RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,113
Posts: 5,400,564
Members: 24,744
Currently online: 437
Newest member: Ohwowmelody

TrekToday headlines

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 27 2013, 12:08 AM   #16
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

She looks like a real world girl, not a pin up. They might pretty her up a bit more.
But I can buy her as a high school student. She looks a bit like an older Ginny Weasley...
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 01:30 AM   #17
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
She looks like a real world girl, not a pin up. They might pretty her up a bit more.
But I can buy her as a high school student. She looks a bit like an older Ginny Weasley...
MJ, however, is supposed to be gorgeous and way out of Peter's league. Emma Stone is much more of a MJ type than this girl is. She's cute and everything but she's not the super-model, drop-dead, gorgeous that MJ is supposed to be.

It's pretty terrible casting, IMHO.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 01:40 AM   #18
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
She looks like a real world girl, not a pin up. They might pretty her up a bit more.
But I can buy her as a high school student. She looks a bit like an older Ginny Weasley...
MJ, however, is supposed to be gorgeous and way out of Peter's league. Emma Stone is much more of a MJ type than this girl is. She's cute and everything but she's not the super-model, drop-dead, gorgeous that MJ is supposed to be.

It's pretty terrible casting, IMHO.
I'm afraid that I have to agree, despite the fact that Shaylene is cute as hell. IMO, both sets of Spider-movies have cast perfect Mary Janes... except they both casted them as Gwen Stacy.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 01:44 AM   #19
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
She looks like a real world girl, not a pin up. They might pretty her up a bit more.
But I can buy her as a high school student. She looks a bit like an older Ginny Weasley...
MJ, however, is supposed to be gorgeous and way out of Peter's league. Emma Stone is much more of a MJ type than this girl is. She's cute and everything but she's not the super-model, drop-dead, gorgeous that MJ is supposed to be.

It's pretty terrible casting, IMHO.
They didn't have the money to hire a pin up after spending it all on the visual effects.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 01:48 AM   #20
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
MJ, however, is supposed to be gorgeous and way out of Peter's league. Emma Stone is much more of a MJ type than this girl is. She's cute and everything but she's not the super-model, drop-dead, gorgeous that MJ is supposed to be.

It's pretty terrible casting, IMHO.

There's something wrong if your Gwen Stacey portrayal looks hotter than your Mary Jane.

She looks like plain Jane. MJ's suppose to be this perfect 10 with family issues
__________________
"Inception" is a layer cake.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 01:57 AM   #21
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Did an image search for her on Google.

She's hot enough for the part.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 02:08 AM   #22
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
MJ, however, is supposed to be gorgeous and way out of Peter's league. Emma Stone is much more of a MJ type than this girl is. She's cute and everything but she's not the super-model, drop-dead, gorgeous that MJ is supposed to be.

It's pretty terrible casting, IMHO.

There's something wrong if your Gwen Stacey portrayal looks hotter than your Mary Jane.

She looks like plain Jane. MJ's suppose to be this perfect 10 with family issues
Agreed. Again, not to malign the looks of this young woman (and who knows what stage makeup will do to her) but MJ is supposed to be the epitome of the Perfect 10. The only reason why she's even aware of the existence of Peter Parker is because they were neighbors and because Aunt May was trying to play matchmaker.

I don't think this girl quite fits the "look" of the Perfect-10 Mary Jane. Again, she's pretty and everything but just from the pictures I've seen of her alone she doesn't really seem to fit the "look" of MJ common in comics. MJ is supposed to be stop-your-heart gorgeous. Which is pretty much what happens when Peter finally meets her face-to-face.

I don't feel this girl quite has this quality. But, we'll see. Maybe it'll be pulled off. I wonder if, then, they'll do the "Death of Gwen Stacy" storyline with Green Goblin's Sophie's Choice Gambit. I'd hate to lose Emma Stone in this franchise but if they did that storyline I'll be highly impressed.

-- Looking at more pictures of her it does seem with enough hair/make-up work she can be the gorgeous Perfect-10 expected of MJ. It's possible these more candid stage shots just aren't serving her well.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 02:19 AM   #23
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Christ, people - the paparazzi have made an industry out of demonstrating that actors and models can look plain and even unattractive without their makeup, in the wrong outfit or outdoor light. How anyone can be so naive this late in the day as to look at the candids of this kid on the Spider-Man set and not get the fact that she's not in make-up or character is...puzzling, to be kind.

