New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 26 2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow
Kirk And The Prime Directive In STID ???

Is anyone else thinking that kirk properly fails the prime directive on the plant niruba at the start of the film ??? IMO I think he does make a mess of the mission jeopardising his ship crew and 1st officer aka Spock and damaging or destroying first contact with this native Species of the planet.

We know Spock was and is trying to stop a volcano from blowing up, I think that kirk fails this mission and is told to report to earth for punishment and that's when we see the attack on earth and BC character killing possibly pike ?? Your thoughts people ??
Old February 26 2013, 10:01 PM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Kirk And The Prime Directive In STID ???

I suspect the Nibiru people will see the Enterprise fly over the volcano and rescue Spock - but I don't think it's the "big mistake" Kirk makes. Other than better effects it's not much different to the PD-smashing Kirk did in The Original Series without getting in any trouble.
Old February 26 2013, 10:42 PM   #3
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

King Daniel wrote: View Post
I suspect the Nibiru people will see the Enterprise fly over the volcano and rescue Spock - but I don't think it's the "big mistake" Kirk makes. Other than better effects it's not much different to the PD-smashing Kirk did in The Original Series without getting in any trouble.
To true KD I watched Return Of The Archons last night and Spock told kirk several times in that episode about breaking the PD ???? I wonder how many times kirk broke the PD in TOS surly he would have been Reprimanded by starfleet after a couple of times I'm sure kirk had accountabilities for his ship and crews actions during PD situations don't u think ??
Old February 26 2013, 10:43 PM   #4
Franklin
Rear Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Agreed. I think the purpose of the scene is to drop us into a "typical" mission to show us that Kirk has had his share of adventures and risk over the last year. And, he's still a little raw around the edges.

The debate over whether or not to save Spock, and what Spock's ultimate reaction to Kirk's "illogical" decision to save him at the risk of the ship and violating the PD could provide a thematic element for the movie, though.

But I can't imagine him being punished for not just "flying by" a planet with intelligent life and not trying to do something to help behind the scenes.

If the Vulcans knew of an asteroid that would hit this planet and destroy mankind, and they could prevent it, would you want them to let it happen anyway just because we're a pre-warp society?
Old February 26 2013, 10:50 PM   #5
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
To true KD I watched Return Of The Archons last night and Spock told kirk several times in that episode about breaking the PD ???? I wonder how many times kirk broke the PD in TOS surly he would have been Reprimanded by starfleet after a couple of times I'm sure kirk had accountabilities for his ship and crews actions during PD situations don't u think ??
According to Star Trek: Voyager, there are forty-seven subsections of the Prime Directive. Likely one of those subsections deals with cultures that may seem primitive on the surface but are being controlled by A.I.'s that have incredible powers at their disposal and can be considered hazards to orbital vehicles. Another likely deals with what happens when you come into a situation where another Federation ship has already interfered.

The Prime Directive was never as cut-and-dry as some like to make it seem.
Old February 27 2013, 01:01 AM   #6
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander

Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
Is anyone else thinking that kirk properly fails the prime directive on the plant niruba at the start of the film ??? IMO I think he does make a mess of the mission jeopardising his ship crew and 1st officer aka Spock and damaging or destroying first contact with this native Species of the planet.

We know Spock was and is trying to stop a volcano from blowing up, I think that kirk fails this mission and is told to report to earth for punishment and that's when we see the attack on earth and BC character killing possibly pike ?? Your thoughts people ??
could be that the shots we see of the Enterprise falling are after its been hovering over the volcano to rescue Spock. they think they've succeeded but the damage forces the ship to crash land on Niruba and Starfleet are put in a position of sending in a substantial rescue mission for the Enterprise crew...completely screwing the Prime Directive
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote