me off on the Man of Steel. I just wish you could be a little more open minded about the movie. You have pre-judged it and in that frame of mind you may just end up confirming your bias.
Old March 1 2013, 08:24 PM   #5313
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Well, I don't want to get into a war about it, but I'll just list a few things I disliked about the dark knight. I'm not trying to start an argument, or derail the thread. (Note: List is not really in order, i'm just typing my reasons as I think about them, and this list is only for TDK, not Rises, although some problems would fit for both) also, its in a spoiler for 1) length and 2) so people who don't care can easily ignore my post. Like I said before, I'm not trying to start a discussion, just stating a few of my problems with TDK.

sojourner wrote: View Post
SNIP....
Just to get some perspective on your outlook, are there any movies you like?
Here's my profile at criticker.com (a film rating/listing site, I use a different username, but its a list of all the movies I've watched that I can remember and have ranked so far)

http://www.criticker.com/?fl&user=htiman

Last edited by kirk55555; March 2 2013 at 12:56 AM.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 08:45 PM   #5314
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Your review of TDK wasn't very illuminating. "Bale sucks", "Ledger doesn't act like the Joker" and "the story is slow" doesn't say much. A blank page is slightly more informative. Your review of your top rated film (Serenity) contains one word "Awesome". Again, not very informative.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old March 1 2013, 08:45 PM   #5315
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Ah, you just rabidly hate Nolan's work.
Old March 1 2013, 10:09 PM   #5316
Gojira
Commodore

Well, I don't want to get into a war about it, but I'll just list a few things I disliked about the dark knight. I'm not trying to start an argument, or derail the thread. (Note: List is not really in order, i'm just typing my reasons as I think about them, and this list is only for TDK, not Rises, although some problems would fit for both) also, its in a spoiler for 1) length and 2) so people who don't care can easily ignore my post. Like I said before, I'm not trying to start a discussion, just stating a few of my problems with TDK.

Here's my profile at criticker.com (a film rating/listing site, I use a different username, but its a list of all the movies I've watched that I can remember and have ranked so far)

http://www.criticker.com/?fl&user=htiman
No reason to battle over people's opinions. There are movies I do not like either. Thanks for the link it looks like a cool site and I joined it under the same name I have here.

Last edited by Gojira; March 1 2013 at 10:48 PM.
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 11:38 PM   #5317
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Your review of TDK wasn't very illuminating. "Bale sucks", "Ledger doesn't act like the Joker" and "the story is slow" doesn't say much. A blank page is slightly more informative. Your review of your top rated film (Serenity) contains one word "Awesome". Again, not very informative.
Reviews on Criticker have a strict character limit (500, including spaces and things like periods), so any "review" I have for rated movies on there is usually just a comment about it. Also, the word "Awesome!" in Serenity's section isn't something I posted. Criticker puts a word near everything you rate, based off of the number ranking. Depending on the ranking, it will show the score and then say something like: Awesome, Great, Good, Not Good, bad, terrible. Each word is assigned based on a range of numbers, like 90-100 rated movies are called "awesome", 0-50 are terrible, etc.

sojourner wrote: View Post
Ah, you just rabidly hate Nolan's work.

I didn't even know Nolan before his Batman movies. My post on this site was pretty detailed, and like I said above, the character limit pretty much means I can't say anything detailed about videos on that site. I rabidly hate him because of TDK, before that he was a non-entity to me. I thought Batman Begins wasn't horrible,, but it was pretty mediocre. Then TDK came out, and I hated it for a lot of reasons, none of which were because of a bias towards Nolan. I'll admit I have a bias against him now because of the Dark Knight (not that you need a bias to think Rises sucks) but, since its the movie that made me hate him, you can't really say that I hate the movie because I hate him. It caused me to hate him. Just like how, before Star trek 2009, JJ Abrams was just some guy who directed a TV show I really only know by its reputation for being weird, and now I know he's a hack who destroys everything he touches. You can argue that my prerelease hate for Man of steel is because of my bias towards Nolan, and you'd be partially right. I definately would be more willing to give it a chance if nolan wasn't working on it. But, TDK is a different situation.

To put it simply, when it comes to Nolan, TDK is the cause of my hate and bias towards him, my hate for the movie is not the effect of a prexisting bias. Its the beginning of the hate, not a result. It made me into a "rabid" hater of his work, and because of it I know that, to me, everything he'll ever do will be worthless s%^t, because I hate his work.
Old March 1 2013, 11:53 PM   #5318
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Anyone who would put Serenity over A New Hope doesn't know film at all.
Old March 1 2013, 11:54 PM   #5319
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Can this thread get back to Superman instead of ganging up on one guy for his film opinions?
Old March 2 2013, 12:14 AM   #5320
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Well, we are discussing his opinion of Superman and the guy producing it. Close enough?
Old March 2 2013, 12:20 AM   #5321
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Reviews on Criticker have a strict character limit (500, including spaces and things like periods), so any "review" I have for rated movies on there is usually just a comment about it. Also, the word "Awesome!" in Serenity's section isn't something I posted. Criticker puts a word near everything you rate, based off of the number ranking. Depending on the ranking, it will show the score and then say something like: Awesome, Great, Good, Not Good, bad, terrible. Each word is assigned based on a range of numbers, like 90-100 rated movies are called "awesome", 0-50 are terrible, etc.
Anywhere else to get your full opinion then? Something more expansive?
Old March 2 2013, 12:24 AM   #5322
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I really didn't want to derail the thread. But, we are talking about Nolan, and he's a big part of the movie, so its still on topic in a way. My opinion on the movie is effected by the fact that I think he's a hack, and I can't really give an opinion on MoS without atleast bringing him up. Now, people getting riled up about my opinion of him wasn't really surprising, and it has kind of messed with the thread (although honestly it got a lot worse when I said I hated Abrams in a thread about him talking over Star wars) and I didn't want that. Still, I felt like I needed to answer the question about what I hate about TDK.

Anyway, speaking about MoS, I would love for this movie to surprise me, to go against all of my bias towards Nolan and be a good movie. Superman having a triumphant return to the big screen would be awesome. I just think there is a better chance of me getting abducted by aliens and named the emperor of their interstellar kingdom then there is of MoS being a good movie.

Anywhere else to get your full opinion then? Something more expansive?

About Serenity, or TDK? I posted what I thought was a pretty detailed post about TDK. Not all my reasons, but enough that I anything else I added wouldn't be neccesary. A paragraph about my basic problems with Bale and Alfred (not a lot of detail, but enough to get my general opinion), two paragraphs about why Ledger was a bad joker, and another big paragraph about the problems with nolan's attempt at a "realistic" Batman and what I think is a better way to portray Batman outside of comics in general. If there is something in the post you'd specifically like me to elaborate on, I'll do it. I just don't know what I need to say, outside of trying to write an essay on the movie in general.

If you're talking about serenity (which I don't think you are), I can easily talk about it,although I would point out that its tied with The Wrath of Khan as my favorite movie. Its only on top of it because I think the rankings go alphabetically if the movies are tied in the numbers. If I had to choose between them I'd go for TWoK, but besides that they're the two movies that I'd say are my favorite.
Old March 2 2013, 12:32 AM   #5323
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Accidental double post
Old March 2 2013, 12:38 AM   #5324
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Both, actually.
Old March 2 2013, 12:38 AM   #5325
Saul
Rear Admiral

Well, we are discussing his opinion of Superman and the guy producing it. Close enough?
! I didn't realize Kirk55555 was producing it.