Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 28 2013, 11:37 PM   #151
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: The old "DS9 stole from B5" thing

JoeD80 wrote: View Post
The name Babylon was picked because it means "Gate of God." Why is that? Because there was a jump gate next to the station. What's next to DS9? Why it's a wormhole!
Considering a Jump Gate is basically a comon occurance in the Babylon 5 verse what with it being a device to use their version of FTL on ships not big enough to do it on their own, whereas the wormhole was a super rare occurance that made it practicle to get to a distant and unexplored region of the galaxy and there are no other wormholes like that IT'S NOT A STOLEN IDEA. Their not even remotly similar except big blue thing ships fly through.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 12:23 AM   #152
EnsignRicky
Commodore

Man-made or not, two Stargate type space anomalies that spit out guests of the week sounds a little similar to me.
Old March 1 2013, 12:26 AM   #153
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
Saul wrote: View Post
I'm not pissed that we have two great shows instead of one.
I agree!
It's just nice to see somebody who was there admit "they purposely took what they liked from the B5 script and put it in the DS9 script," and were even considering stealing it outright.

Indeed, though, what came later was two of the best space shows ever.

It's still a tenuous link at best, this really proves nothing. Heresay etc. The fact that they were already going to produce another ST sequel show anyway and also the fact that most of the in-universe stories are totally dissimilar really leads me to believe nothing was taken from B5.

RAMA
Old March 1 2013, 03:10 AM   #154
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

You're all wrong.

It's not a ripoff of B5, it's a ripoff of Space: 1999. And I have the baseless claims to prove it.
Old March 1 2013, 03:50 AM   #155
Neroon
Mod of balance

RandyS wrote: View Post
EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
So once this is settled, what's the prize?
A shot of whiskey and a gun.
... and two bullets.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 04:04 AM   #156
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
Man-made or not, two Stargate type space anomalies that spit out guests of the week sounds a little similar to me.
Yes, I seem to recall that was a method of long distance Space travel in Buck Rogers.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 05:31 AM   #157
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yep.

It doesn't matter how something "sounds" to someone, or what people are "willing to believe." All that matters is what's true.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 05:53 AM   #158
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Yep.

It doesn't matter how something "sounds" to someone, or what people are "willing to believe." All that matters is what's true.
But you know that the truth is a three edged sword and once the avalanche has started, it's too late for the pebbles to vote.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 02:59 PM   #159
Forbin
Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
JoeD80 wrote: View Post
The name Babylon was picked because it means "Gate of God." Why is that? Because there was a jump gate next to the station. What's next to DS9? Why it's a wormhole!
Considering a Jump Gate is basically a comon occurance in the Babylon 5 verse what with it being a device to use their version of FTL on ships not big enough to do it on their own, whereas the wormhole was a super rare occurance that made it practicle to get to a distant and unexplored region of the galaxy and there are no other wormholes like that IT'S NOT A STOLEN IDEA. Their not even remotly similar except big blue thing ships fly through.
So, pretty much exactly the same thing functionally, which serves exactly the same purpose in both shows, except for its origin.
Forbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 03:12 PM   #160
Forbin
Admiral

My feeling, from 20 years of reading all the available quibbling, is this: jms presented his presentation to paramount. Paramount turned him away, but said to themselves "This is really a pretty good format. Let's develop something along those lines but put it in our Trek franchise universe." So you got the basic setup of the Casablanca-like atmosphere on a space station near a wormhole/jumpgate. Maybe some of the character beats were lifted or inspired from jms' treatment, with some changes to fit into the Trek universe.

Then once the show got started, the two diverged into their own things and went, mostly their separate ways.

Maybe B5 liked the defiant and came up with the White Star.

Maybe (probably) DS9 saw how cool the Shadow War idea was, and worked the Dominion War up.

As has been said, show biz ain't averse to borrowing from each other.

And just to be clear that I'm not trying to tweak the fight or troll or anything - I emphasize and reiterate that I still love both shows dearly, and I'm glad we got them both.
Old March 1 2013, 04:12 PM   #161
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
So, pretty much exactly the same thing functionally, which serves exactly the same purpose in both shows, except for its origin.
Only if you're willing to twist evidence to support an agenda.

Jump gates were B5's version of warp drive, they were present in every major system and allowed ships from anywhere in the B5 galaxy to visit the station. It's an interstellar onramp.

The Bajoran wormhole was a unique astronomical feature that only provided access to a distant and unexplored region of the galaxy. The purpose of its existence was to provide a stationary show with a legitimate method of accessing unexplored space to satisfy the exploration aspect of Star Trek.

The only similarity is that they're blue swirly things in space, and I'm pretty sure that the inspiration for that aspect of the wormhole in DS9 was TNG's Barzan wormhole, which was a blue swirly thing in space.

Maybe B5 liked the defiant and came up with the White Star.

Maybe (probably) DS9 saw how cool the Shadow War idea was, and worked the Dominion War up.
Maybe (probably) your evidence is circumstantial at best, and you chose to stir up crap here because of an anonymous, factually dubious comment left on a Gawker media blog.
Old March 1 2013, 05:20 PM   #162
Forbin
Admiral

a) You get way too far into pointless minutia and specifics with the wormhole/jumpgate thing. You're also twisting the evidence to support your own beliefs. Functionally, in terms of story, they're the same thing - a portal that transports our characters around and brings in guest stars. Big picture. Each show took the setup, the story device of a portal, and developed it in a different, unique way.

b) Maybe you need to drink decaf, lighten up, join in a fun conversation, stop being nasty, and not accuse people of things.
Old March 1 2013, 05:33 PM   #163
EnsignRicky
Commodore

I'd agree with GodBen, but I'm simply not willing to twist evidence to support an agenda.

Zooty Zoot Zoot
Old March 1 2013, 05:43 PM   #164
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

"C'mon guys stop challenging my accusing people of things - why do you have to be so accusatory?! Golly, this is all just fun!"
Old March 1 2013, 05:59 PM   #165
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I'd say DS9 was definitely influenced a lot by B5. But B5 was influenced a lot in its presentation by Star Trek so it's really only fair.

I wish DS9 stole B5's attitude towards mythology. The conflict between the Shadows and the Vorlons had a LOT more to it than the Prophets vs Pah-wraiths, which was ridiculously cookie cutter in comparison.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote