Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 28 2013, 01:40 PM   #1
MarsWeeps
Captain

They killed Kelso!

I just re-watched "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and wondered why they killed off Kelso. I know, it was just a pilot and no guarantee that the series would be approved.

I thought Paul Carr did a great job and thought the character of Kelso would have been an asset to the series.
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile
Re: They killed Kelso!

Hey use the spoiler tag pal; I haven't gotten to this one yet!
Old February 28 2013, 01:53 PM   #3
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

MarsWeeps wrote: View Post
I just re-watched "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and wondered why they killed off Kelso. I know, it was just a pilot and no guarantee that the series would be approved.

I thought Paul Carr did a great job and thought the character of Kelso would have been an asset to the series.
Well, I think the character was slated to die in the script even before the role was cast. It's too bad a good actor had to play a character that would die. The alternative, of course, would be to intentionally hire a crappy actor for the role that no one would be dissapointed to see die.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Mytran
Fleet Captain

That's television for ya! I would imagine it suits some actors quite well - a juicy role, a fun death scene and no weekly grind of a serial.
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 02:58 PM   #5
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

According to his interview in STARLOG (June 1990), Paul Carr loved doing WNMHGB, thought it was a fun job, and thought the show would be a winner. And he was very unhappy about being killed off.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 03:10 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

The same reason they killed Mitchell and Dehner. It's simply a function of the way '60s TV worked. They didn't have many ensemble shows; a lot of shows just focused on one or two leads surrounded by various one-shot guest stars. The classiest dramas of the time were anthology shows, and that was thus the ideal that drama producers aspired to; but shows with continuing leads helped draw in ratings, and shows with standing sets, costumes, etc. cost less to make. So a lot of ongoing series were designed to fit a pseudo-anthology model, with the regular characters getting caught up in the stories of different guest characters each week. You can see in the first season how the episodes tended to focus heavily on guest characters, whether crewmembers like Mitchell, Bailey, Riley, Boma, and the like or outsiders like Harry Mudd, Charlie Evans, the Romulan Commander, etc.

So Kelso was just there to be a friend of Mitchell's, someone whose murder would show that Mitchell had lost his humanity and become a danger to everyone. He existed only to serve that particular story and was never a candidate for continuation any more than Mitchell and Dehner were.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 03:35 PM   #7
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

It was nice to see Paul Carr get a regular role in the second season of Buck Rogers. Almost like having Kelso back again.
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 03:41 PM   #8
Use of Time
Commodore

Poor guy never saw it coming.
Old February 28 2013, 03:45 PM   #9
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
According to his interview in STARLOG (June 1990), Paul Carr loved doing WNMHGB, thought it was a fun job, and thought the show would be a winner. And he was very unhappy about being killed off.
I guess he wasn't that crazy about his recurring role as Clark on Voyage? He did come back in the 2nd season of that series as benson and got killed at the end. Poor guy never catches a long term break. He did a few episodes of Buck Rogers, too.
Old February 28 2013, 04:08 PM   #10
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

"Where No Man Has Gone Before" remains one my favorite Trek episodes, period, and I do periodically think about TOS continuing with that crew (Sulu as a science officer, Alden as communications officer, Piper as doctor, etc.).

I didn't see this episode until I was a kid sometime in the late 1970s, but I remember seeing how Kelso died and going "That is so cool..."
Old February 28 2013, 05:11 PM   #11
Duane
Captain

If you think Kelso, or Gary Mitchell for that matter, died in this episode, you clearly did not read the short story 'Return to Where No Man Has Gone Before' which I wrote in the 9th (grade circa 1979. )

Come to think of it, no one read it except myself and the teacher. I think I got an 'A!" : )
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 12:17 AM   #12
MarsWeeps
Captain

As far as Mitchell being killed off, was he really? We see him fall into the grave and a huge rock falls on top of it. It looked to me like the rock just covered the top of the grave and didn't necessarily crush Mitchell to death.

They could've done a follow up where Mitchell returns and this time he's REALLY pissed off!
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 12:39 AM   #13
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Star Trek: The Wrath of Gary?
Old March 1 2013, 12:50 AM   #14
Wingsley
Commodore

roger1999 wrote: View Post
If you think Kelso, or Gary Mitchell for that matter, died in this episode, you clearly did not read the short story 'Return to Where No Man Has Gone Before' which I wrote in the 9th (grade circa 1979. )

Come to think of it, no one read it except myself and the teacher. I think I got an 'A!" : )

Fanfic as a school writing project? Really?
Old March 1 2013, 01:18 AM   #15
Marsden
Captain

As far as Mitchell being killed off, was he really? We see him fall into the grave and a huge rock falls on top of it. It looked to me like the rock just covered the top of the grave and didn't necessarily crush Mitchell to death.

They could've done a follow up where Mitchell returns and this time he's REALLY pissed off!

Really! The guy took a full phaser rifle blast to the chest and it didn't even bother him, I doubt a rock, no matter how big, would have really hurt him. Let's assume Dehner's force lightning weakened him enough for the rock to win.
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote