TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 28 2013, 08:15 AM   #31
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Re: Anybody remember "Gargoyles"?

This was definitely one of the very best cartoons from my childhood, rivaling Batman:TAS.

Heck, I'd say one of the very best period.
Old February 28 2013, 10:16 AM   #32
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

it was good, almost as dark as Batman. There were a lot of good cartoons back then, especially from Disney. Loved Goof Troop, Tale Spin was Air/Steampunk before there WAS Air/Steampunk, and Bonkers was a great spiritual successor to Who Framed Rodger Rabbit and a great homage to old school cartoons.
No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 10:16 AM   #33
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Kestra wrote: View Post
Yes, it's up there with Batman as one of my all-time favorites.
Ditto. A Disney cartoon that wasn't about cute talking animals for once.
Well, I liked those too. They were just a different type of cartoon.

Kestrel wrote: View Post
This was definitely one of the very best cartoons from my childhood, rivaling Batman:TAS.

We are totally twins.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 11:23 AM   #34
Takeru
Fleet Captain

JD, watch it, it's really good! If you like it, please consider buying the DVDs of season 1 (13 episodes) and season 2, part 1 (26 episodes). There's still a chance Disney will release the missing 26 episodes of season 2, there are a few shows that get continued after years of nothing.

I just remembered something weird about the first episode, the opening sequence was shown at the end right before the end credits. I get that they didn't want to start the episode with the opening because it would have spoiled what was going to happen, but why didn't they drop it completely from that episode?
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 12:49 PM   #35
FreezeC77
Commodore

Loved the show a lot. I think I learned more about Shakespeare from Gargoyles then I did from High School english class

You had Macbeth and characters from it and then you had the fairies from Midsummer Night's Dream.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 03:29 PM   #36
Christopher
Writer

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
Loved the show a lot. I think I learned more about Shakespeare from Gargoyles then I did from High School english class

You had Macbeth and characters from it and then you had the fairies from Midsummer Night's Dream.
Although, of course, Gargoyles's version of Macbeth was far more historically accurate than Shakespeare's. (The king at the time, James I, was believed to be a descendant of Banquo, so Macbeth had to be written as a villain. It may be that Shakespeare's own sources for the play were themselves distorted and propagandistic in their portrayal of Macbeth, since history is written by the victors and Macbeth lost.) Most of the human monarchs and nobles who appear in the historical flashbacks in the show were real people, aside from the Castle Wyvern characters.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 04:33 PM   #37
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post

We are totally twins.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Although, of course, Gargoyles's version of Macbeth was far more historically accurate than Shakespeare's. (The king at the time, James I, was believed to be a descendant of Banquo, so Macbeth had to be written as a villain. It may be that Shakespeare's own sources for the play were themselves distorted and propagandistic in their portrayal of Macbeth, since history is written by the victors and Macbeth lost.) Most of the human monarchs and nobles who appear in the historical flashbacks in the show were real people, aside from the Castle Wyvern characters.
As somebody who's probably descended from Duncan, I've kinda always preferred Shakespeare's take...
Old February 28 2013, 06:14 PM   #38
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Yes, it's up there with Batman as one of my all-time favorites.
Ditto. A Disney cartoon that wasn't about cute talking animals for once.
Well, I liked those too. They were just a different type of cartoon.
I never said I hated the others, just that Gargoyles was a refreshing change.

(DuckTales, Talespin and Darkwing Duck were the best of the rest...)

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 08:15 PM   #39
flavaflav
Commander

What about Rescue Rangers?

Back to Gargoyles, I never saw the 'new animation' season 3 eps until I did my rewatch. I take it they used Jasmine from "Aladdin" as a model? That animation was wretched
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 12:09 AM   #40
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

flavaflav wrote: View Post
They're okay, but they can't beat dialogue like this:

"I am the terror that flaps in the night! I am the toothpaste you can't squeeze back into the tube! I am DARKWING DUCK!"

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 01:57 AM   #41
_C_
Commander

Back to Gargoyles, I never saw the 'new animation' season 3 eps until I did my rewatch. I take it they used Jasmine from "Aladdin" as a model? That animation was wretched
Except for the one episode where Proteus showed up again. I wish ALL of the eps were animated that way. It was done with movie quality animation work in my opinion.
Old March 1 2013, 05:15 AM   #42
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

The Disney Afternoon... and where I lived, you got Batman TAS right after. And Gargoyles was so full of win... How many times as a young Trekkie, did I crack up when Demona and Xanatos sparred?
Both series made me read Shakespeare and enjoy it.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 05:24 AM   #43
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

They're okay, but they can't beat dialogue like this:

"I am the terror that flaps in the night! I am the toothpaste you can't squeeze back into the tube! I am DARKWING DUCK!"
Fun as Darkwing was, I'd have to put it fourth after DuckTales, Talespin and Rescue Rangers myself. Not in that order though, probably the reverse.
Old March 1 2013, 03:33 PM   #44
Christopher
Writer

Darkwing was weird for me, because it was superficially in the DuckTales universe but didn't really fit with it stylistically. DuckTales was a very Disneyesque cartoon universe; aside from the anthropomorphic animals and fantasy phenomena, it tended to be relatively naturalistic. If Scrooge McDuck fell out of a plane without a parachute, you knew he'd die if he hit the ground and would need to be saved before then. But if Darkwing fell out of a plane and hit the ground, he'd just turn into an accordion for a bit and then be fine once they cut to a new scene. Because Darkwing Duck was set in more of a Warner Bros./Looney Tunes universe than a Disney universe. Darkwing was really a thinly veiled copy of Daffy Duck in Stupor Duck/Scarlet Pumpernickel/Duck Dodgers mode, albeit Disneyfied and domesticated by giving him an adoptive daughter -- and a little more competent than Daffy in that he actually succeeded in stopping the bad guys most of the time.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 04:54 PM   #45
Kytee
Commander

I loved Gargoyles growing up, I should go back at re-watch it sometime. Though it's sad to hear not all of it has been released on DVD yet.

Oh and I loved DuckTales and Tailspin. I still use the line 'Any landing you walk away from is a good one' which I picked up from launchpad McQuack

-Kytee
Kytee is offline   Reply With Quote