Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 26 2013, 04:33 PM   #1
Dal Rassak
Lieutenant Commander

no more TV in the future? WTF?!

I can't see TV dying out even if complete immersion virtual realities as in holosuites could ever be invented.

Reason one: as a species we've always loved telling and being told stories. When you're taking part in one, fun as it is, you can't actually really concentrate on the story itself, you're missing out on a lot of detail because you're so taken up with your own participation. Holosuites are just a step up from video games. I enjoy the odd video game, but it doesn't beat losing myself in a good book or a great bit of TV.

Reason two: people said nobody'd listen to radio anymore when TV was invented and we still have radios.

Reason three: abolishing TV would kill off two great arts in one go, the art of the cameraman - it's moving photography after all (and they still have holocams!), and that of the actor, since holo characters are simply programmed simulations. I don't like the idea of a future minus that much potential for cultural expression.

Plus after a hard day on duty, I wouldn't want to have to exert myself with a holoprogram (unless we're talking one of Quark's special recommendations maybe) - I'd just want a nice drink and be allowed to passively enjoy an entertaining programme. Like Star Trek...
Old February 26 2013, 04:49 PM   #2
Pavonis
Commodore

Re: no more TV in the future? WTF?!

Dal Rassak wrote: View Post
I can't see TV dying out even if complete immersion virtual realities as in holosuites could ever be invented.
So you actually don't see non-interactive entertainment formats dying out. Even in Trek, characters still read books.

Reason two: people said nobody'd listen to radio anymore when TV was invented and we still have radios.
Have them, yes, but when was the last time you sat down just to listen to the radio? The only radios I have are for emergencies, not entertainment. Even in the car, I use my phone to play my iTunes library.

Reason three: abolishing TV would kill off two great arts in one go, the art of the cameraman - it's moving photography after all (and they still have holocams!), and that of the actor, since holo characters are simply programmed simulations. I don't like the idea of a future minus that much potential for cultural expression.
Yes, it was sad when the buggy whip artists lost their livelihood, too, but what are you going to do? Force the purchase of horse drawn carriages to keep the "artists" from starving?

Plus after a hard day on duty, I wouldn't want to have to exert myself with a holoprogram (unless we're talking one of Quark's special recommendations maybe) - I'd just want a nice drink and be allowed to passively enjoy an entertaining programme. Like Star Trek...
Again. Books.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 04:54 PM   #3
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

If they turned off broadcast TV right now. I doubt I'd notice. I consume my television by means of DVD, Blu-ray, Internet catch-up services, and time shifted recordings. The only time I sit down to broadcast television at the behest of the broadcaster these days is for twenty-four hour news services, live events such as sports, or the rare watercooler talking point show. I watch at the most three hours of such a week. Right now it's one hour a week, season 2 of Dallas.

Television as I knew it when I was a kid is already dead. Last week I was on a train trip to the city, and most everyone was watching TV on their iPads.

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Anwar
Vice Admiral

When they said that Television no longer existed as a form of entertainment, they meant television by 1987's standards no longer existed.

And given how we now have entertainment on demand, recordings, web series, etc...

...Trek was right, again!
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 06:57 PM   #5
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

If holosuites existed, I could see that wiping out "TV" - even if you don't want to interact with a story, you can set the holosuite to passive mode. So yeah they have "TV," they just don't call it that. When everything comes from the internet and is viewed on computers or tablets or smartphones, will we still call it TV?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 10:33 PM   #6
Lance
Fleet Captain

It always bothered me that Captain Pike has got a TV smack bang in the middle of his quarters in "The Cage". Is it just an antique? Something that he's collected in his travels as a decorative piece but effectively non-functional? Or does it actually get transmissions from... somewhere? Is the good Captain a rabid, devoted viewer of Days Of Our Lives (or whatever the 23rd century equivalent is)?
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 10:46 PM   #7
LogicDeLuxe
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Even they mentioned that it died out in some episodes, there are also occasion where television is evident in Star Trek. There is at least one federation news channel. And the Cardassians broadcast trials on their network. Of course, Pike may have a TV set too, just like Tom Paris does. It might be meant for shows on video. Maybe they share this hobby on vintage media. Who knows? We do not know very much of Pike, actually.
LogicDeLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 10:59 PM   #8
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Commercials officially killed off television in 2047 when people discovered one day they were watching more commercials than actual programming.

It was called The Big Switch Off.
Old February 26 2013, 11:53 PM   #9
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Dal Rassak wrote: View Post
In TOS they had the viewscreen for communication purposes.

In the movies of other Trek series they would say "audio only" when no 2-D picture available.

As for actual Trek on TV series see this thread in Future of Trek forum.

Futureproofing (for viewing) the next Trek TV series
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 12:14 AM   #10
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

I always took that "no more television" line in a specific sense. Television in this case referring to network programming broadcast over the air.

There's probably video entertainment programming in the future, but it's not produced by network corporations and it's not commercial programming and it's not broadcast over the air. So far removed from traditional production and distribution that it's no longer referred to as "television".

That's all. A simple idea, I thought.

I never thought the "No television" line ever meant people aren't watching video entertainment on screens anymore.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 12:25 AM   #11
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
If holosuites existed, I could see that wiping out "TV"
But how many people are going to have a holosuite in their homes?

I think Data meant something like broadcast television was gone.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 02:08 AM   #12
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Don't be silly, why would we watch TV when we're all busy studying science and mathematics? If we don't study science and mathematics, we can no longer write piano concertos and invent new and exciting uses for nadions!
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 03:02 AM   #13
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post

I think Data meant something like broadcast television was gone.

Riker had a small holoprojection device in his quarters. Can't remember the episode. It was a passive display. Picard had a holoprojector built into his Ready-Room desktop. We've seen it project an image in at least one episode. Data also used a holoprojector in his briefing about the T'Kon empire.

So one can sit and watch holograms without being fully immersed in the holodeck or holosuite. These smaller projectors are probably more commonplace than a holodeck or holosuite.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 03:28 AM   #14
Lance
Fleet Captain

If Wesley Crusher had've had a TV, he wouldn't have to keep himself amused by inventing devices that let him imitate Captain Picard's voice, and then using it to take over the ship.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 04:04 AM   #15
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Maybe they do have them, like a pod that is networked to a "big" holosuite where everyone else is playing from, also from home. Or forget anything centralized, it's a network. All you need is space to sit down, stand up, lie down, turn around, maybe jump...everything around you is simulated, and when you jump off a cliff, it's the cliff that moves.

You could have the experience of walking across a vast expanse while basically just on a treadmill. That big holosuite in TNG never made any sense, why does it need to be much bigger than a human body?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote