RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,843
Posts: 5,220,504
Members: 24,229
Currently online: 681
Newest member: lagrangecalv

TrekToday headlines

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 28 2013, 03:33 PM   #1291
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral
 
Vendikarr's Avatar
 
Location: Vendikarr
Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

DarthTom wrote: View Post
On the way to work this morning I stopped at the gas station and I saw a dog sitting in a pickup truck next to me. I'm not a pet owner so it hadn't occured to me until seeing the dog and rewatching last week's episode last night

But there is a complete lack of animals on the show - other than the walkers eating a stray deer. Not even in Woodbury are there pets. What happened to all of the dogs and cats? Did the zombies eat all of them?

Also seeing the dog this morning it occured to me that trained attack dogs might be a great defense against the zombies
My guess is as food supplies began running low, domesticated animals like dogs and cats were the first to go. I am sure there were people who were hesitant about eating fluffy, but the need to survive would win out every time.

Plus dogs barking would be like babies crying. It's ringing the dinner bell for walkers.
__________________
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 04:12 PM   #1292
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

Vendikarr wrote: View Post

My guess is as food supplies began running low, domesticated animals like dogs and cats were the first to go. I am sure there were people who were hesitant about eating fluffy, but the need to survive would win out every time.

Plus dogs barking would be like babies crying. It's ringing the dinner bell for walkers.
Tis true. However, some well trained dogs are trained not to bark and to attack on command. They would be a valuable asset in protecting a group.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 04:49 PM   #1293
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Also seeing the dog this morning it occured to me that trained attack dogs might be a great defense against the zombies
This article postulates that even stray dogs would be able to take care of zombies rather easily.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 05:59 PM   #1294
Scout101
Admiral
 
Scout101's Avatar
 
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

real answer is: how often do you see animals on ANY show? Unless there needs to be one, you don't see any. Too many rules about animals working on tv productions, generally not worth it.

in-universe, zombies went after that horse, so imagine they'd have eaten dogs/cats en masse as well. There'd still be a ton of them, though, and probably effective against zombies. the advantages they provide would be worth the noise for the most part. Turned out pretty useful in WWZ.

Only concern is whether the magical disease we know nothing about is transmitable to dogs, or if it's strictly human. We haven't seen any zombified animals yet. But if a dog's main weapon is his jaw, and biting caused infection, could see people actively killing dogs and cats to avoid having to also deal with zombified predators as well as actual walkers.
__________________
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 06:21 PM   #1295
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

Scout101 wrote: View Post
real answer is: how often do you see animals on ANY show? Unless there needs to be one, you don't see any. Too many rules about animals working on tv productions, generally not worth it.
Eddie, Frasier. Every episode.

in-universe, zombies went after that horse, so imagine they'd have eaten dogs/cats en masse as well. There'd still be a ton of them, though, and probably effective against zombies. the advantages they provide would be worth the noise for the most part. Turned out pretty useful in WWZ.
Excatly. They can be trained predators.

Only concern is whether the magical disease we know nothing about is transmitable to dogs, or if it's strictly human. We haven't seen any zombified animals yet. But if a dog's main weapon is his jaw, and biting caused infection, could see people actively killing dogs and cats to avoid having to also deal with zombified predators as well as actual walkers.
Yea, the show is silent on if any other mammal other than humans can get the disease.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 06:25 PM   #1296
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral
 
Vendikarr's Avatar
 
Location: Vendikarr
Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

I don't know if people are thinking through a dog versus walker battle.

Typically, a canine's attack is designed around causing enough damage that the victim weakens due to a loss of blood. Also, when a person is attacked by a dog, most of the victim's efforts are defensive, in trying to block the attack in some way.

A walker, on the other hand, will not take a defensive stance. Since we have seen them eat a horse, we can assume they will eat a dog should they get a hold of one. So a dog attacking a walker will meet an active attack.

The walker will try to grab and bite the dog until it's brain is damaged, or the head is removed from the body. There is no weakening from a loss of blood, and even spilling the guts won't slow it down.

And living animals have an instinctive fight or flight instinct. Since we haven't seen zombie animals, I don't believe a dog will turn from the bite. But if the dog takes enough abuse, it may retreat. Then you have a dog that may bleed out on its own and a damaged walker following it.

I would put one dog against one walker at 60/40 odds, in favor of the walker.
__________________
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 06:28 PM   #1297
the G-man
Commodore
 
the G-man's Avatar
 
Location: to your immediate right
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

According to the Walking Dead wiki, animals don't reanimate. Though it might be interesting to postulate whether chimps, who share 90+% of the DNA of humans, would.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 06:37 PM   #1298
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

Vendikarr wrote: View Post

I would put one dog against one walker at 60/40 odds, in favor of the walker.
That's a fair assessment of a dog v. walker. I think however it depends on the type of dog as well. Obviously a poodle would be at a distinct disadvantage versus an English Mastif which can grow to over 230 lbs

Attack Dog Breeds
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 06:42 PM   #1299
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral
 
Vendikarr's Avatar
 
Location: Vendikarr
Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

DarthTom wrote: View Post

Obviously a poodle would be at a distinct disadvantage
walker chow

versus an English Mastif which can grow to over 230 lbs
I'd probably go 60/40 odds in favor of the dog

Attack dogs in the new world would need to be retrained to focus almost exclusively on the throat, with the intent to sever the head from the body.
__________________
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 06:48 PM   #1300
wissaboo
Captain
 
wissaboo's Avatar
 
Location: canada
View wissaboo's Twitter Profile
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

a dog is going to have to go for the head which I don't think is natural for them. Sure you could train them too but I don't think our band of hero's have the time or the resources for that right now. They would be good for protection from other humans though if you could get them to stay quiet and had the resources to feed them.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 07:33 PM   #1301
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral
 
DarthTom's Avatar
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

wissaboo wrote: View Post
a dog is going to have to go for the head which I don't think is natural for them. Sure you could train them too but I don't think our band of hero's have the time or the resources for that right now. They would be good for protection from other humans though if you could get them to stay quiet and had the resources to feed them.

The people in Woodbury have the time and resources to retrain to them do both.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 08:03 PM   #1302
Turd Ferguson
Commodore
 
Turd Ferguson's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

The question about animals is a good one. Another one is, who in hell is mowing all the grass? I understand in Woodbury the Governor probably assigns people to mowing the grass, but what about in the zombie infested areas? They look perfectly maintained, although the zombie apocalypse has been happening for a whole year (if I don't mow my yard every week, it's grown out of control!) I have noticed the prison yard seems to be actually be growing, though.

Also, who is maintaining the haircuts in this group? Daryl seems to be the only one whose hair remains unkempt, everybody else has perfect hair (albeit greasy looking). Carol's hair hasn't grown an inch since she was first introduced. Did Glenn use to be a hairstylist before everything went to shit?
__________________
"Divine intervention is unlikely." - The Doctor
Turd Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 08:20 PM   #1303
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral
 
Vendikarr's Avatar
 
Location: Vendikarr
Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post
Also, who is maintaining the haircuts in this group? Daryl seems to be the only one whose hair remains unkempt, everybody else has perfect hair (albeit greasy looking). Carol's hair hasn't grown an inch since she was first introduced. Did Glenn use to be a hairstylist before everything went to shit?

I'm gonna say Carol. I can see her scumbag husband not wanting to spend the money on a haircut and making her do it. And she got good at it so she wouldn't get hit. And Daryl looks unkempt because he likes Carol and is uncomfortable with letting her cut his hair.

Of course that is just my theory.
__________________
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 09:07 PM   #1304
wissaboo
Captain
 
wissaboo's Avatar
 
Location: canada
View wissaboo's Twitter Profile
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

Turd Ferguson wrote: View Post
The question about animals is a good one. Another one is, who in hell is mowing all the grass? I understand in Woodbury the Governor probably assigns people to mowing the grass, but what about in the zombie infested areas? They look perfectly maintained, although the zombie apocalypse has been happening for a whole year (if I don't mow my yard every week, it's grown out of control!) I have noticed the prison yard seems to be actually be growing, though.

Also, who is maintaining the haircuts in this group? Daryl seems to be the only one whose hair remains unkempt, everybody else has perfect hair (albeit greasy looking). Carol's hair hasn't grown an inch since she was first introduced. Did Glenn use to be a hairstylist before everything went to shit?
he delivered pizzas

we don't know what maggie or carol did before. Maybe they cut hair. Or Lori. There was a scene with her cutting Carl's hair in the first season.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 09:35 PM   #1305
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain
 
TREK_GOD_1's Avatar
 
Location: Delta Vega
Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
I don't know if people are thinking through a dog versus walker battle.

Typically, a canine's attack is designed around causing enough damage that the victim weakens due to a loss of blood. Also, when a person is attacked by a dog, most of the victim's efforts are defensive, in trying to block the attack in some way.

A walker, on the other hand, will not take a defensive stance. Since we have seen them eat a horse, we can assume they will eat a dog should they get a hold of one. So a dog attacking a walker will meet an active attack.
Yeah, but as a thinking predator, canines can be balls-to-the-wall wild, but if you have ever watched some dogs fight, they actually jump around--a strategy, if you will, to avoid being hit or bit while attacking. It is an instinct of species (even if all dogs do not employ it when fighting).

A dog attack on a walker could go in the dog's favor, as they are still operating with a truly functioning brain, and are natural fighters/killers. Not all humans are born with that.

Take away whatever skills a living human may possess, and a walker is just a thing clawing until it gets something in its mouth with no tactical advantages.
__________________
"...to be like God, you have the power to make the world anything you want it to be."
TREK_GOD_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
the walking dead, twd

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.