RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,168
Posts: 5,344,832
Members: 24,601
Currently online: 575
Newest member: Capt_n_Admiral

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 25 2013, 05:54 PM   #16
JediKnightButler
Captain
 
JediKnightButler's Avatar
 
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

After FC, INS was a pretty big letdown but it still felt like a ST:TNG story. Nem, aside from a few parts, was a mess IMHO, particularly given the continuity issues (Romulans, Data/B4). After having so many stories over the years about Klingons and other species, I was pleased that they had finally decided to have a movie featuring Romulans.......except it didn't really. It primarily featured a human Picard clone (who wasn't really a clone-Patrick Stewart playing both roles would've been better IMHO) and a whole other race that we hadn't heard about as the primary adversaries. Next up we have ANOTHER Data clone that isn't Lore (what a wicked twist it would have been if it was) that we had never heard about before either. Had integrating the story and characters into it not been too difficult, Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges into a full-length movie would've been a better Romulan story IMHO. A post-Dominion War storyline involving the Romulans (one of the few remaining AQ powers following the DW as Sloan correctly predicted) was a good idea but executed terribly, unfortunately.

What's funny is that we get a Romulan adversary for the NEXT movie as well but, again, he is an outcast as well. The political intrigue stories on TNG/DS9 were what made the Romulans so interesting and would've helped make NEM better IMHO.
__________________
Do or do not. There is no try.
JediKnightButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 06:13 PM   #17
NightJim
Commander
 
NightJim's Avatar
 
Location: Scunthorpe, UK
View NightJim's Twitter Profile
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

Nemesis, but Insurrection but it in a vulnerable position.

There was the four year gap to try and build up anticipation, and if it was a good film it could have worked. Also, I remember the old joke of "it's a even number so it'll be good" going around, so fans hoped the series could be saved.

But then it came out. Introduced the weird sister race to the Romulans, which lost a lot of the impact of using them. Tom Hardy as a young Picard cloen could have been brilliant, and by the look of the test footage, it very well could have been. We know from his more recent work he can be amazing, but whether it was his serious drug problems or the director it went wrong. Costume designer didn't help either.

That said, Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner did want off. Spiner in particular was getting very aware that he couldn't be an un-ageing android any more. That's why Data died, though why they then introduced B4 never made any sense to me. I always assumed it was a Get Out of Jail Free Card that some execs insisted upon.
NightJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 08:09 PM   #18
dub
Captain
 
dub's Avatar
 
Location: Location? What is this?
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

JediKnightButler wrote: View Post
It primarily featured a human Picard clone (who wasn't really a clone-Patrick Stewart playing both roles would've been better IMHO)
Yes! I don't understand why they didn't just do this. Perhaps the studio, writers or somebody believes for movies there always needs to be a guest star villain? Perhaps to draw in a wider audience? Who knows. That seems to be the pattern for the most part. Anyway, I also think the film would have been much improved with Stewart as the clone.

JediKnightButler wrote: View Post
ANOTHER Data clone that isn't Lore (what a wicked twist it would have been if it was)
This too!
dub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 05:49 PM   #19
starburst
Fleet Captain
 
starburst's Avatar
 
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

From what I remember locally (in the UK) when Nemesis came around there was very little interest in a Star Trek movie, I went to see it a couple of days after it came out and there were very few people there (3 and then myself and my friend). Compare this to a Star Wars movie or most other films and you see that no one cared.

If you want to blame one of the films you have to blame the film before it, people went to see it and didnt enjoy it, so why go and see a sequel?

The Star Trek franchise had run its course and become stale as well as having a massive stigma attached to it...I enjoyed the last 2 movies, they werent amazing Trek but good Trek, the general audience plus many other Star Trek fans didnt agree and from what I saw didnt bother to even see Nemesis at its release.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 09:24 PM   #20
Gaith
Rear Admiral
 
Gaith's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

@ dub: It shoulda been Mirror Picard!
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 10:30 PM   #21
dub
Captain
 
dub's Avatar
 
Location: Location? What is this?
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

Gaith wrote: View Post
@ dub: It shoulda been Mirror Picard!
...and perhaps Mirror Data too instead of B4!
dub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 10:57 PM   #22
Lance
Fleet Captain
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

starburst wrote: View Post
From what I remember locally (in the UK) when Nemesis came around there was very little interest in a Star Trek movie, I went to see it a couple of days after it came out and there were very few people there (3 and then myself and my friend). Compare this to a Star Wars movie or most other films and you see that no one cared.

If you want to blame one of the films you have to blame the film before it, people went to see it and didnt enjoy it, so why go and see a sequel?
I agree that a previous effort could certainly hold some sway over whether people are interested in the current one. When Doctor Who was un-cancelled after it's unpopular 22nd season in 1985, ratings for Season 23 the following year were less than half of their previous level -- I don't blame Season 23 for that, I blame Season 22. There is also the factor of Enterprise being perceived as something of a failure on television at the time, which can't have impacted positively on "Nemesis" at all.

It isn't a hard-and-fast rule, though. "The Final Frontier" was a failure at the box-office despite "The Voyage Home" being a smash hit. I think "Nemesis" faced a similar challenge. "The Final Frontier" was released at the same time we saw so many blockbuster movies (Batman, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Ghostbusters II) that it just couldn't compete, not actually being one of those blockbusters itself. IMO, "Nemesis" faced similar opposition from the likes of LOTR: The Two Towers and the (then) latest Star Wars prequel. Alongside an apparent general apathy with Star Trek among the public at the time, it didn't have a hope in hell of making an impact.

Star Trek 2009 had the benefit of being released at a time sufficiently distanced from the bad karma associated with the TNG movies, and at a time when it could also reposition itself as a contender against blockbusters like those listed above. As much as the public had a fondness for the series, I don't think any of the Trek movies before 2009 were really in that kind of position. They were always little movies that punched above their weight (the TNG movies possibly even more so).
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 11:19 PM   #23
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

Lance wrote: View Post
starburst wrote: View Post
From what I remember locally (in the UK) when Nemesis came around there was very little interest in a Star Trek movie, I went to see it a couple of days after it came out and there were very few people there (3 and then myself and my friend). Compare this to a Star Wars movie or most other films and you see that no one cared.

If you want to blame one of the films you have to blame the film before it, people went to see it and didnt enjoy it, so why go and see a sequel?
I agree that a previous effort could certainly hold some sway over whether people are interested in the current one. When Doctor Who was un-cancelled after it's unpopular 22nd season in 1985, ratings for Season 23 the following year were less than half of their previous level -- I don't blame Season 23 for that, I blame Season 22. There is also the factor of Enterprise being perceived as something of a failure on television at the time, which can't have impacted positively on "Nemesis" at all.

It isn't a hard-and-fast rule, though. "The Final Frontier" was a failure at the box-office despite "The Voyage Home" being a smash hit. I think "Nemesis" faced a similar challenge. "The Final Frontier" was released at the same time we saw so many blockbuster movies (Batman, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Ghostbusters II) that it just couldn't compete, not actually being one of those blockbusters itself. IMO, "Nemesis" faced similar opposition from the likes of LOTR: The Two Towers and the (then) latest Star Wars prequel. Alongside an apparent general apathy with Star Trek among the public at the time, it didn't have a hope in hell of making an impact.

Star Trek 2009 had the benefit of being released at a time sufficiently distanced from the bad karma associated with the TNG movies, and at a time when it could also reposition itself as a contender against blockbusters like those listed above. As much as the public had a fondness for the series, I don't think any of the Trek movies before 2009 were really in that kind of position. They were always little movies that punched above their weight (the TNG movies possibly even more so).
If a movie is good, people go and see it. If it's shit, they stay home. It's really that simple.

Ultimately, the reason ST09 did as well as it did is because it is the best film of the bunch. There, I said it.
__________________
Is this where we come in?
CorporalClegg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 11:39 PM   #24
Lance
Fleet Captain
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

ST09 did well because we got to see Young Uhura without her clothes on. The Final Frontier didn't do well... because we got to see Old Uhura without her clothes on.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 11:53 PM   #25
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

Lance wrote: View Post
ST09 did well because we got to see Young Uhura without her clothes on. The Final Frontier didn't do well... because we got to see Old Uhura without her clothes on.


But the 2009 film did well because for the first time in a long time, it made Star Trek fun.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 12:16 AM   #26
StarCruiser
Commander
 
Location: Houston, we have a problem...
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Both.
^ This!

Insurrection was a weak story and a weak film.

Nemesis was a very bad story and un-entertaining - I almost walked out of the theater.

I didn't even think of walking out of the theater for Final Frontier, and it wasn't that good either...
__________________
"I've always said you can get more with a kind word and a two-by-four than you can with just a kind word." - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5
StarCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 01:18 AM   #27
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral
 
ChristopherPike's Avatar
 
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

I'm afraid a few issues aside, I liked Nemesis enough to go see it more than once.

Well, there's only one... Yes, I remember few members in the audience on those occasions too.

Insurrection was the film I thought wasn't a strong enough follow up to First Contact. Any harder edge to it got sugar coated. Nemesis had that mid-to-late 90s darkness going on for the film to have been reasonably popular, had it arrived sooner. By 2002 we had more than enough darkness to be going on with, in real life.

They're the right films, in the wrong order.
__________________
STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE Season 5 on Netflix Facebook page
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 01:38 AM   #28
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

Insurrection obviously hurt the movie series. It followed the previous film, a hit, by increasing the budget and decreasing the box office. This led Paramount to budget Nemesis at ten million less than Insurrection (the first time since The Wrath of Khan that an installment in the franchise cost less than its predecessor).

Still, Nemesis was made, so Insurrection obviously didn't kill the TNG movie series. Nemesis did that. Clearly, they wanted to make another movie -- the tagline, after all, was "A Generation's Final Journey Begins" -- but neither the box office nor the reviews warranted another movie. And that was that.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 02:29 AM   #29
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

StarCruiser wrote: View Post
Insurrection was a weak story and a weak film.
Partially correct, Insurrection possessed a very interesting story and had some nice ethical questions for our heroes. I liked the way that (probably unintentionally) it wasn't clear who the "good guys" were, who you were supposed to be rooting for.

Execution of this story, transferring it onto the screen, was poorly done.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 03:24 AM   #30
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain
 
TREK_GOD_1's Avatar
 
Location: Escaped from Delta Vega
Re: What sunk the TNG movie franchise: Insurrection or Nemesis?

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Now, from the people who made this crap - the sequel to that other crap!
You are not kidding!
__________________
"...to be like God, you have the power to make the world anything you want it to be."
TREK_GOD_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
insurrection, nemesis

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.