Has anyone made the obligatory "I'm officially worried about this movie, now" post regarding ASM2, yet?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 02:21 AM   #24
Kestrel
Vice Admiral
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Location: East Tennessee
Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

I look forward to their take on Mary Jane.

However I really don't want to lose Gwen. And I didn't even really like Gwen before this last movie, Mary Jane's always been Spidey's girl to me.
__________________
"If Romeo had just masturbated a couple of times a week he would have saved both those nice families a heap of trouble."
Kestrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 02:24 AM   #25
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

She looks more like Ultimate Mary Jane who's supposed to be a teenage beauty and more "down to Earth" than her 616 counterpart. I like the casting a lot and think she'll do great.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 02:28 AM   #26
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Where my heart is.
Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

I think Woodley is gorgeous, even in the pictures linked.

What am I missing?
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 03:11 AM   #27
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
She looks more like Ultimate Mary Jane who's supposed to be a teenage beauty and more "down to Earth" than her 616 counterpart. I like the casting a lot and think she'll do great.
Agreed. I never cared for MJ being some drop-dead gorgeous supermodel anyway. It makes Peter look shallow as hell (and don't give me that "oh, well he sees what a good person she is inside" bullshit either).

I'd much rather they get someone who's charming and adorable and the type of girl someone like Peter really WOULD fall for.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 03:12 AM   #28
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
MJ, however, is supposed to be gorgeous and way out of Peter's league. Emma Stone is much more of a MJ type than this girl is. She's cute and everything but she's not the super-model, drop-dead, gorgeous that MJ is supposed to be.

It's pretty terrible casting, IMHO.
Except that movie characters are frequently not the same as their comics counterparts, as we've seen time and time again. Heck, Raimi's MJ was pretty revisionist herself -- she was never a supermodel or a movie actress, but focused on theater, a direction that the comics' MJ never began to explore until two years after the first movie. And she never had the party-girl personality of the comics' MJ. Plus Peter knew her in high school.

So we can't assume this movie's version of MJ will be a copy of the comics' version any more than Dunst's MJ was. Maybe this is perfect casting for the version of MJ that this movie has created.

And if anyone's thinking that Gwen isn't supposed to be just as hot as MJ, you need to do some remedial reading. Gwen was introduced in her very first panel as "the ex-beauty queen of Standard High, as if you couldn't tell!" Although Ditko couldn't sell it the way Romita could. Note that that panel of Gwen dancing takes place while she's at a party with MJ, and depicts her quite successfully stealing the spotlight from MJ's dancing. There seems to be a perception these days that Gwen was supposed to be the plainer, more girl-next-door type, but the fact is that she was always meant to be every bit as stunning as MJ. Her nickname was even "Gorgeous Gwendy." She filled the role of the stunner who was out of Peter's league well before MJ became a featured character.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 04:39 AM   #29
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

davejames wrote: View Post
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
She looks more like Ultimate Mary Jane who's supposed to be a teenage beauty and more "down to Earth" than her 616 counterpart. I like the casting a lot and think she'll do great.
Agreed. I never cared for MJ being some drop-dead gorgeous supermodel anyway. It makes Peter look shallow as hell (and don't give me that "oh, well he sees what a good person she is inside" bullshit either).

I'd much rather they get someone who's charming and adorable and the type of girl someone like Peter really WOULD fall for.
Peter wasn't interested in her until he met her. It wasn't that he fell in love with her looks he fell in love with HER. Just because she happened to be gorgeous doesn't make him shallow.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 04:41 AM   #30
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: "Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
She looks like a real world girl, not a pin up. They might pretty her up a bit more.
But I can buy her as a high school student. She looks a bit like an older Ginny Weasley...
MJ, however, is supposed to be gorgeous and way out of Peter's league. Emma Stone is much more of a MJ type than this girl is. She's cute and everything but she's not the super-model, drop-dead, gorgeous that MJ is supposed to be.

It's pretty terrible casting, IMHO.
I'm afraid that I have to agree, despite the fact that Shaylene is cute as hell. IMO, both sets of Spider-movies have cast perfect Mary Janes... except they both casted them as Gwen Stacy.
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Did an image search for her on Google.

She's hot enough for the part.
Having made a similar search, I withdraw my previous objection and now tend to agree with My Name is Legion. I will withhold final judgement until I see actual shots from the movie.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; February 27 2013 at 05:51 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
amazing spider-man, spider-man

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.