Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old February 28 2013, 09:13 AM   #16
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Voyager again, for the first time

Neelix found a wingman?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 04:40 PM   #17
Lynx
Rear Admiral

"Caretaker" is number 3 on my Voyager favorite episode list (after "Cold Fire" and "Persistence Of Vision") and in my opinion the best pilot episode in any Star Trek series, maybe in all of the series I've watched. Right now I can't remember anything which beats "Caretaker" when it comes to pilot episodes.

The characters is introduced in a very good way and the episode is exciting and entertaining from the first minute to the last.

The only thing I really miss is a banjo duet between The Caretaker and Neelix. Just think of those two playing that "Dueling Banjo" theme from that movie.

The we could have had the old lady from the holographic farm dancing and clapping her hands in front of them. Now that would have made my day, she's a dead ringer to an old woman who lived in my hometown when I was a kid.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 05:10 PM   #18
teya
Vice Admiral

^ Ah, Voyager. Promulgating stupid Indian stereotypes & stupid farm people stereotypes all in one fell swoop...
Old February 28 2013, 07:50 PM   #19
Lynx
Rear Admiral

^^
I don't find those farm people stupid.

And if we're going to nitpick, they weren't supposed to be "real" farm people but holographic farm people.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 08:28 PM   #20
teya
Vice Admiral

Lynx wrote: View Post
^^

And if we're going to nitpick, they weren't supposed to be "real" farm people but holographic farm people.
Actually, I said the stereotypes were stupid. And they were. Corny accents, banjos, a slutty version of Ellie Mae Clampett and, well, corn... Yee haw! Let's have a hoe-down!

Once again, it's a perfect example of using stereotypes that make it patently obvious that TPTB have never set foot on a farm.

And since Janeway supposedly grew up in farm country (even to the point where she could tell the difference between manures by smell), that's a stereotypical (and unrealistic) image they took from her brain to create the illusion.

ETA: You really don't think that the stereotype of a slutty farm girl is offensive? Stupid?

Last edited by teya; February 28 2013 at 09:00 PM.
teya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 09:17 PM   #21
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

teya wrote: View Post
ETA: You really don't think that the stereotype of a slutty farm girl is offensive? Stupid?
Not as long as they stay away from the schtick of her brothers chasing her for some (Sorry couldn't resist )

Yea, they did go overboard, when I recently did my rewatch, I couldn't help of thinking of 2001 Maniacs (Came out in 2005)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?

Last edited by Sindatur; February 28 2013 at 10:16 PM.
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 09:52 PM   #22
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

^^

Actually, I said the stereotypes were stupid. And they were. Corny accents, banjos, a slutty version of Ellie Mae Clampett and, well, corn... Yee haw! Let's have a hoe-down!

Once again, it's a perfect example of using stereotypes that make it patently obvious that TPTB have never set foot on a farm.

And since Janeway supposedly grew up in farm country (even to the point where she could tell the difference between manures by smell), that's a stereotypical (and unrealistic) image they took from her brain to create the illusion.

But they didn't take it from Janeway's brain! They took it from Paris's brain and it was straight out of his Beverly Hillbillies late night popcorn viewing.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 10:19 PM   #23
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

TEYA wrote
^ Ah, Voyager. Promulgating stupid Indian stereotypes & stupid farm people stereotypes all in one fell swoop...
But wasn't that supposed to be the point, that the Caretaker's holograms were a "stupid stereotype"?

As for Indian stereotypes, when I think of Chakotay in this ep, I think of Tom's conversation with Janeway in New Zealand.

PARIS: Chakotay will tell you he left Starfleet on principle, to defend his home colony from the Cardassians. I, on the other hand, was forced to resign. He considered me a mercenary, willing to fight for anyone who'd pay my bar bill. Trouble is, he was right. I have no problem helping you track down my friends in the Maquis, Captain. All I need to know from you is what's in it for me.

teacake wrote: View Post
And Voyager stunted you. Squashed your little brains into its petty definition of wonder and its instant fix "science". Pummeled you with racist and specieist truths all newspeaked into Federation ideals. GUTTED the Borg. How are you supposed to expand and grow after that happens?!

Thank goodness I had TOS. I never suffered like you young 'uns did.

You are so funny.

signed,

a former young'un
Old February 28 2013, 10:50 PM   #24
teya
Vice Admiral

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
As for Indian stereotypes, when I think of Chakotay in this ep, I think of Tom's conversation with Janeway in New Zealand.
And, see, as an Indian, I think of such cringeworthy moments as Tom's life belonging to Chakotay and incoherent babble about turning into a bird & flying out of there.

A noble savage is still a savage. A positive stereotype is still a stereotype.

They couldn't even be bothered to give the man a real tribe.
Old February 28 2013, 10:51 PM   #25
teya
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
^^

But they didn't take it from Janeway's brain! They took it from Paris's brain and it was straight out of his Beverly Hillbillies late night popcorn viewing.

Now that makes sense. In a Voyager sort of way.
Old February 28 2013, 11:13 PM   #26
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Those farm people were from the 1930s.

They weren't stereotypes more so than archetypes.

Old February 28 2013, 11:34 PM   #27
teya
Vice Admiral

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

I'm curious and need the perspective of folks from outside the states.

Based on TV, what do you think Americans sound like? Do we all sound alike to you?

I mean, I know the average American can't tell the difference between an Australian accent & a British accent, so I'm wondering if it's the same for you. Does NY and Georgia sound the same to you?
Old March 1 2013, 12:04 AM   #28
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

No, they sound very different IRL. But people on television all have the same accent unless the character is about them being from the south, or the bronx or whatever.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2013, 12:04 AM   #29
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Doctor Doolittle I am not, but it's pretty obvious to delineate one side of the country form the other.

But the window we get into America is movies and scripted fiction where after so many classes and a lot of coaching that a uniform acceptable accent for TV has been constructed.

I quite like Dallas, Nashville and Hart of Dixie at the moment, but 90 percent of the ascents in those shows are fake, and terrible, which is only going to misrepresent my belief in Americana a little more.

I've met a handful of Americans in my life and they never sound like TV.

North from south is piss easy.

The different souths?

Too far north and Canadianisms start slipping in.

Maybe this is a better question for someone who watches "relaity TV" or has actually travelled through America.

Old March 1 2013, 02:42 AM   #30
Dick_Valentine
Commander

View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post

I'm curious and need the perspective of folks from outside the states.

Based on TV, what do you think Americans sound like? Do we all sound alike to you?

I mean, I know the average American can't tell the difference between an Australian accent & a British accent, so I'm wondering if it's the same for you. Does NY and Georgia sound the same to you?
I'm British....

I can tell the difference between Dale Earndheart Jr and Frasier Crane. And Homer Simpson sounds different to Dr Cox from Scrubs, etc.

Ask someone here to do a NY accent and they'll probably do Chandler/Joey from friends (How you doin,...could I BE any more of a stereotype, etc)
Ask them to do anything southern they'll probably do Foghorn Leghorn.

P.S. tell your friends we have more than 2 accents (Royal and cockney..) thank you very much