Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 28 2013, 11:50 PM   #61
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Unexpected fan favorites who take over the show?

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I also think Avon is the best character in Sci-fi and his and Blake's 7 influence can be seen in later shows such as Farscape and Firefly.
Most definitely. Avon is an incredible character and probably one of the most fascinating in Sci-fi TV.
auntiehill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 04:31 AM   #62
the G-man
Commodore

I never said it wasn't created for Mr. T; I said Peppard THOUGHT it would be his show.
The thread is about "unexpected fan favorites" (i.e. supporting characters) "who take over the show" (i.e., they go from being the supporting character to the star despite the original intent of the series).

BennyRussel wrote:
George Peppard was supposed to be the star of The A-Team, but it was Mr. T that took over the spotlight.
You agreed, stating:
Oh, very much so.
Mr. T did not take over the show. The show was about him from conception. Peppard's ignorance of his intended role in the show in no way means Mr. T took over. Mr T was the star from the beginning.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 05:32 AM   #63
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Well the thread has gone "off point" more than once with posts bringing up examples that don't quite fit the premise. Wasn't Xena a re-occuring guest-star rather than a supporting character? Fraiser was a one off character who goes from that to reoccuring to regular to his own spinoff. Sheldon as noted was always a lead in TBBT, who often has his own story in episodes. Howard seems to be more of a breakout, going from a supporting role to having entire episodes revolve around him. ( more so with the addition of Bernadette)

As for Mr. T and the A-Team, my memories of the show has dimmed, but I never got the impression BA was the central character/lead.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 06:00 AM   #64
Dream
Admiral

od0_ital wrote: View Post
I think Seven of Nine's takeover of VOY was planned, though, since they cast a beautiful woman and put her in skin tight clothin' by her third episode.

Sure, she showed up as a drone, but ya know they weren't gonna keep her like that.

Gotta get the male demographic, and that was the way they did it.

Well, they certainly weren't getting the male demographic with the bad writing!

Last edited by Dream; March 1 2013 at 06:14 AM.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 06:11 AM   #65
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
od0_ital wrote: View Post
I think Seven of Nine's takeover of VOY was planned, though, since they cast a beautiful woman and put her in skin tight clothin' by her third episode.

Sure, she showed up as a drone, but ya know they weren't gonna keep her like that.

Gotta get the male demographic, and that was the way they did it.

Well, they certainly weren't get the male demographic with the bad writing!
We're easily distracted.

"Weak dialog, derivative plot....BOOBIES!!!!!!!!"
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 09:18 AM   #66
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

hehehehehhe.....boobies....

Old March 1 2013, 01:13 PM   #67
Starkers
Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post
Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I also think Avon is the best character in Sci-fi and his and Blake's 7 influence can be seen in later shows such as Farscape and Firefly.
Most definitely. Avon is an incredible character and probably one of the most fascinating in Sci-fi TV.
Villa just, just, nudges ahead of him for me, but it's kinda hard to imagine one without the other, a great double act and two great characters, neither of whom got neutered as the show went on. He could be heroic, but on the whole Villa remained a coward, and Avon could be caring, but on the whole he remained a cold, calculating bastard to the end.

Between them they had all the best lines too...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 10:07 PM   #68
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Nobody has mentioned David Hewlett's Dr. Rodney MacKay on Stargate Atlantis. That role was originally written for an African American actor who would play an 'unflappable astro physicist' and they had trouble casting the part and at the last minute called in Hewlett to reprise Rodney. According to a Gateworld interview with Hewlett, he thought he was going to have more of a limited role following Weir around and giving status reports. He never expected all the screen time and guns. After the pilot episode they started changing the character to play towards Hewlett's strengths.
Old March 2 2013, 04:25 AM   #69
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

^^
But he didn't unexpectedly take over the show eventually. He was only unexpected in the casting process. By the time we were watching (ie, the pilot episode), he was one of the stars that we were ALREADY familiar with, right?

I don't think it's possible for main stars to take over a show they're already a main star on, really. A better Atlantis argument might be Zelenka or Lorne since they started off as more background characters, if they had only used them more instead of keeping them so secondary.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote