Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 28 2013, 04:20 AM   #16
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: DOS Screen Challenge

You people are old
Old February 28 2013, 05:30 AM   #17
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ What, you never had a dedicated Pong console hooked up to your TV?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 06:51 AM   #18
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Well, to be fair, a lot of them are very obscure, like the sports games for example. Unless you've played them, you'd not even be able to recognize what they are since all sports games by their nature are very similar up to a point.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 11:07 AM   #19
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

the only one to throw me off was the football one, when my grandmother got a computer with a CD-ROM drive (which was a HUGE thing back then) the computer came with about 20 cd's that had shareware and free versions of just about ever DOS game ever
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 05:01 PM   #20
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

A lowly 26.

And I only played about a dozen of them. The rest I got right either through guesswork or general familiarity with the game's appearance. Nice to see Stunts featured; I played the heck out of that game. Had an eensy-weensy crush on Cherry Chassis, too.

The game had some fantastic features too: the very flexible track maker/editor, the multiple camera angles, the race replay feature. Plus, some neat cars; the Countach rocked!
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 06:25 PM   #21
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Holdfast wrote: View Post
A lowly 26.

And I only played about a dozen of them. The rest I got right either through guesswork or general familiarity with the game's appearance. Nice to see Stunts featured; I played the heck out of that game. Had an eensy-weensy crush on Cherry Chassis, too.

The game had some fantastic features too: the very flexible track maker/editor, the multiple camera angles, the race replay feature. Plus, some neat cars; the Countach rocked!
I fucking loved that game.

Did you ever exploit the physics bug where running into the barrier fence at top speed would send you flying through the air--sometimes for several minutes? I recorded so many replays back in the day of me doing that. Of course, you're dead as soon as you hit the ground, but the insane flying was too much fun not to abuse.

Here's a rather tame example of it:

It was possible to hit the wall just right and fly much longer, though.
"You are one of the most unpleasant individuals I have encountered on this forum. I have no respect for you, and I doubt I ever will, since you keep insisting on being a complete and utter ass." - Timewalker
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 06:40 PM   #22
Holdfast

Yup. Great bug!

I actually tried playing Stunts again a year or so ago, and couldn't quite recapture the fun feeling. I guess you it's true what they say about never being able to go home.

I'm disappointed & surprised that Youtube doesn't seem to have that clip of Cherry Chassis blowing a kiss at you though.

(IIRC, the programmers/artists on the game played the racers; that was a cool touch too.)
Old February 28 2013, 06:51 PM   #23
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I'm disappointed & surprised that Youtube doesn't seem to have that clip of Cherry Chassis blowing a kiss at you though.

(IIRC, the programmers/artists on the game played the racers; that was a cool touch too.)
Maybe I can fire up DOSBox tonight, record a little video, and clip that into a gif for you.

(And I didn't know that about the opponents! Neat!)
"You are one of the most unpleasant individuals I have encountered on this forum. I have no respect for you, and I doubt I ever will, since you keep insisting on being a complete and utter ass." - Timewalker
Old February 28 2013, 08:46 PM   #24
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

The developers behind that have had an interesting history. Distinctive Software also developed the first 2 Test Drive games, and in general they made some great games, which I might add had some great soundtracks. Anyone remember the Test Drive II soundtrack? You can see many similarities in the interfaces of their games during that period. In 1991, they got bought by EA and became EA Canada and had a hand in developing some of the Need for Speed games.

Here's a rock rendition of the Test Drive II theme:

Old February 28 2013, 10:03 PM   #25
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

Yup. Great bug!

I actually tried playing Stunts again a year or so ago, and couldn't quite recapture the fun feeling. I guess you it's true what they say about never being able to go home.

Don't say I never did anything for you.

Old March 1 2013, 02:28 AM   #26
Holdfast

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
The developers behind that have had an interesting history. Distinctive Software also developed the first 2 Test Drive games, and in general they made some great games, which I might add had some great soundtracks. Anyone remember the Test Drive II soundtrack? You can see many similarities in the interfaces of their games during that period. In 1991, they got bought by EA and became EA Canada and had a hand in developing some of the Need for Speed games.

Here's a rock rendition of the Test Drive II theme:

That actually reminds me somewhat of bits of the Burnout 2 soundtrack (one of my all-time fave game soundtracks). Nice work.

Talking of the staff on the game, I think one of the programmers who played your opponents on Stunts ended in charge of the the FIFA games at EA. Either "Bernie" or "Skid" IIRC. Not "Cherry" though; but she got a small part on The Commish. Not joking. I read it somewhere after reinstalling the game last year and wondering what happened to them all. That, and I wanted to see what Cherry looked like now, of course.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Yup. Great bug!

Don't say I never did anything for you.

You, sir, are as much a god among men as Cherry is a goddess among women.
Old March 1 2013, 07:42 AM   #27
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

That actually reminds me somewhat of bits of the Burnout 2 soundtrack (one of my all-time fave game soundtracks). Nice work.

Talking of the staff on the game, I think one of the programmers who played your opponents on Stunts ended in charge of the the FIFA games at EA. Either "Bernie" or "Skid" IIRC. Not "Cherry" though; but she got a small part on The Commish. Not joking. I read it somewhere after reinstalling the game last year and wondering what happened to them all. That, and I wanted to see what Cherry looked like now, of course.
I'm not surprised. Seems like a good way to give a nod to their early history It's also kind of wild to think that the developer that started out developing the Test Drive series ended up creating a series later on to compete with it, and now is one of the best selling game franchises, outselling the series they started on.
Old March 1 2013, 09:41 AM   #28
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I got 38. Quite a few of those were process of elimination. I got the Wing Commander one wrong and felt a bit ripped off.

The first three games I got for my 486 back in the day were all on there. X-Wing, Alone in the Dark, and Links 386 Pro. Though it was at least a year before I got Links 386 Pro to run. The VESA driver which was supposed to be on the hard disk wasn't there and it took a while before I could get any sort of online without dialing long distance. Thanks a lot Packard Bell.
Old March 1 2013, 03:21 PM   #29
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
You people are old
You know your getting old when you can remember computer games making only two sounds.

Bip.
Bop.
Bip.
Bop.
lol

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 04:19 PM   #30
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Yoda wrote: View Post
The first three games I got for my 486 back in the day were all on there. X-Wing, Alone in the Dark, and Links 386 Pro. Though it was at least a year before I got Links 386 Pro to run. The VESA driver which was supposed to be on the hard disk wasn't there and it took a while before I could get any sort of online without dialing long distance. Thanks a lot Packard Bell.
That's what you get for running Links 386 on a 486!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote