Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 1 2013, 12:23 AM   #46
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

Re: After Abrams

they should make a pure traditional trek film that would tank at the box office and kill trek forever just to shut up future demands for pure trek.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 12:32 AM   #47
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

junxon wrote: View Post
they should make a pure traditional trek film that would tank at the box office and kill trek forever just to shut up future demands for pure trek.
Wasn't that called Insurrection?
Old March 1 2013, 12:35 AM   #48
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I'm inclined to think that after Star Trek XIII, there will be several years of inactivity and then Paramount will announce a total reboot with new actors playing Kirk and Spock & the gang. This one will be a clean restart, as if no previous version of Trek had ever existed and it was being created for the first time, with everything being completely reimagined from the Enterprise to the uniforms (goodbye both prime and Ambramsverse continuities).

And CBS will just continue to sit back and continue what they've been doing with Trek on the TV front for the past eight years.
Old March 1 2013, 03:46 AM   #49
The Wormhole
Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
It continues to surprise and amuse me just how much of a reation I can get out of using the word "Pure." This is more fun than the zero thing!
With all the paradigm shifts within the franchise it is a difficult concept.

I don't know if I read you correctly, but what I missed a lot ever since Trek movies went down the wrath / revenge / conflict / war path is the original concept that Star Trek is about to go where no one has gone before (and not to go where George Lucas or JMS went, it's derivative), explore space, meet different cultures and how to handle human and interspecies relationships and conflicts.

That's what I always assumed to be Roddenberry's Star Trek Vision, that's what used to be Star Trek's trademark and - I have to put it bluntly - the animated series had more of these Star Trek characteristics than the same amount of "Star Trek" movie screen time I had to endure in previous years.

Unless, as you put it, a "traditionalist" puts Star Trek back onto its original tracks to create a noticable distinction from "Star Wars" or "Star...Ship Troopers" I don't see a promising future for the franchise.

Bob
Honestly, I just use the words "tradition" and "pure" simply to get a rise out of people. And it works much better than I usually intend. I'm really not that picky about Star Trek and honestly don't care about what is or isn't "true to Roddenberry's vision." But really, being an "anythign goes" kind of guy doesn't really make for an entertainng online persona.
Old March 1 2013, 08:49 AM   #50
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Honestly, I just use the words "tradition" and "pure" simply to get a rise out of people.
There is technical term that describes this particular approach.
Old March 1 2013, 11:33 AM   #51
F. King Daniel
Admiral

But in all honesty, Trek fandom is contrarian by nature and therefore anything that is not the current Trek is therefore Pure Trek. Abrams Trek cannot be considered Pure until after it is done and another incarnation of Trek is being made. Just like Enterprise did not become Pure until Trek XI's release.

This is the fundamental truth of purity in Star Trek.
This is actually true. I remember the Ex Astris Scientia website trashing Enterprise quite completely - the ship and technology, the continuity, the characters and storylines - and then when JJ Abrams came along I read "...at least Enterprise was pure Trek..." and laughed by ass off.
Old March 1 2013, 02:14 PM   #52
The Wormhole
Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
But in all honesty, Trek fandom is contrarian by nature and therefore anything that is not the current Trek is therefore Pure Trek. Abrams Trek cannot be considered Pure until after it is done and another incarnation of Trek is being made. Just like Enterprise did not become Pure until Trek XI's release.

This is the fundamental truth of purity in Star Trek.
This is actually true. I remember the Ex Astris Scientia website trashing Enterprise quite completely - the ship and technology, the continuity, the characters and storylines - and then when JJ Abrams came along I read "...at least Enterprise was pure Trek..." and laughed by ass off.
And by extension, Voyager was constantly ridiculed and criticized during its run, but as soon as Enterprise came around everyone online became "at least Voyager was pure Star Trek." Trekkies - we only like what came before.
Old March 1 2013, 02:55 PM   #53
Robert Comsol
Commodore

And by extension, Voyager was constantly ridiculed and criticized during its run, but as soon as Enterprise came around everyone online became "at least Voyager was pure Star Trek." Trekkies - we only like what came before.
I don't agree. IMHO, what we've seen in recent Star Trek is a steady "expectation erosion". If you think it can't get "worse" you better think again. If you feel the latest incarnation really isn't good, the contrast can at least help to discover more positive things in the previous one. Thus, attitudes can change which I think is only natural and last but not least human.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 09:13 PM   #54
Dix
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Trek lives on, but its soul is dead.

In 10-15 years the studio should consider making a new live action Trek series. In the meantime I think an animated series wouldn't be a bad idea.
Dix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 11:27 PM   #55
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Dix wrote: View Post
Trek lives on, but its soul is dead.
Nah, but its katra has been placed in Karl Urban's brain.

"Remember."
Old March 2 2013, 09:32 PM   #56
poundpuppy29
Lieutenant Commander

View poundpuppy29's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to poundpuppy29 Send a message via Yahoo to poundpuppy29

I just hope there is new Trek after Abrams
Old March 3 2013, 08:33 PM   #57
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

poundpuppy29 wrote: View Post
I just hope there is new Trek after Abrams
There will be, it's just a question of when.
Old March 7 2013, 09:17 PM   #58
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Paramount will continually produce Star Trek movies for the foreseeable future. The movie biz has become centered around tentpole franchises, and thanks to Abrams, Star Trek is securely situated as a success in that category.

There really aren't a lot of franchises out there, and it's an expensive risk to try to create a new one (ie, John Carter), so nobody is going to discard one wantonly. Some franchises like Harry Potter and LOTR have an end date (they are going to stop after they stretch The Hobbit till it squeaks, right?) So an open-ended franchise is the best kind of all. Star Trek, Star Wars, James Bond and The Avengers are all golden names in Hollywood.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7 2013, 09:25 PM   #59
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Whether it's on film or TV there will be more Trek. It will be in the JJverse (no going back to prime continuity folks) and may well feature new ships, cast and crew.

And it won't jump forward to the 24th century - they won't reboot TNG.
Old March 7 2013, 09:38 PM   #60
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Whether it's on film or TV there will be more Trek. It will be in the JJverse (no going back to prime continuity folks) and may well feature new ships, cast and crew.

And it won't jump forward to the 24th century - they won't reboot TNG.

I agree with half of that. I can't imagine that they'll ever go back to the earlier continuity, but I can see somebody rebooting TNG one of these days. TNG nostalgia is bound to kick in at some point, especially as the generation that grew up on that show ends up in charge . . . . .