Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 25 2013, 10:40 PM   #406
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Seth Macfarlane tapped to host this years Academy Awards!

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
The host was fine. I liked him. But the Oscars is all politics. And having the First Lady at the end did nothing to lessen that feeling.

That was totally inappropriate.
Inappropriate, how? She holds no actual office, and she's a popular figure, both culturally and socially. The current Administration is a media friendly one, and both Barack and Michelle stay active in the social media circuit, and something as large as the Oscars would surely be commented upon, and considering the subject matter of the films, entirely reasonable for her to make a comment praising the fine work done by the artists in question, as well as the actual soldiers who put their lives on the line every day.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 10:42 PM   #407
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

2013: The year Daredevil, Catwoman, and Mystique all got Oscars.

(Beating out Lois Lane and Aunt May.)

Last edited by Greg Cox; February 25 2013 at 11:04 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 10:52 PM   #408
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

The host was fine. I liked him. But the Oscars is all politics. And having the First Lady at the end did nothing to lessen that feeling.

Oh, please. Laura Bush appeared on the Oscars in a taped segment in 2002, and Presidents Reagan (as POTUS, not as an actor) and FDR made a video and radio message respectively. It's hardly anything new or out of bounds.

And what difference does it make? As mentioned, she holds no office, she has no influence over the awards, so what's the problem? There's no conflict of interest.

It's just people having an infantile reaction to someone who's married to a politician they don't like having the gall to appear on their sacred TV screens. BFD. Just because you don't like a politician doesn't mean you have to be repulsed by every little thing connected to them, even if it has nothing to do with the running of the country whatsoever.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 10:58 PM   #409
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I don't remember Bush's appearance well, but was there this big of an outcry from the left? I don't remember any, or at least wasn't part of it.
Old February 25 2013, 10:58 PM   #410
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Exactly. So the current First Lady showed up to make an innocuous little speech about supporting the arts. What's inappropriate, offensive, or remotely controversial about that?

Laura Bush used to make public appearances supporting literacy. Never bothered me one bit . . . .
Old February 25 2013, 11:04 PM   #411
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post

Oh, please. Laura Bush appeared on the Oscars in a taped segment in 2002, and Presidents Reagan (as POTUS, not as an actor) and FDR made a video and radio message respectively. It's hardly anything new or out of bounds.

And what difference does it make? As mentioned, she holds no office, she has no influence over the awards, so what's the problem? There's no conflict of interest.
If it had been a Republican First Lady I wouldn't have even thought twice about it. Much like I didn't think twice about it when Michelle Obama was on there.
Old February 25 2013, 11:05 PM   #412
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I honestly can't believe people are this petty.
Old February 25 2013, 11:11 PM   #413
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Just wait a few years until President Ashley Judd appears at the Oscars . . .
Old February 25 2013, 11:16 PM   #414
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Exactly. So the current First Lady showed up to make an innocuous little speech about supporting the arts. What's inappropriate, offensive, or remotely controversial about that?
I was more offended that they couldn't just get ON with the damn show after they started running late. Start cutting the spiels.
Old February 25 2013, 11:36 PM   #415
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

If they're really interested in trimming the fat and speeding things up, do they really need to explain, year after year, the significance of each of the various categories. I've been watching the Oscars my entire life and, honestly, I never need to hear another pretty little speech about the vital importance of Sound Editing or Art Direction or even Screenwriting. ("It all begins with a blank page . . . . ")

Can we just stipulate that the Editing and Musical Composition and Costume Design and rest are all important enough to be honored and get on with it?
Old February 25 2013, 11:43 PM   #416
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
MacFarlane was a lot better than I expected. I'm a huge Family Guy fan, but always found him kind of smug and off-putting in person. But I thought he actually came across really well last night, and the stuff with Shatner, the boob song, the sock puppets, and flying nun had me rolling on the floor.

Other aspects of the show seemed a bit strange though. Like the heavy emphasis on musicals (I loved the Chicago movie, but.... what was that about?), the Bond stuff, and the incredibly awkward way they introduced the Best Picture nominees in groups of three.

And Argo as Best Picture? Really? It was a great, well-executed thriller, but nothing we haven't seen before. Especially in the 1970s, when movies like The French Connection, Three Days of the Condor, etc were kind of the norm.

To me, Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty and even Beasts of the Southern Wild were MUCH more interesting and original.
I don't think either Argo or Zero Dark Thirty are anything but average thrillers getting attention for their subject matter (and in the case of Argo, for making Hollywood feel good about itself). Zero Dark Thirty bored the hell out of me. It recreated the events, but why? I saw no depth, no emotional resonance, and I didn't get the impression that the movie was saying anything. I just kept thinking "Why should I care? Just shoot him already and finish the damn movie."

Every other of the remaining seven movies was better, more interesting and original.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 11:45 PM   #417
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

my point was that the Oscars had become so political as it is, which was why the awards were so spread out (and of course, likely one of the reasons Lincoln wasn't going to win, and why films by particular filmmakers weren't considered - ahem Clod Atlas.) Sure, the First Lady holds no political office but she does represent politics of some sort by showing up anywhere. You have to appreciate that this is just my opinion. I thought it was tactless.
Old February 25 2013, 11:59 PM   #418
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
If they're really interested in trimming the fat and speeding things up, do they really need to explain, year after year, the significance of each of the various categories. I've been watching the Oscars my entire life and, honestly, I never need to hear another pretty little speech about the vital importance of Sound Editing or Art Direction or even Screenwriting. ("It all begins with a blank page . . . . ")

Can we just stipulate that the Editing and Musical Composition and Costume Design and rest are all important enough to be honored and get on with it?
Those aren't the things that slows down the Oscars. Someone pointed out on twitter: there are 24 awards. If each award was given 3 minutes of screen time, that's 72 minutes.

If it was broken down, 1 minute to introduce what the award is and who is nominated, that's still two minutes to let the person speak. OR, 2 minutes to introduce the award and then 1 minute for a speech.

It's not the awards themselves that cause the Oscars to run late. It's all the stuff in between. I'm looking at you Not Particularly Effect Bond Celebration Music thingy.
Old February 25 2013, 11:59 PM   #419
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

my point was that the Oscars had become so political as it is, which was why the awards were so spread out (and of course, likely one of the reasons Lincoln wasn't going to win, and why films by particular filmmakers weren't considered - ahem Clod Atlas.) Sure, the First Lady holds no political office but she does represent politics of some sort by showing up anywhere. You have to appreciate that this is just my opinion. I thought it was tactless.
Are you talking studio politics or politics politics?

The way I see it, the President and First Lady, regardless of who gets elected, are always going to be in the public eye and making appearances at special events, be it throwing out the first ball at a baseball game or meeting with this year's National Spelling Bee champions. This just struck me as more of the same.
Old February 26 2013, 12:07 AM   #420
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

my point was that the Oscars had become so political as it is, which was why the awards were so spread out (and of course, likely one of the reasons Lincoln wasn't going to win, and why films by particular filmmakers weren't considered - ahem Clod Atlas.)
Wow, you're all over the place.

What was so political about last night's show? The most HIPPIE! COMMIE! LIBRUL! thing said was Anne Hathaway's boobs telling us that hopefully hunger like that experienced by Fantine in Les Mis will eventually be relegated purely to the realm of fiction. My god, what a horrifying political message! "Yay, starvation! Down with feeding people!"

You also seem to be randomly mixing "political" in the Hollywood snobbery sense with being literally political in the sense that the First Lady made an appearance. They're not remotely the same thing.

I loved Cloud Atlas, but you're nuts if you thought it had any chance of being nominated for Best Picture with its lukewarm reviews and weak box office. Failing the latter can be tolerated, but not both. It had nothing to do with any Oscar bias against the Wachowskis or the director Tom Tykwer, whose Run Lola Run was a huge critical success and received numerous awards and nominations.

You have to appreciate that this is just my opinion.
No, I don't. It's a petty, childish opinion.

I thought it was tactless.
Nope. Complaining about something so mundane and harmless just because you have a problem with her husband sure is, though.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote