RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,957
Posts: 5,391,220
Members: 24,722
Currently online: 532
Newest member: Jadakiss

TrekToday headlines

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Free Star Trek Trexels Game
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 21 2013, 11:45 PM   #271
Dac
Commodore
 
Dac's Avatar
 
Location: The Essex wastes...
View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

So, this is something - SyFy UK are advertising a premiere for TNG Season 3 on their HD channel on the 4TH OF MARCH. You heard that, the 4th of MARCH. I checked my Virgin Tivo box and, well, it lists Evolution, Who Watches the Watchers, Ensigns of Command etc....all in the right order. Considering they started airing Season 2 the week it came out over here, it's still surprising but not beyond the realm that they'd start airing TNG Season 3 in HD nearly a full 2 months before it's released on Blu Ray.

ALSO...big, BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG NEWS.

They also advertised STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE with it. I'm not 100% they were talking about HD versions but....well, my Dad who told me about it swore they did, and considering he was right about Season 3....

Hmmm. I guess I'll have to keep a look out for the advert to make sure....

EDIT: I found DS9 in the schedules, its there, on the HD channel. I highly highly highly doubt it's a proper remaster however. TNG puzzles me though - why would they advertise Season 3 after heavily pushing the fact they have the first 2 seasons in HD?

Last edited by Dac; February 21 2013 at 11:58 PM.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 01:07 AM   #272
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Well I'd like to apologise in advance to my family for filling my Sky+ box up with TNG season 3 HD
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 02:56 AM   #273
Dick_Valentine
Commander
 
Location: Birmingham, UK (Not Alabama)
View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

I don't think they are in HD and Sci-Fi are stuck between in a rock and a hard place.

Perhaps the TNG HD showings have rated well for them so far but they realise they need to get on with series 3 to ensure the ratings don't dwindle, but waiting until the actual release won't be good for that so they're just going to show upscaled un-remastered TNG until quietly replacing them for the proper HD versions in June or so...

Same with DS9.

But yay, with TNG on Sci-fi, Voyager and Star Trek TOS on CBS action and Enterprise on Pick TV, DS9 was the only trek not currently shown on UK TV.
Which sucks and gives more credence to that "oooh it's hard to show" BS.
I haven't encountered ONE UK station that shows Trek out of order...it all goes from series 1 ep 1 until series 7 finale....
__________________
I don't care what anyone thinks, when I hit the iceberg the iceberg sinks!
Dick_Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 02:55 PM   #274
LogicDeLuxe
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

BeatleJWOL wrote: View Post
jimbotron wrote: View Post
Imagine if George Lucas put that much effort into the various Star Wars DVD and Blu-ray sets.
Then the lightsabers might have been colored properly but all the other changes would have been even more perfectly realized...and equally unwanted.
All new effects beyond remastering work would be optional, like in TOS. And of course, they would hire Adywan, so it can't go wrong to begin with.
LogicDeLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 07:35 PM   #275
Jeyl
Commodore
 
Jeyl's Avatar
 
Location: Asheville, NC
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

So glad to hear the commentary track for Yesterday's Enterprise was put back on the set. And despite my heavy reservations about the Best of Both Worlds disc, it does seem to be the most practical way of giving us everything. If all the bonus features were going to be on the season sets and the BOBW BluRay was just going to have the two episodes as it will be presented without the cliffhanger, well, I would have bought that anyways.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 11:59 PM   #276
mr.peany
Fleet Captain
 
mr.peany's Avatar
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Question for our Aussie Trek fans in the know. Does anybody know what's happening with S3/BOBWHITE release? For a while it was said to be released early April, however there was rumour that entire release has been scrapped all together!!! Any more news?
__________________
Marge: "Oh no, how will the kids get home?"
Homer : "I dunno, internet?"
^Problem solving, Homer Simpson style.
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 12:01 AM   #277
BennyRussel
Commander
 
BennyRussel's Avatar
 
Location: Right around the corner. Just across the track.
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
so glad were back to in-house remastering this time around. It's night and day.
You can say that again.
Season 2 was pretty thin soup anyway. If they were going to swing and miss, that was the time to do it. Now, Season 3 is time for the home run.

From what we have seen, they are really doing it right.
__________________
"No I don't hate Balboa. But I pity the fool."
- C. Lang
1982
BennyRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 01:29 AM   #278
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Dac wrote: View Post
So, this is something - SyFy UK are advertising a premiere for TNG Season 3 on their HD channel on the 4TH OF MARCH. You heard that, the 4th of MARCH. I checked my Virgin Tivo box and, well, it lists Evolution, Who Watches the Watchers, Ensigns of Command etc....all in the right order. Considering they started airing Season 2 the week it came out over here, it's still surprising but not beyond the realm that they'd start airing TNG Season 3 in HD nearly a full 2 months before it's released on Blu Ray.

ALSO...big, BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG NEWS.

They also advertised STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE with it. I'm not 100% they were talking about HD versions but....well, my Dad who told me about it swore they did, and considering he was right about Season 3....

Hmmm. I guess I'll have to keep a look out for the advert to make sure....

EDIT: I found DS9 in the schedules, its there, on the HD channel. I highly highly highly doubt it's a proper remaster however. TNG puzzles me though - why would they advertise Season 3 after heavily pushing the fact they have the first 2 seasons in HD?

This seems highly unlikely, I guess we'll have to ask around a bit to find out.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 01:31 AM   #279
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Jeyl wrote: View Post
So glad to hear the commentary track for Yesterday's Enterprise was put back on the set. And despite my heavy reservations about the Best of Both Worlds disc, it does seem to be the most practical way of giving us everything. If all the bonus features were going to be on the season sets and the BOBW BluRay was just going to have the two episodes as it will be presented without the cliffhanger, well, I would have bought that anyways.
I like having BOBW separate from the 3rd season, symbolically I guess..I want it to be treated like a movie.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 08:20 PM   #280
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain
 
FrontierTrek's Avatar
 
Location: TrekCore.com
View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Hi all. I'm rolling out a special interview series with ROGER LAY, JR. who produces the bonus features with Rob Burnett on the TNG Blus as well as the ENT Blus. It's mainly Enterprise focused, but there are a few anecdotes on TNG from Part 2 onwards.

Here's Part 2:
http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/02/exc...rview-part-ii/
__________________
www.TrekCore.com :: The Net's LARGEST Trek Multimedia Site
Over 450,000 Trek DVD & Blu-Ray Caps from EVERY episode/movie!
FrontierTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 12:03 AM   #281
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Hi all. I'm rolling out a special interview series with ROGER LAY, JR. who produces the bonus features with Rob Burnett on the TNG Blus as well as the ENT Blus. It's mainly Enterprise focused, but there are a few anecdotes on TNG from Part 2 onwards.

Here's Part 2:
http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/02/exc...rview-part-ii/
Great stuff. This is what we mean when we talk about fans (in the industry) being involved in the material, there's a different level to the attention to detail.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 12:29 AM   #282
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Hi all. I'm rolling out a special interview series with ROGER LAY, JR. who produces the bonus features with Rob Burnett on the TNG Blus as well as the ENT Blus. It's mainly Enterprise focused, but there are a few anecdotes on TNG from Part 2 onwards.

Here's Part 2:
http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/02/exc...rview-part-ii/

Crap, they compared Emergence with Masks again...Emergence=hideous crap, Masks=one of STNG's best hours...ugh.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 01:25 AM   #283
Maxwell Everett
Commodore
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

RAMA wrote: View Post
Crap, they compared Emergence with Masks again...Emergence=hideous crap, Masks=one of STNG's best hours...ugh.
Well, I don't know about that! But it all comes down to personal preference, doesn't it? He also implied seasons 5 & 6 of TNG were the best seasons, whereas I would give that honor to 3 & 4. To each his own, I suppose.
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 04:37 AM   #284
jimbotron
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Emergence, bad, you say?

Yeeee haw, New Vertiform City!
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 09:19 AM   #285
sadsquid
Lieutenant
 
Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

I liked both Emergence and Masks Better than some other Season 7 episodes, although I'm usually less harsh on Season 7 than most.

Agree with him on Season 6 though, it's my favourite! Very underrated season IMO.
sadsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.