Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 25 2013, 02:35 PM   #121
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Convention Circuit - Least Favorite Person Associated With Trek?

Also, being disappointed with an actor is much more likely if you put them on a pedestal. A lot of trek fans engage in what I'd call "people worship", and so therefore it makes it incredibly hard for them to live up to your expectations.

I'm one of those people that has zero interest in meeting actors from Trek and getting their autographs. Such things don't mean anything to me, and paying money for a quick hello and handshake is silly. So my perspective is very different than a lot of Trek fans.
Old February 26 2013, 08:38 AM   #122
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile

heavy lids wrote: View Post
Stoek wrote: View Post

Exactly. Some of the people that are complaining about actors being rude to them probably need to take some time and reflect on why.
First of all so far as I know none of the actors who attend conventions are being forced to do so.

Further more while certainly some people's expectations are unrealistic, in many cases I don't believe they are.
You're right, they're paid to be there. However, they're not paid to politely deal with people that don't consider the actors feelings or artistic integrity. Like I said before, if an actor is rude to you...it's probably because you did something that was inconsiderate.
That is specious logic on a par with "If a cop shoots someone they were probably doing something to deserve it."

Also, being disappointed with an actor is much more likely if you put them on a pedestal. A lot of trek fans engage in what I'd call "people worship", and so therefore it makes it incredibly hard for them to live up to your expectations.

I'm one of those people that has zero interest in meeting actors from Trek and getting their autographs. Such things don't mean anything to me, and paying money for a quick hello and handshake is silly. So my perspective is very different than a lot of Trek fans.
I think that keeping ones expectations realistic is a very good idea. And I certainly don't fancy spending money for a grip and grin myself either.

However that does not change the fact that just because it's not what you or I would do, does not mean that those who do choose it are completely without validity to report back in some cases that they had a negative experience.

I don't think that expecting basic civility from a professional entertainer is too much, and clearly there are times when some of those entertainers have not managed said civility.
Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 04:14 AM   #123
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

I wonder which convention goers these actors actually leave happier. The ones who get to tell their friends about the nice, fairly normal hello and handshake they got. Or the ones who get to spend endless hours as the center of attention ranting about what an asshole so-and-so is.

Last edited by Jonas Grumby; February 28 2013 at 05:49 AM.
Jonas Grumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 04:42 AM   #124
teacock
Admiral

You're right, they're paid to be there. However, they're not paid to politely deal with people that don't consider the actors feelings or artistic integrity. Like I said before, if an actor is rude to you...it's probably because you did something that was inconsiderate.
Actors are just people. Sometimes they are rude because they are in a bad mood and sometimes because they are just dicks. Saying it's always the fan's fault is a bit silly.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 07:04 AM   #125
_C_
Commander

I met two voice actors who aren't from Star Trek, but they did voice characters I'm really fond of. This happened at Botcon in 2009.

Peter Cullen, aka Optimus Prime -- SUPER, super nice guy. I thanked him for his hard work and his eyes got all teary. He led me by the hand around the table and gave me a big hug and a kiss on the cheek. Super, super sweet guy. I still cannot believe how TINY Peter Cullen is! I stand 5'1" and I'd be surprised if he's 5'6"! Such a sweet little man and he can generate that strong, deep, authoritative voice many Transformers fans are familiar with. In his panel, I jokingly asked him what Optimus Prime's pickup line is, and he thought for a moment, smiled and said in the voice, "Nice shine!"

David Kaye, aka voice of Sesshoumaru in Inuyasha/Beast Wars and TF Armada Megatron/ TF Animated Optimus Prime/The Enzyte "This is Bob" voice -- He ended up in the restaurant across the street from the con while I was eating lunch there. I saw his jacket out of the corner of my eye, so I waited for him to finish talking to who he was talking to(while standing RIGHT by my table) and was all "Oh my God, David Kaye! Can I hug you?" I just blurted it out. He said "Sure!" And he gave me a little squeeze when I hugged him. I told him to his face that his Megatron voice is sexy. He laughed and he did his "yeeees" for me. lol He gave me and my friends autographs there so we didn't have to wait in line. Then he played with my Unicron figurine for a few minutes. It was great!

