Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 26 2013, 03:29 PM   #1
Dal Rassak
Lieutenant Commander

who the fff... put Troi in that outfit??

What is a councillor doing wearing a lilac bodysuitall the time? I mean she's meant to be a Starfleet officer, isn't she, and I suppose councillor falls under medical officer,so why doesn't she wear the uniform?
It's only near the end of season 6, after the brief tenure on the Enterprise of Captain Jellico, who insisted she dress more formally, that she did wear the uniform and it suited her much better. But for practically the entire run of the series (barring the odd attractive evening gown) she goes round in this ridiculous number that you might wear doing yoga down the gym. Plus the front was cut so low you'd be in danger of dropping your eyes down her cleavage. How's any normal male meant to take psychological advice from anyone dressed like that? How would you ever concentrate?? What I'm saying is it seems unprofessional.
Old February 26 2013, 03:35 PM   #2
yousirname
Commander

Re: who the fff... put Troi in that outfit??

My money's on Maurice Hurley. Though it persisted well after he left, so I dunno. It is more than a little silly, though.
yousirname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

A female Trek character in clothing that high lights her sexuality? Why has no one ever noticed this before?????
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Timo
Admiral

why doesn't she wear the uniform?
For all we know, she does. That jumpsuit never changed much, so perhaps it was the official Counselor's uniform?

We have seen weirder. Crusher always wore a nonstandard jacket, Picard started wearing one later on as well, and all sorts of background and eventually also foreground characters wore the odd mustard jumpsuits.

What I'm saying is it seems unprofessional.
In comparison with the tights the men wear? I don't quite see it.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 06:36 PM   #5
Keturah
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I remember someone asking Marina Sirtis about this phenomena at a convention. Rather than explaining who or why she just smiled and said. "No let's think about this. Gentleman, which outfit would you like to see?" And that was that.
Keturah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 06:46 PM   #6
Pavonis
Commodore

Dal Rassak wrote: View Post
What is a councillor doing wearing a lilac bodysuitall the time? I mean she's meant to be a Starfleet officer, isn't she, and I suppose councillor falls under medical officer,so why doesn't she wear the uniform?
It's only near the end of season 6, after the brief tenure on the Enterprise of Captain Jellico, who insisted she dress more formally, that she did wear the uniform and it suited her much better. But for practically the entire run of the series (barring the odd attractive evening gown) she goes round in this ridiculous number that you might wear doing yoga down the gym. Plus the front was cut so low you'd be in danger of dropping your eyes down her cleavage. How's any normal male meant to take psychological advice from anyone dressed like that? How would you ever concentrate?? What I'm saying is it seems unprofessional.
You're seeing it from a 20th century perspective; it was meant to imply a much different society in the 24th century. Cleavage? Why not? What are they - Puritan prudes? Body-hugging uniforms - why not? Is she supposed to pretend she doesn't have a body? Or poor men, they have uncontrollable urges. Must suppress them! Make the women dress in burlap sacks so the men can concentrate.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Rhaven
Captain

I don't have the ability to link stuff from work but remember the dress uniforms for TNG? They looked like dresses and the leggings just added to the silliness of that getup
Old February 26 2013, 07:02 PM   #8
Lance
Fleet Captain

I've heard it said that the costume actually makes professional sense. Putting Deanna in an outfit where her rank isn't thrust in the face of her patients. If they were contstantly being reminded (by the uniform and rank pips) that they're being asked to 'fess to a woman who is their Commander as well as their counsellor, a junior officer might be less willing to go to her with their troubles.

Personally, there's a part of me that kinda wishes they hadn't given her officer rank and put her in a uniform in the pilot episode in the first place. That was the mistake, if anything. The character might have been better served if the implication was of her being essentially an outside civilian in a high position. Of course, it would be hard to accentuate her importance in the ship's hierarchy without showing her rank...
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Lance wrote: View Post
there's a part of me that kinda wishes they hadn't given her officer rank and put her in a uniform in the pilot episode in the first place. That was the mistake
Troi in a miniskirt is NEVER a mistake.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 07:08 PM   #10
Pavonis
Commodore

Of course, it would be hard to accentuate her importance in the ship's hierarchy without showing her rank...
But that's what they did for five seasons. Hell, when "Disaster" originally aired, I had forgotten Troi had a rank at all. I had completely forgotten she had been depicted as a Starfleet officer in the pilot, and had taken to thinking of her as a civilian psychiatrist/psychologist serving Starfleet, the way Guinan is a civilian serving drinks as a bartender.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 07:22 PM   #11
Lance
Fleet Captain

Shazam! wrote: View Post
there's a part of me that kinda wishes they hadn't given her officer rank and put her in a uniform in the pilot episode in the first place. That was the mistake
Troi in a miniskirt is NEVER a mistake.

Pavonis wrote: View Post
Of course, it would be hard to accentuate her importance in the ship's hierarchy without showing her rank...
But that's what they did for five seasons. Hell, when "Disaster" originally aired, I had forgotten Troi had a rank at all. I had completely forgotten she had been depicted as a Starfleet officer in the pilot, and had taken to thinking of her as a civilian psychiatrist/psychologist serving Starfleet, the way Guinan is a civilian serving drinks as a bartender.
Oh, I feel exactly the same way. For the longest time I actually used to think that it had been a conscious decision made by the production team after the pilot episode, to retcon her as a civilian. So it seemed weird to me too when "Disaster" reminded us of her technical rank of lieutenant commander, and then seasons six, seven and the movies seen her increasingly wearing uniform again instead of the leotards.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 12:31 AM   #12
Orac
Admiral

Gene Roddenberry?

ENTER | TOS Avatar Contest #55: Assignment Earth
Orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 12:54 AM   #13
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Orac wrote: View Post
Gene Roddenberry?
We have a winner!
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 01:23 AM   #14
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Pavonis wrote: View Post
You're seeing it from a 20th century perspective; it was meant to imply a much different society in the 24th century.
Wrong, it was meant to show Marina Sirtis cleavage to appeal to the male audience, it wasn't meant to imply anything anout the 24th century.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2013, 01:31 AM   #15
Dream
Admiral

Roddenberry originally wanted to Deanna to have three breasts, and he had to be convinced that it was a stupid idea. We dodged a bullet!