CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 27 2013, 08:10 PM   #76
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles
Re: Dallas - Season 2

I think that's the big difference between the J.R./Bobby rivalry on the original series and the John Ross/Christopher rivalry on the new series. You watched with fascination as J.R. rolled out his latest crooked scheme, but you also cheered when Bobby came along to self-righteously slap him down. When Christopher tries to do it to John Ross, he just comes across as a whiner. Maybe it's a testament to the on-screen acting skills and off-screen friendship between Hagman and Duffy that they were able to play off each other so well for 13 years. I think Josh Henderson's John Ross is growing into a worthy successor to J.R., but Jesse Metcalfe's Christopher leaves a lot to be desired.
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 08:54 PM   #77
billcosby
Commodore

Anakin Skywalker was a whiner and he became the badass Darth Vader.
In other words, JR. Ewing was likely a whiny brat when younger, too.

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
I think Josh Henderson's John Ross is growing into a worthy successor to J.R., but Jesse Metcalfe's Christopher leaves a lot to be desired.
Agreed on both counts. John Ross might be the reason to tune in after JR's dead. He really is fantastic. The scene where he slaps Pamela's ass and asks her butler to make breakfast was a riot.

Was Monday's JR's exit / last episode? One minute has was looking at silly internet videos, then he vanished. Interesting that he went from knowing nothing of tablet technology one minute then became an expert computer hacker the next. Obviously he had some kind of help... just wondering if he'll end up dead in a puff of smoke next Monday night.

I'm currently making my way through the original series as this new show airs... I'm taking my time with it. Right now I'm finishing up season 6. There was a moment where Ellie told Pamela Ewing that 25 years down the road instead of Bobby and JR fighting over Ewing Oil it would be Christopher and John Ross doing the same... kind of incredible foreshadowing as that episode aired in 1982!

I might stop at season 8... I've read/heard the quality declines sharply after Leonard Katzman leaves the show... and there's no way I'm investing time in the bullshit 'dream season!'

A little blurb about next week's show in the Washington Post, sadly we won't get anything next week and have to wait until the 11th of March:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...b584_blog.html

"In “Dallas'” March 11 episode — called "J.R.'s Masterpiece" — the Ewing clan reels upon hearing of J.R.'s death, and is even more shocked to learn the cause, TNT promises. Goody!"

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 08:58 PM   #78
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

billcosby wrote: View Post

I'm currently making my way through the original series as this new show airs... I'm taking my time with it. Right now I'm finishing up season 6. There was a moment where Ellie told Pamela Ewing that 25 years down the road instead of Bobby and JR fighting over Ewing Oil it would be Christopher and John Ross doing the same... kind of incredible foreshadowing as that episode aired in 1982!
That wasn't Pam, it was Sue Ellen. It was during the big brouhaha over who would get control of Ewing Oil during the year-long contest (as stipulated by the codicil in Jock's will) between Bobby and J.R.

The contest brought out the worst in Bobby, and Pam saw it for what it was, and was also (with a little help from a scheming Katherine and J.R.), what led to their first divorce.

Sue Ellen, meanwhile, stood right by J.R.'s side during the contest and even helped him. That was why Miss Ellie was giving Sue Ellen the talking to in that episode, and you're right - it's crazy to think that was 30 years ago.

Cynthia Cidre screened the entire original series before conceptualizing the new show, so I'm sure that scene was very powerfully on her mind when she sat down to write the pilot.

Last edited by doubleohfive; February 27 2013 at 09:43 PM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 09:01 PM   #79
billcosby
Commodore

^^ Wow, great recall doubleohfive. Are you rewatching or do you have an eidetic memory?

Old February 27 2013, 09:42 PM   #80
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Neither. I rewatched most of the series this summer myself.
Old February 28 2013, 02:57 AM   #81
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

billcosby wrote: View Post
Was Monday's JR's exit / last episode? One minute has was looking at silly internet videos, then he vanished. Interesting that he went from knowing nothing of tablet technology one minute then became an expert computer hacker the next. Obviously he had some kind of help... just wondering if he'll end up dead in a puff of smoke next Monday night.
Monday was the last time we'll see any new footage of Larry Hagman. The scene with him learning how to use his tablet was cut from one of the earlier episodes this season before Hagman died. (There's another scene in a previous episode where he's using the tablet and seems to know what he's doing with it, though you're right that someone else hooked him up with the virus.)

I might stop at season 8... I've read/heard the quality declines sharply after Leonard Katzman leaves the show... and there's no way I'm investing time in the bullshit 'dream season!'
The Dream Season is frustrating but ultimately worth watching because there's a lot of good storylines — Sue Ellen going through the agony of detox rather than simply willing herself not to drink (which she does in Season 10 after the reset); Ray and Donna adopting a deaf kid; and some of Victoria Principal's best work on the show. Even the utterly ridiculous cat-and-mouse game involving J.R. and Angelica Nero has its moments.

A little blurb about next week's show in the Washington Post, sadly we won't get anything next week and have to wait until the 11th of March:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...b584_blog.html

"In “Dallas'” March 11 episode — called "J.R.'s Masterpiece" — the Ewing clan reels upon hearing of J.R.'s death, and is even more shocked to learn the cause, TNT promises. Goody!"
There actually will be an episode next week, titled "The Furious and the Fast", but AFAIK we won't see any footage of Larry Hagman.
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
Old March 1 2013, 06:20 PM   #82
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

Josh Henderson (John Ross) is posting lots of private pictures of the cast with Larry Hagman on facebook lately.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 07:28 PM   #83
billcosby
Commodore

So tonight is a new but an entirely JR-less episode?

Old March 4 2013, 08:00 PM   #84
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I don't know, but I had a thought this morning on my drive to work and from it sprung forth a huge theory about the overall story and arc this season, based on some rumored and if true, MAJOR spoilers:

Last edited by doubleohfive; March 4 2013 at 08:54 PM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 08:21 PM   #85
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Also: Dallas Decoder has a great listing of their "Top 10" Confrontations between J.R. and Pam.
Old March 4 2013, 08:55 PM   #86
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Also, today on Deadline:

Victoria Principal quells rumors she will appear on Dallas.
Old March 4 2013, 10:44 PM   #87
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Also: Dallas Decoder has a great listing of their "Top 10" Confrontations between J.R. and Pam.
#2 is my favorite confrontation, if only because it also led to a pool fight that Ray and Clayton had to break up.
Old March 4 2013, 11:16 PM   #88
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Pingfah wrote: View Post
I remember as a child I was somehow under the impression that JR was a real person, and that somebody from ITV shot him, because Dallas was getting better ratings than Dynasty.
What's funny about that is here, it would have been the Disney Network doing the shooting...
Not quite. Disney doesn't own CBS, it owns ABC.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2013, 11:25 PM   #89
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

No, but Dynasty aired on ABC, which is the correlation I think that Admiral2 was trying to make, that someone from Dynasty/ABC/Disney would have shot J.R. because Dallas/CBS was doing better numbers than them. Though, when did Dynasty start? Was it even on the air when "A House Divided" aired?
Old March 5 2013, 02:39 AM   #90
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Dynasty began its run in January 1981, about two months after "Who Done It," where they revealed the culprit. It should have begun airing in the fall, but was delayed by the 1980 SAG strike.