Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old March 1 2013, 07:20 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Saldana: Uhura-Spock

Zoë Saldana spoke briefly recently about Uhura and Spock’s relationship in Star Trek into Darkness. Since the destruction of Vulcan in Star Trek (2009), fans have wondered how that would affect the relationship between the two characters, but according to Saldana, there are other things happening that impact the couple. “They’re figuring things out” said [...]

More...
TrekToday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 09:26 PM   #2
feek61
Captain

Re: Saldana: Uhura-Spock

Not really a big fan of the relationship but hopefully it will be dealt with tastefully in the next film.
Old March 1 2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Love the Spock/Uhura thing.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 11:17 PM   #4
serenitytrek1
Commander

where is spock/uhura fan?

she used to be very popular on the site?
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 11:26 PM   #5
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post

If I'm not mixing her up with another poster, she seems to have disappeared right when her Enterprise Thread was due to review TATV.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

feek61 wrote: View Post
Not really a big fan of the relationship but hopefully it will be dealt with tastefully in the next film.
This. +1
Sindatur wrote: View Post

If I'm not mixing her up with another poster, she seems to have disappeared right when her Enterprise Thread was due to review TATV.
Who could blame her?
Old March 4 2013, 11:49 AM   #7
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

IIRC, Spock/Uhura Fan left when the first trailer for Into Darkness left her underwhelmed.
Old March 4 2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

The Spock / Uhura thing is a load of forced melodrama, pandering to a tween audience conditioned to the female lead falling for the emotionally distant handsome male.

It's a lazy attempt at giving the Uhura character a 3rd dimension and probably more insulting to the character than any of the lowest Uhura moments TOS presented us with.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 02:43 PM   #9
Dream
Admiral

You guys know that Vulcan and Human sex is awesome right?
Old March 4 2013, 02:59 PM   #10
serenitytrek1
Commander

Shazam! wrote: View Post
The Spock / Uhura thing is a load of forced melodrama, pandering to a tween audience conditioned to the female lead falling for the emotionally distant handsome male.

It's a lazy attempt at giving the Uhura character a 3rd dimension and probably more insulting to the character than any of the lowest Uhura moments TOS presented us with.

I kind of disagree; I think the writers of trek 09 had an obligation to attract a female audience by putting a romance in the film.

I don’t think the romance in trek was made for the tween audience. The tween audience like the shallow and superficial over the top romance like the horrible twilight films. The romance in trek 09 was very mature and low key.

Also,Uhura just happened to be at the right place at the right time. originally the writers were going to go with Nurse Chapel but they scrapped it because Chapel couldn’t been on the bridge, Chapel belonged in the medical bay which means it would have been very hard to write a romance between spock/chapel in a 2 hour film.

So yeah.... Uhura was at the right place at the right time, it was a lot easier for JJ Abrams and his buddies to write a romance between Uhura/Spock instead of Chapel/Spock . It had nothing to do with upgrading Uhura's character because she did nothing in TOS.

Maybe nurse chapel and Spock would have made more sense ..she was the one crushing on Spock in TOS.

As JJ Abrams is more of a geek nerd than a Jork, JJ Abrams gets to live out his fantasy through uhura/spock. JJ said he paired them together because he did not like the idea of how the handsome hero which in Star Trek is Kirk always gets the girl. He wanted a nerd (in other words some one like himself) to get the girl instead.

I also disagree with it been forced.. a romatic pairing been forced is mostly subject to the actors performance in the film. Perfect examples are: Hayden Christensen and Nataile Portman or Rob Pattinson and Kristen Stewart.

Zoe Saldana and Zachary Quinto make a very good pair and are both good actors. In fact the whole cast blended together well. Nothing about TREK 09 was forced.

Last edited by serenitytrek1; March 4 2013 at 03:42 PM.
serenitytrek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 03:22 PM   #11
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I think the writers of trek 09 had an obligation to attract a female audience by putting a romance i the film....

...I also disagree with it been forced
¯\(°_o)/¯

If they were obligated, by definition their hand was forced to some degree.
Old March 4 2013, 03:27 PM   #12
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Isn't that at the core of Spocks appeal to many in the female audience and the basis of more than one TOS episode?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 03:37 PM   #13
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Isn't that at the core of Spocks appeal to many in the female audience
As a by-product of the character, possibly, but the stoic outsider getting the girl is as cliché and tired today as your lantern jawed hero getting the girl has ever been.

and the basis of more than one TOS episode?
Any Spock / Uhura inference in TOS is lucky coincidence. It's not even something I EVER saw brought up until post Trek XI

There was probably enough Kirk / Uhura interaction in TOS as well if you looked for it. Heck, even the Uhura / Scotty stuff in the movies was BLATANT.
Old March 4 2013, 03:42 PM   #14
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

As a by-product of the character, possibly, but the stoic outsider getting the girl is as cliché and tired today as your lantern jawed hero getting the girl has ever been.
Did you really expect Star Trek to come up with a completely new approach to love stories? Of course it's all been done before.
Old March 4 2013, 03:47 PM   #15
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Did you really expect Star Trek to come up with a completely new approach to love stories? Of course it's all been done before.
Oh, well that's okay then.