Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 12 2013, 04:35 AM   #691
blssdwlf
Commodore

Re: TOS Enterprise WIP

@DanGovier - Thank you just made my day You keep up your good minecraft work as well!

I've been under the weather the last few days buy managed to squeeze in the texturing on the comm panel. I think it'll be good enough for now:

blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 05:10 AM   #692
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Fascinating work! Before I scrolled down the page I couldn't even tell it was a CGI recreation.

But I think the intercom push button could be larger (I do think the intercom push button on Kirk's bridge chair is even bigger, but you get the idea?).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 07:41 AM   #693
blssdwlf
Commodore

@Bob - Good catch. I adjusted the push button to be wider and a little more rounded. Also tweaked the panel color to be more orange.

And this is the "Mudd's Women" version that doesn't have the rivets and a minor alteration here or there.

Old January 13 2013, 02:17 PM   #694
Robert Comsol
Commodore

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
"As to the decals, from the screenshots, only one is visible and that is the one at the refueling station. I'm sure there are others as I've seen some on the backstage pics, but since they were not visible or noticeable in the aired episodes they're not going to be high priority for me to place in."
Sorry I have to get back again to the flight deck for a minute. If I remember correctly from this shuttlebay VFX miniature thread (I posted the link here several weeks or months ago) the white sign supposedly said "Warning Fire".

You interpret this unique port side wall structure as a refueling station. Alternately, I think we could be looking at an engine test installation, i.e. shuttlecraft is "glued" to the platform while performing an engine test at full power and those wall bumps are sensors that measure output and thrust.

Bob
Old January 13 2013, 03:00 PM   #695
blssdwlf
Commodore

From the reference shots of that section, the white block above the block with angled down pipes said, "FUELING STATION". Arguably, it's not very clear from the SD video and could be anything you want it to be.

A testing station would more likely be further back, where the clamshell doors are though since engine testing at full power would likely be exposed to space.
Old January 13 2013, 03:56 PM   #696
BK613
Captain

The shape of the black "grommet" around the white button looks conical in your WIP but I'm seeing more of a flat washer/cylindrical collar setup in that reference photo. Kind of like the cross-section of a boater hat.
Old January 13 2013, 04:40 PM   #697
blssdwlf
Commodore

@BK613 - I think you are right. It's hard to make out but I can see what you're talking about here. Thanks for the catch!
Old January 14 2013, 04:40 AM   #698
blssdwlf
Commodore

Made a correction to the black grommet to have a hat profile. Modeled the wall red alert panel as well...

Question for those that might know: Are there published color swatches (digital or scanned) of the interior colors?

Old January 14 2013, 08:44 AM   #699
blssdwlf
Commodore

And now the TCOTK Observation room:

Old January 21 2013, 08:39 AM   #700
blssdwlf
Commodore

Added "best approximations" for the three greebles in this room...

also, this next image is a tangent to the dilithium holder seen on the TWOK Enterprise and TVH BOP. A nice touch to Scotty's line about "converting the dilithium sequencer into something a little less primitive"... by borrowing the design from the Enterprise

Old February 24 2013, 01:26 AM   #701
Robert Comsol
Commodore

blssdwlf wrote: View Post

I finally published today my revised draft of Engineering Deck 11.

In other news I discovered today a photo of all the original 11 foot VFX model and flight deck text signs (see post 11-13-12).

As we know from Richard Datin's website these text signs were used on the flight deck model miniature (i.e. two text signs from the small print were used on the exterior of the 11' model while obviously the bigger ones were used for the flight deck model).

Though it's practically impossible to read the text in the original TOS shots, we can see two words on the port side white panel, which therefore can either be:
  • OXYGEN VENT
  • GROUND LOCK
  • HYDRAULIC ACCESS
For the larger equipment bay on the starboard side, the photo in Allan Asherman's Star Trek Compendium reveals that it apparently is a text sign consisting of two words in two lines (top line wider than bottom line):
  • EQUIPMENT / HATCH
  • EXPLOSIVE BOLT / ACCESS
A forensic analysis of the available shuttlebay miniature shots may reveal where to place which text signs once we know the proportions of the text (just to have all the texts in readable form really made my day today).

Bob
Old February 24 2013, 10:07 AM   #702
Mytran
Fleet Captain

The Asherman photo:
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 03:23 PM   #703
blssdwlf
Commodore

@Bob - that's a great find!

@Mytran - excellent photo as well!

Does anyone know where this is from? I took a snap of it while researching with google but I didn't remember to write down where it came from:
Old February 25 2013, 11:42 AM   #704
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Amazing find, blssdwlf! In your shuttle storage thread Mytran presented what would be the corresponding close-up shot of the embayment on the starboard side.

I did express some doubt whether the pictures are authentic (compare the proportions of the embayment to authentic VFX model shots). They could simply be a fan's reproduction of the original model (did this come from a modeler's magazine???).

What confuses me here, is that Richard Datin (he knew best) claimed that texts of the text sign sheet had been used for the flight deck signage, but none of these signs in these close-up shots do feature any of this text and apparently use a different font style for the lettering.

Apparently Richard Datin had high resolution shots of the original flight deck miniature with text, but what he posted on his startrekman.us website lacks the necessary resolution to decipher the text.

Unless I'd see solid evidence to the contrary, I'd assume the close-up shots to come from a fan reproduction.

Bob

Last edited by Robert Comsol; February 25 2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old February 25 2013, 01:10 PM   #705
blssdwlf
Commodore

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I did express some doubt whether the pictures are authentic (compare the proportions of the embayment to authentic VFX model shots). They could simply be a fan's reproduction of the original model (did this come from a modeler's magazine???).
They might be reproductions. OTOH, in the Photo Request thread, USS Mariner posts some pics (which unfortunately are no longer there) in #16 which Professor Moriarty used in his CGI model. FalTorPan comments on it in #37 and he mentions seeing "Fueling Station". I wonder if the pics posted by USS Mariner had close ups in it?

In either case, for my purposes since it isn't readable it can mean anything. "Fueling Station" makes sense but if I had to pick from the decal sheet, "Ground Lock" and "Oxygen Vent" have my vote.