Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 25 2013, 07:02 AM   #376
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: Seth Macfarlane tapped to host this years Academy Awards!

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
The oscars are notorious for feeling like they drag
This felt an hour longer than usual

For my time zone the normal is 7:30 pm to 10:30pm

This time the oscars went to 11:05 pm. A half hour more due to opening and songs
Old February 25 2013, 07:03 AM   #377
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

EDIT: re:Jennifer Lawrence

^^ I saw that earlier, she's really funny in a natural way.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 07:15 AM   #378
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

The two awards that made me really happy was Christoph Waltz winning for Django and Ang Lee winning best directior. As for the show, it was a decent show but it just went too long. McFarlane wasn't bad, and I wouldn't mind if he hosted again, but the pacing of the show needs to be improved significantly. I'm glad I live on the west coast just because once they get to all the big awards, it would be almost midnight on the east.
Old February 25 2013, 07:20 AM   #379
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I really didn't find it all that funny and frankly, I wish they had cut the opening numbers (although the actors were great), the salute to Chicago, the long montage to Bond music, and Streisand (ugh). That would've shaved about an hour off of an already too long show.
auntiehill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 07:25 AM   #380
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

auntiehill wrote: View Post
I really didn't find it all that funny and frankly, I wish they had cut the opening numbers (although the actors were great), the salute to Chicago, the long montage to Bond music, and Streisand (ugh). That would've shaved about an hour off of an already too long show.
I did not understand the salute to Chicago at all. Having it win best picture isn't a bigger deal than something like The Artist winning best picture last year. In fact, all the musical numbers should have been either significantly shorter or just not done at all. You want to perform the best songs, fine. This is an awards show, not the Grammy's, which while that is an awards show, the awards play second fiddle to the performances.
Old February 25 2013, 08:53 AM   #381
Tom Servo
Commodore

You'd think Ang Lee would give a shout out to Rhythm and Hues, also known as the VFX that practically made his movie. Oh and it's also the company that had to declare bankruptcy and lay off 250 artists and workers in between the release of Life of Pi, and tonight.

However, just like how the VFX award winners were pushed off the stage when they tried to bring to light the current business model of VFX being extremely exploitative to the artist, his lack of mention just shows how much respect the VFX industry really gets in Hollywood.

Get it through your head Hollywood. Ang Lee didn't bring Life of Pi to life. The hundreds of artists and technicians at R&H and other studios did, and while you get to go up there accept your big award, THEY got sent home with no paycheck, and no job.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 09:41 AM   #382
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
And half the audience is now pissed off lol.
Well, not really.

I'd imagine many Americans are able to view her life story admiringly, and that a good number of Americans - and an even larger percentage of foreigners watching the broadcast - are able to handle seeing the First Lady without falling into fits of rage. After all, her approval rating wouldn't be this high if it weren't for GOP supporting Romney voters on her side too.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 10:05 AM   #383
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I don't like Seth Macfarlane (I don't watch his movies and can't stand Family Guy or any of his other TV series), but he genuinely made me laugh - sometimes uproariously - with his hosting gig tonight.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 10:26 AM   #384
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Argo is a bullshit win. No remarkable performances, an unearned ending, and a perfect example of giving into the CIA fetish while giving other countries the shaft. I get that the film was made with the best of intentions but it's nowhere near as thought provoking as Zero Dark Thirty or, and it wasn't even nominated, The Master.
I don't think that's a fair assessment of the film. While I agree it's more of an ensemble piece, I think Arkin gave a standout supporting performance and was nominated as a result. But all of the actors did a fine job of showing the fear and desperation and ingenuity of those involved.

Not sure what you mean by "unearned ending," though. Do you mean how they embellished events to make the ending more cinematic by making things seem more in danger of falling apart as they were going through airport security than they actually were and introducing a runway chase that never happened? If so, welcome to Hollywood. I don't think that really takes away from the quality of the movie and the overall tense feeling, unease, and then sense of relief it gives you despite knowing the outcome in advance.

As far as the CIA fetish goes, while I would have preferred that they gave the Canadians the greater recognition they deserved (though they do get a large share of the praise in the film, as well), it's not like the CIA's involvement was made up out of whole cloth (they were equally responsible for the operation), and the storytelling reasons why they would play up that angle make sense. A story focusing on a spy going in to hostile territory is more dramatic (and true), and allows you to focus on a central character (Affleck's Tony Mendez) rather than the numerous people actually involved. It's not like they only omitted some of the Canadians involved; Mendez's longtime CIA exfiltration partner who went in with him and left with the group was also left out to streamline the story.

And it seems odd to comment on a CIA fetish while praising Zero Dark Thirty, a film which implies that CIA torture of terror suspects led to actionable intelligence that resulted in the killing of bin Laden, when there's no proof of that being the case (I know you won't argue the torture point Sid, but just FYI for anyone else; I don't want to get into a torture argument in the Oscar thread, so anyone who doesn't like my comment, I'll be happy to discuss it in TNZ or Miscellaneous if you like). Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic movie as well and I'd be fine with it winning, but it seems strange to criticize Argo's CIA focus while praising ZDT. At least in Argo it was a wholly nonviolent operation that resulted in rescuing everyone intended without any lives lost on either side, so it's worthy of praise in that respect. And there's plenty of criticism in the film of the CIA's and the US's prior involvement with propping up the Shah's brutal regime, so it's not like they skate away clean.

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Jennifer Lawrence is awesome. She's so funny and humble and genuine, and I love the blunt and self-deprecating way she handles the moronic questions from the reporters.

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
You'd think Ang Lee would give a shout out to Rhythm and Hues, also known as the VFX that practically made his movie. Oh and it's also the company that had to declare bankruptcy and lay off 250 artists and workers in between the release of Life of Pi, and tonight.

However, just like how the VFX award winners were pushed off the stage when they tried to bring to light the current business model of VFX being extremely exploitative to the artist, his lack of mention just shows how much respect the VFX industry really gets in Hollywood.

Get it through your head Hollywood. Ang Lee didn't bring Life of Pi to life. The hundreds of artists and technicians at R&H and other studios did, and while you get to go up there accept your big award, THEY got sent home with no paycheck, and no job.
I was irritated by the bolded part as well, and said as much during the live commentary on the show. That was completely disrespectful to the speaker, who was not doing the usual longwinded thank you speech but was appealing to the Hollywood elite in the room to support a dying VFX company/industry.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 01:21 PM   #385
the G-man
Commodore

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
auntiehill wrote: View Post
I did not understand the salute to Chicago at all....
Apparently the oscar show's producer also produced that movie.

Seems a little self indulgent, if not crassly self promotional.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 01:41 PM   #386
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I like how Ben Affleck thanked Canada during his acceptance speech.
Old February 25 2013, 04:46 PM   #387
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Glad to see Life of Pi having won as many awards as it did. Maybe now people will pay attention to it.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 04:51 PM   #388
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I was just waiting for it to show up on DVD.

Anyway, I was a bit too busy watching the Oscars to come in here and participate in the thread during it's run, but loved the show. I like Seth McFarlane, and I think he did a terrific job. The Shatner/Kirk scene just about made me plotz, it was hilarious! I always look forward to the Oscars, and I have been disappointed in the past, but this year was a lot of fun, and Argo won for best picture, which was great.

Now I just can't wait for next year!
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 04:56 PM   #389
Danny99
Vice Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Argo is a bullshit win. No remarkable performances, an unearned ending, and a perfect example of giving into the CIA fetish while giving other countries the shaft.
I'm glad an American said this before I did. "CIA fetish" is a great way to describe it. I feel insulted that Canada's involvement has been minimized and Affleck's character (who in reality was in Iran for maybe 48 hour) is basically given all the limelight.

All of McFarlane's humor could have been inserted into a Family Guy episode. He was a poor choice and a poor host.
Old February 25 2013, 05:03 PM   #390
the G-man
Commodore

I thought MacFarlane was great, as noted above, but the reviews of him seem to be more negative than not. Not Franco or letterman level bad but not overly positive. I'm surprised
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote