RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Posts: 5,429,326
Members: 24,818
Currently online: 395
Newest member: Thomas Eugene


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 25 2013, 09:40 PM   #16
Wereghost
Commodore
 
Wereghost's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: Pertwee was an even bigger badass than we thought

Christopher wrote: View Post
Is there any independent corroboration for these claims, though?
My thought exactly. Pertwee would have been only about 25 when the war ended, and the Daily Mail is perhaps not he most reputable of sources.
__________________
Time is the boss of me.
Wereghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 10:54 PM   #17
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: Pertwee was an even bigger badass than we thought

The Mail were only following a story that aired in DWM though, the James Bond website MI6 had the same story today as well.
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 11:09 PM   #18
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Pertwee was an even bigger badass than we thought

Wereghost wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Is there any independent corroboration for these claims, though?
My thought exactly. Pertwee would have been only about 25 when the war ended, and the Daily Mail is perhaps not he most reputable of sources.
Without getting into the actual claims that in itself would not be usual.
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 03:03 AM   #19
solariabsg25
Captain
 
solariabsg25's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, UK
View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile
Re: Pertwee was an even bigger badass than we thought

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Wereghost wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
Is there any independent corroboration for these claims, though?
My thought exactly. Pertwee would have been only about 25 when the war ended, and the Daily Mail is perhaps not he most reputable of sources.
Without getting into the actual claims that in itself would not be usual.
Age-wise, it was not uncommon for young personnel to get promotions if they had a 'knack' for special duties.

I just find it more amazing that prior to WWII, he served on the ill-fated H.M.S. Hood, and had he not been re-assigned, he could well have died when Bismark sent her to the bottom.

As he lost a lot of friends on that ship, it could well have been a motivation for him to give it his all.
__________________
"A perfect organism, unclouded by remorse, or human illusions of morality." - Ash, Alien
solariabsg25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 03:14 AM   #20
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Pertwee was an even bigger badass than we thought

That picture of the young Pertwee reminds me of Arthur Darvill.
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6 2013, 03:53 AM   #21
diankra
Commodore
 
Location: UK
Re: Pertwee was an even bigger badass than we thought

solariabsg25 wrote: View Post
I just find it more amazing that prior to WWII, he served on the ill-fated H.M.S. Hood, and had he not been re-assigned, he could well have died when Bismark sent her to the bottom.
As a side note, Patrick Troughton was almost lost when the ship he was on was sunk at the start of the war, ISTR, and he later served as captain of a minesweeper.
__________________
"Some days are better than others. They say that where I come from."
"Loudly, I imagine, on the day you left."
(Blake's 7 - Rumours of Death)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.