I have their autographs in a cardboard Optimus Prime folder, which is now in my church choir binder. I see them every single Thursday and Sunday when I have to get into my music.
Old February 28 2013, 07:51 AM   #126
teacock
Admiral

C what a great question you asked Cullen!!

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old February 28 2013, 12:38 PM   #127
Captain Nebula
Lieutenant Commander

I have to wonder how much hand sanitizer Shatner goes through. So many fans. So many germs. Sci-Fi geeks aren't the most hygienic people in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if Shatner had a complex.
Old February 28 2013, 03:19 PM   #128
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Captain Nebula wrote: View Post
I have to wonder how much hand sanitizer Shatner goes through. So many fans. So many germs. Sci-Fi geeks aren't the most hygienic people in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if Shatner had a complex.
Hey, speak for yourself. I'm so clean, you could eat off my head.

Not that I would want you to...
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 08:35 PM   #129
Captain Nebula
Lieutenant Commander

RandyS wrote: View Post
Hey, speak for yourself. I'm so clean, you could eat off my head.
Actually, I was speaking from the experience of some of the conventions I've been to...
Old February 28 2013, 11:31 PM   #130
teacock
Admiral

The stories I could tell on that topic.

It's very embarrassing that the worst elements of the stereotype don't take any searching to find. Quite the opposite.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 1 2013, 05:10 AM   #131
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post
Really?

Please share.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 05:26 AM   #132
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

You have to say there's a difference though between insisting an actor whore themselves out as their character and just asking them to write the name of their character under their signature. The characters of Star Trek have strong emotional meaning in a lot of people's lives.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 06:31 PM   #133
nascartrekkie
Ensign

I have been to quite a few conventions.
Jonathan Frakes (x3)- fantastic all three times
Marina Sirtis - was great and remembered my daughter and I at the photo op
Avery Brooks - took time for everyone in line. Long line but so friendly.
Gates McFadden - filled in once when J. Frakes couldn't get there do to snow storm in Maine. She was great and very friendly.
Walter Koenig - my first con. very nice but low key.
Michael Dorn - nice but also low key.
James Doohan - great story teller. friendly but rushed.
Majel Barret - nice but quiet.
nascartrekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 10:45 PM   #134
teacock
Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
Really?

Please share.
It's a very small world down under, I don't think I could do it without folk being recognizable.

I'll just say this: if you can afford a 600.00 VIP ticket you can afford deodorant and a t-shirt that isn't crumbling off your back. That's a very general description of a great many people.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old March 3 2013, 02:13 AM   #135
Xhiandra
Lieutenant Commander

Stoek wrote: View Post
Xhiandra wrote: View Post
Reading this thread, I can't help but sympathise with the "rude" actors, tbh.

They're being asked/required to pretend complete strangers are their friends or something approaching... I'd be completely weirded out in their place (no, I don't go to conventions).
Exactly. Some of the people that are complaining about actors being rude to them probably need to take some time and reflect on why.
First of all so far as I know none of the actors who attend conventions are being forced to do so. They know generally what the fans are like so if they find that situation un suitable to their peace of mind then they should either refuse to participate, or to limit their participation.

Further more while certainly some people's expectations are unrealistic, in many cases I don't believe they are.
Oh, I do realise they're receiving monetary compensation for their presence and I certainly didn't mean to disparage the convention goers, personally it's not my thing*, but different strokes and so forth.
I just can't help but empathise with Shatner reacting coldly to whoever wanted to put his arm around his shoulders for a photo, for instance: I'd be really weirded out if a complete stranger started putting his arm around my shoulders.
Thankfully, not being famous, I rarely have to deal with such matters.

*While there are some actors that would certainly be interesting to meet (Sir Patrick Stewart above all), for me it'd have to be in a context other than "you did a show some time back and I really liked it"; more a professional context or a "friend of a friend" fortuitous event otherwise it's just awkward from the get-go, IMO.
Xhiandra is offline   Reply With Quote