MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 28 2013, 11:55 AM   #5296
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

^Yeah. I think it's a genuine piece of gushing! And I'm willing to believe that the gushing is merited!
Old March 1 2013, 01:59 AM   #5297
JD
Admiral

So far I haven't been disappointed by anything I've seen, so I can see where this praise could very well be appropriate.
Old March 1 2013, 03:01 AM   #5298
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

The more I see about this movie, the less I want to see it. I guess Nolan got his brooding, dark idiot type of hero into a fourth movie. The Dark Knight 4: Man of steel. I just hope the guy playing Superman has a better superhero voice. Maybe he'll go super high pitched, to counter Bale's idiotic voice. Even better, a large part of the movie seems to be used for his origin. Thats great, because Superman is such an obscure character that he really needs his origin told, because who besides super comic fans know the origin of Superman I have the feeling that Superman 4: The Quest for Peace is no longer going to be the worst Superman movie.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 03:47 AM   #5299
TayLaLaLa
Fleet Captain

^
But in time, they will join you in the sun.
Some but not all it seems.
TayLaLaLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 04:06 AM   #5300
davejames
Vice Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
The more I see about this movie, the less I want to see it. I guess Nolan got his brooding, dark idiot type of hero into a fourth movie. The Dark Knight 4: Man of steel. I just hope the guy playing Superman has a better superhero voice. Maybe he'll go super high pitched, to counter Bale's idiotic voice. Even better, a large part of the movie seems to be used for his origin. Thats great, because Superman is such an obscure character that he really needs his origin told, because who besides super comic fans know the origin of Superman I have the feeling that Superman 4: The Quest for Peace is no longer going to be the worst Superman movie.
Nah. I'm pretty confident that Superman IV will ALWAYS be the worst Superman movie.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 04:32 AM   #5301
Gojira
Commodore

From what I have heard from test audiences that have seen it, the movie is not as dark and brooding as the trailer makes it seem.

http://nukethefridge.com/2013/02/28/...-man-of-steel/
Old March 1 2013, 04:45 AM   #5302
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

I have zero problem with them doing the origin again. It's not only one of the most famous modern myths of our age, but it's crucial to do what this film seems like it's trying to do; show how the world would react, for better and worse, if Superman really did appear.

Plus, the last time we saw the origin on the big screen was in 78 (unlike Spider-Man who got his origin repeated 10 years later). Yeah, on TV there was Smallville, but that was a VERY decompressed version that tried to spread the butter over ten years' worth of bread and lost all coherency as an actual origin story by the time Clark had already fought Brainiac, Doomsday and Darkseid and almost married Lois before he ever put on the spandex.

For a film trying to reinvent Superman for our age, I think doing the origin is absolutely crucial.
Old March 1 2013, 05:29 AM   #5303
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

kirk55555 wrote:
have the feeling that Superman 4: The Quest for Peace is no longer going to be the worst Superman movie.
It would be a terrible mistake for you to take Kenobi's advice.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 06:11 AM   #5304
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Has anyone ever called her "Boob Girl"?
It's been awhile, but aren't there a couple issues in Johns' JSA were PG has to deal with some sort of hilariously overmatched stalker, and she comments that the costume sometimes causes these sorts of problems?
Old March 1 2013, 12:54 PM   #5305
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
I have zero problem with them doing the origin again. It's not only one of the most famous modern myths of our age, but it's crucial to do what this film seems like it's trying to do; show how the world would react, for better and worse, if Superman really did appear.

Plus, the last time we saw the origin on the big screen was in 78 (unlike Spider-Man who got his origin repeated 10 years later). Yeah, on TV there was Smallville, but that was a VERY decompressed version that tried to spread the butter over ten years' worth of bread and lost all coherency as an actual origin story by the time Clark had already fought Brainiac, Doomsday and Darkseid and almost married Lois before he ever put on the spandex.

For a film trying to reinvent Superman for our age, I think doing the origin is absolutely crucial.
Very well said. I was among those going 'another origin story, what?' at the outset, but I'm happy to admit I was wrong.

I'm 41 years old and saw S:TM in the cinema when it came out and countless times since. But that was generations ago. We don't have to be beholden to a movie over 30 years old. Let's have a new origin story for a new audience.
Old March 1 2013, 05:27 PM   #5306
Gojira
Commodore

^ Me too. At first I did not want another origin story. This past decade we have had so many origins stories that I didn't want another. Plus, everyone knows Superman's origins so did we really need to see it?

I have since changed my mind. From all accounts it lookis like it will be a very good story. I can't wait to see it!
Old March 1 2013, 06:01 PM   #5307
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Not directly related to the movie but what the hell, here's a new Discovery video with Cavill doing some extreme driving in China.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 07:30 PM   #5308
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Gojira wrote: View Post
From what I have heard from test audiences that have seen it, the movie is not as dark and brooding as the trailer makes it seem.

http://nukethefridge.com/2013/02/28/early-screenings-reaction-to-man-of-steel/
Well, that link just confirms that I'll hate the movie. This quote in particular is what I'm talking about

Imagine a Nolan story with Snyder effects/action
I figured Nolan would be the main person behind the story, and I HATE The dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises (TDK being my second most hated movie of all time after JJ's 2009 abomination) so, from my perspective, this is really the worst Superman movie that could possibly be made. Well, actually, I suppose they could have gotten JJ to direct it, at which point the movie would suck so badly it would cause a rift in the space time continuum and destory the universe.

Still, its going to be bad. Also, the line about it not being dark or brooding seems like a complete lie. Nolan cannot do a movie without brooding and being overly dark (not to mention horrible characters and a plot almost as bad as what the geniuses behind Transformers and ST 2009 write, but that isn't as much a producer thing, so maybe those areas might be slightly less incompetent then they were in TDK and Rises since he's just producing). I guess that, like with Batman and Spider-man, I'll just have to hope that, in 10 years or so, we'll have a reboot that turns out a good movie. I really hope the movie just bombs. I want it to fail in ways that make Superman Returns look like a blockbuster. Then, maybe Nolan will just go away and leave superheros alone.

That said, I'll probably see it on DVD, out of morbid curiosity if nothing else. I got through Rises even knowing I'd hate it (I don't hate Rises quite as much as TDK because I was prepared for it to suck, but it was a horrible movie). Man of Steel will be another trainwreck movie. I know it will suck, but I'll watch it to see how badly it sucks. Based on the trailer, which had things like bearded (hobo?) Clark and Johnathon Kent telling young clark he should have just let a bus full of children drown, this may get into so bad its entertaining territory, which is honestly the best case scenario for it.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 07:37 PM   #5309
davejames
Vice Admiral

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post

I'm perfectly fine with them doing an origin, I just don't want it to take up half the friggin movie again (or, as with Batman Begins, 3/4 of the movie).

I figured Nolan would be the main person behind the story, and I HATE The dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises (TDK being my second most hated movie of all time after JJ's 2009 abomination) so, from my perspective, this is really the worst Superman movie that could possibly be made. Well, actually, I suppose they could have gotten JJ to direct it, at which point the movie would suck so badly it would cause a rift in the space time continuum and destory the universe.
Wow. I'm hardly the biggest Nolan fan, but even I thought TDK was pretty damn fantastic. I don't know what one could possibly "hate" about it.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 07:53 PM   #5310
sojourner
Vice Admiral

SNIP....
Just to get some perspective on your outlook, are there any movies you like?