A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 24 2013, 10:15 PM   #31
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Si I finally saw Moulin Rouge!

Ordinarily I would never go for filmmaking as garish as this, but I just like Shakespeare. And as I said, I love it when they put the Bard in a modern setting (re: R&J in modern day California, Hamlet in New York City, etc.).

That being said, I still wonder what exactly the hell happened to the Ian McKellen / Patrick Stewart project: The Merchant of Vegas...
Old February 24 2013, 10:40 PM   #32
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I like Shakespeare in modern settings. Well, I think he probably works best in 19th century settings, like Kenneth Branagh's movies. But I'll still take modern over Elizabethan. I liked that recent Ralph Fiennes version of Corioulainus. I haven't seen the Ian McKellen Richard III since it first came out. I remember this really good stage production I saw of Two Gentlemen of Verona that was set in early silent-era Hollywood. Plus, of course, Twelfth Night of the Living Dead!

But Romeo + Juliet is a bit too garish for me, particularly in the part where Romeo kills Tybalt.

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
A really funny and pretty dead on review by the Nostalgia Critic in regards to Moulin Rouge.
"Boa fight!"
Old February 25 2013, 12:23 AM   #33
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

It's because of Moulin Rouge (and Romeo + Juliet somewhat) that I'm at all interested in the upcoming Gatsby film. A lavish overblown spectacle without much meaning is exactly right for it.
Old February 25 2013, 02:47 AM   #34
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Yep, I also have that one as well. I love the bit where Richard's jeep is stuck in the mud and that's the reason for his "My kingdom for a horse" line.

Now I'm waiting for Titus to come to Blu-Ray. That one freely mixes anachronisms from a dozen different time periods!
I think Titus was out on Blu-Ray, I own Titus but can't remember if its on DVD or Blu-Ray. However I'm pretty sure that its Blu-Ray. All my movies are packed for moving, so I can't check. Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet is my favorite Shakespeare movie set in a modern time but Titus has a special place in my heart. I think its Julie Taymor's design sense, I love Anthony Hopkins in it.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 06:28 PM   #35
Gaith
Rear Admiral

From what I dimly remember of my only attempt to watch the movie, I liked pretty much everything except the 1.5 shots/2 seconds pace, which was so frenetic the whole thing just gave me a headache. I might like if I watched it again, but I can't help suspecting the same footage could have yielded a much better movie with a more traditional editor.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 06:45 PM   #36
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

That is really only the beginning and a few transitions. Christian is experiencing this colorful, busy world for the first time, and being pushed through it by his new 'friends' without really knowing what is going on and it is overwhelming to him and (through the appropriate editing) also to us. Once he gets to the elephant, the only really frenetic sequence is their impromptu song for the count, which is also quite thematically suitable. The style of editing carries through in little bits here and there, but it becomes overall much more refined and sort of dreamlike before amping back up (to a faster pace, but not nearly as disorienting) for the climax.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 07:07 PM   #37
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Yeah, the beginning of the movie definitely shouldn't be used to extrapolate what will follow as far as editorial and stylistic choices
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 08:05 PM   #38
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

That is really only the beginning and a few transitions.
Respectfully, I don't agree. I was really trying to be as level-headed as I culd be when I watched this movie. I might not be as familiar with musicals, though there are some that I like, I was trying to examine the shots, the story, the compositions, the tension, the acting, etc.. all of those aspects that I can evaluate on every film I watch.

Then I remembered Siskel and Ebert's review of Batman and Robin, and Siskel complained not about the thin story or the return to campiness in that film.. he didn't even complain about the direction the franchise was going. He simply said that the movie was over-produced that it felt so bloated. That there was nothing left of the film but its own extravagant ego about itself. I felt that his words applied to this film.
Old February 25 2013, 08:30 PM   #39
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I disagree on both counts and find your comparison simply nonsensical. Moulin Rouge is an emotional rollercoaster using musical numbers, creative editing and an overall "staged" production design to emphasize Christian's journey while B&R is basically just a toy commercial and a parody of Tim Burton's Batman combined with some 60s nostalgia and neon. It too is often "stagey" due to the outlandish sets and action sequences but comes off as cartoonish rather than theatrical. "Over-produced" can mean a great many things and while you could make an argument for applying it to both films, they themselves have almost nothing in common except for being visually "extravagant".
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 08:44 PM   #40
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Well, like I implied, the conventions of the musical genre play by a few different rules than other genres, but I really tried to appreciate at least that aspect of the film... his journey.. but instead of being pulled in by the elaborate production, I felt very distanced. If the filmmakers wanted me to connect to a character, let us connect, you don't need to throw all of these shots and camera angles at us, with rapid-fire editing. Sure, Batman and Robin was a toy commercial, and it was made for kids, but the very same aspects about it that keep adult's at arm's length from that film did the same for me during Moulin Rouge.
Old February 25 2013, 09:08 PM   #41
Relayer1
Commodore

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
That is really only the beginning and a few transitions.
Respectfully, I don't agree. I was really trying to be as level-headed as I culd be when I watched this movie. I might not be as familiar with musicals, though there are some that I like, I was trying to examine the shots, the story, the compositions, the tension, the acting, etc.. all of those aspects that I can evaluate on every film I watch.

Then I remembered Siskel and Ebert's review of Batman and Robin, and Siskel complained not about the thin story or the return to campiness in that film.. he didn't even complain about the direction the franchise was going. He simply said that the movie was over-produced that it felt so bloated. That there was nothing left of the film but its own extravagant ego about itself. I felt that his words applied to this film.
In the UK we call that 'being up itself'. It was the most 'up itself' movie I've ever watched part of before switching off in disgust.

I had an enema/colonoscopy procedure that I enjoyed more than Moulin Rouge (or Romeo & Juliet) - at least I kept watching the screen right through to the end !

I just don't think these films are for me...
Old February 25 2013, 09:34 PM   #42
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I'm gonna lightly paraphrase Siskel's B&R review: "The film is so over-produiced.. every scene is done in such a way that the film does all of the thinking and emoting for us. Leads to an extravagant, often tasteless bore. Overstuffed. Well-produced but over-produced."
Old February 25 2013, 10:12 PM   #43
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
I think Titus was out on Blu-Ray, I own Titus but can't remember if its on DVD or Blu-Ray.
It must be a DVD since that movie isn't out on Blu-Ray yet.
Old February 26 2013, 01:55 AM   #44
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
I think Titus was out on Blu-Ray, I own Titus but can't remember if its on DVD or Blu-Ray.
It must be a DVD since that movie isn't out on Blu-Ray yet.
I'll let you know in three week when I move and unpack, you're probably right.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 02:50 AM   #45
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

^ I only know this because I searched on Amazon and Best Buy and also Googled it. I didn't mean to question your judgment or anything like that.