Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 27 2013, 06:01 AM   #46
safarial
Lieutenant Commander

Re: the Star Wars Expanded universe

do you think we'll have two sets of star wars EU?
safarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 06:50 AM   #47
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

safarial wrote: View Post
do you think we'll have two sets of star wars EU?
i do. i mean the current EU novels have been going on for twenty years now. i really doubt they'll just abandon that.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 01:25 PM   #48
Mr Light
Admiral

I think they will.

Lucas forced them to kill Anakin Solo to prevent reader confusion when the Prequels came out. Are they really going to allow two separate but equal continuities starring the exact same characters in the exact same time period? That would be so confusing. Not everybody pays attention to details the way we do

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 01:46 PM   #49
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Splinter of the Mind's Eye seems alive and well, despite the fact that its ship sailed decades ago.
Old February 27 2013, 01:52 PM   #50
Relayer1
Commodore

There will be a new EU. I'd put good money on it, and the old one will end.

There may well be some stuff pulled forward into the new one if it doesn't contradict anything...
Old February 27 2013, 07:38 PM   #51
safarial
Lieutenant Commander

From one of the writers of the sequel trilogy Laurence Kasdan

http://badassdigest.com/2013/02/11/r...nded-universe/
Old February 28 2013, 02:03 AM   #52
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

I hope they can basically wrap it all up and tell a 'finale' story. It would suck to leave things hanging the way they did with the Republic Commando series when the Clone Wars overwrote the EU.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 02:29 AM   #53
DarKush
Rear Admiral

^
I'm with you. I think Del Ray has enough time to come up with a decent finale before the new Star Wars film. The same goes for Dark Horse.

Though if there is a new EU I wonder if any of the old EU stuff will bleed into it? Basically all of the pre-OT stuff could still remain 'canonical'.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 02:35 AM   #54
safarial
Lieutenant Commander

What would we want to see in a finale?
Old February 28 2013, 04:25 AM   #55
Mr Light
Admiral

Haven't they already said this new "Crucible" series will be the finale of the Han Luke Leia story?

I think Luke needs to make a great and noble self sacrifice to save the Jedi from an ultimate evil. Han and Leia I think should survive into old age after all the suffering they've been through with their children. Jaina needs to create the new Imperial dynasty with Jagged Fel, of course. Ben needs to become the next great Jedi without falling into darkness.

The big question to me is, who/what should be the final villain? Has to be someone powerful in the Dark Side, but they just did the ultimate evil in Abeloth and they just did a story with a whole mess of Sith, so where do you go from there?

If I understand my Legacy continuity correctly, it can't be the Darth Krayt group, correct? Because they stay a complete mystery until the Legacy comic, right?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 05:06 AM   #56
safarial
Lieutenant Commander

I have a feeling Legacy will have to be redone, since we've seen references in the legacy comics to the current eu,it will need a new background continuity. Since cade is descwnded from ben, who's descended from Luke, and Mara, and there's a good chance that in the new movies, Luke will be following the no attachement rule.
Old February 28 2013, 05:07 AM   #57
safarial
Lieutenant Commander

There following the Lucas guidelines, and Lucas said he didn't picture Luke getting married.
Old February 28 2013, 12:52 PM   #58
FreezeC77
Commodore

I don't see any type of grand ending to this EU if there is one. The only type of finality would involve one or all of the big 3 dying. With the movies starting up again and the big 3 likely all to appear again are they really going to kill off the characters in the EU?
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2013, 01:31 PM   #59
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

safarial wrote: View Post
I have a feeling Legacy will have to be redone, since we've seen references in the legacy comics to the current eu,it will need a new background continuity. Since cade is descwnded from ben, who's descended from Luke, and Mara, and there's a good chance that in the new movies, Luke will be following the no attachement rule.
Which is by no means a given in the post-Rebellion era. With Lucas no longer the one controlling Star Wars (at best, he's a creative consultant now), the new writers and producers of future productions are free to change that no attachment rule and even the rule of two for the Sith--and it really stands to reason that after thousands of years, both the Jedi and the Sith have undergone changes in their policies numerous times in the past and will do so in the future, IMO.

But regarding Legacy, even if the Skywalker line is revamped in the new movies, it really shouldn't effect it too much. We're still two or three years away from Episode VII (perhaps four with Abrams directing it), so that should be plenty enough time for the upcoming second volume of Legacy with Ania Solo (and eventually Cade) to tell its story and wrap things up before then.
Old February 28 2013, 09:56 PM   #60
Relayer1
Commodore

Why doesn't someone ask Supershadow ?

Oh, his 'best bud' George sold the franchise didn't he...