Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old February 17 2013, 05:15 PM   #91
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: What do Star Trek fans think of Stargate?

When I watched Stargate sporadically and week to week from about S8 on, I thought there were very poor episodes and very few awesome episodes, that it was a Series you could usually count on get a reasonably good episode most weeks.

I did a marathon all the way through of SG1 and Atlantis a few months back and I found my opinion of few poor episodes hadn't changed, but, there were more awesome episodes than I remembered, and I really enjoyed the overall arcs of the Series, and I am definitely interested in taking that trip again some time in the future

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old February 17 2013, 06:41 PM   #92
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

BRAINS!!! BRAINS!!!
Old February 19 2013, 06:19 PM   #93
USS Firefly
Commander

I'm watching Stargate SG1 for the second time, together with my wife. I think it's a great show.
Old February 19 2013, 07:00 PM   #94
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It's fun but not thoughtful; prosaic and unimaginative. SG-1 is better than the movie in some respects. The characters in SG-1 are terribly entertaining.
Old February 22 2013, 10:23 PM   #95
bluepicard27
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Location: the village of glenfinnan on the shores of loch shiel

i enjoy it very much,because in my opinion i think its one the few sci fi shows that can mix individual episodes and arcs with great sucess
Old February 23 2013, 01:38 AM   #96
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

I've liked a few SG-1 episodes. There are some things about the show that I don't care for, such as O'Neill's attitude, but I can overlook that.
Old February 23 2013, 04:06 AM   #97
Blamo
Fleet Captain

It's an enjoyable franchise for the most part, I've got the first two shows on DVD.

It's not a great show though and just about reaches okay status.

Strangely I give this show more leeway then Voyager, which in my opinion is of the same low writing quality. Certainly when watching both they feel a part of a tired franchise that needs a rest. Difference being the Stargate franchise felt like that from the outset.

The main cast was nearly always bland and uninteresting. The only character I grew attached to was Rodney McKay, which is strange since I normally can't stand his type of character.
Old February 23 2013, 07:47 PM   #98
kirk55555
Commodore

I wasn't a fan of the movie, but I love the series. I'd say its #4 or 5 in my favorite Sci fi series list (it used to be #3, then Firefly beat it and it looks like B5 will either tie with it or beat it) but I really enjoy it. It had great stories with bad guys that were usually big threats. It also had amazing characters. O'Neil, Jackson, Carter, Teal'c, Mitchell and Vaala are all great characters, as were the actors who played them. Anderson/Shanks were much better than the movie versions of their characters, and Bowder and black were much better in this than in Farscape (and they played two of the characters in farscape that I liked). I'd say Jackson and Vaala are my favorite characters, but the whole main cast was great. I wasn't a huge fan of the guy who replaced Jackson for a little while, but he wasn't bad. I could put in Stargate SG-1 any time and still enjoy it a lot. I haven't seen much of Atlantis, but I mean to, eventually. I don't like Universe. What I've seen wasn't horrible, but it didn't feel like a Stargate show and the characters just annoyed me.
Old February 27 2013, 07:49 AM   #99
_C_
Commander

I liked the idea that it was set in seemingly modern times. I'm sure the budge affected how they could play it out, but I was entertained by it. I loved Teal'c, and I loved O'Neill being an ass all the time.
Old March 9 2013, 11:27 PM   #100
Pavonis
Commodore

Haven't read the entire thread, but here's my opinion:

I thought SG-1 was OK. I appreciated it for being set "now", and trying to deal with how we would interact with incredibly advanced technology. But, if it wanted to be realistic, then it needed to be realistic. Humans kidnapped as slave labor thousands of years ago - OK. Those same humans speaking modern English, not OK. Speaking something akin to their original language? - OK. Speaking the language of their masters - that'd be the ticket.

There were no "universal translators" to get around the language barrier in SG-1, so they added a character to deal with it, but then dropped that convention anyway. I disliked it for that reason alone. I won't mention the other problems I had with the show, since I'm not into bashing it. It was enjoyable, but I had hoped it would be a little more on the hard sci-fi side. Perhaps that was a bit unrealistic of me, but I did find it disappointing in that regard. Oh well.
Old March 9 2013, 11:42 PM   #101
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I have to ask the question of why whether or not someone is a fan of Star Trek would have any bearing whatsoever on their thoughts concerning Stargate, as the two franchises have very little in common.
Old March 10 2013, 02:15 AM   #102
gturner
Admiral

Well, it's complicated. In theory anybody on Star Trek could've pulled up some old Federation archives of Stargate episodes and watched them. But anyone on Stargate almost certainly had watched Star Trek growing up. This creates a temporal paradox because a Stargate character could've referenced a Star Trek episode where a Star Fleet officer mentioned how that particular Stargate episode ended, allowing the Stargate characters to alter their fate. But if they did that it would've changed the Star Trek episode, etc.

Mindbending isn't it?
Old March 10 2013, 12:08 PM   #103
AJ86
Captain

gturner wrote: View Post
But anyone on Stargate almost certainly had watched Star Trek growing up.
Eh? Why?
Old March 10 2013, 12:43 PM   #104
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

AJ86 wrote: View Post
gturner wrote: View Post
But anyone on Stargate almost certainly had watched Star Trek growing up.
Eh? Why?
O'Neill certainly was a trekki. He tried to name every starship he got his hands on the Enterprise!
Old March 10 2013, 04:11 PM   #105
Pavonis
Commodore

Trek was certainly indirectly referenced as a fictional work in Stargate, but Stargate, as a fictional work, didn't exist in Trek.