Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old February 13 2013, 02:51 AM   #106
Procutus
Admiral

Re: Classic Who on BBC America

Turbo wrote: View Post
I would be shocked if it wasn't The Tomb of the Cybermen. One of Matt Smith's favorite stories, a four-parter, pretty good quality even without the DVD restorations? It certainly beats The Krotons.

Works for me!

Old February 15 2013, 11:16 PM   #107
Anachronus
Commodore

The BBC America site is showing Tomb of the Cybermen (shock) on 2/24/13 with the usual lead in documentary.

-St. Augustine of Hippo
Anachronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 04:04 AM   #108
Procutus
Admiral

^

Excellent! In many ways, I'm looking forward to this even more than the Hartnell special last month. It'll be great to see classic Cybermen once again.
Old February 16 2013, 07:38 AM   #109
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It may be predictable but it's a solid choice.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2013, 06:47 PM   #110
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Anachronus wrote: View Post
The BBC America site is showing Tomb of the Cybermen (shock) on 2/24/13 with the usual lead in documentary.
Pity it's not this weekend so they don't co-inside with the Academy Awards

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 11:42 PM   #111
Santa Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Santa Klaus's Twitter Profile

They're re-running last month's first ["The Aztecs" justed started]... I'm looking forward to the new one.
Santa Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 11:44 PM   #112
Procutus
Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post

I keep looking for a pun in that statement, but it seems to elude me.

Old February 25 2013, 01:48 AM   #113
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Procutus wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post

I keep looking for a pun in that statement, but it seems to elude me.

Heh, nope, no pun for once.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 02:16 AM   #114
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Tomb of the Cybermen is one of those serials that is never as good as it sounds but it's not like there are many Troughton episodes to choose from. I'd probably enjoy The Mind Robber more but that seems like an episode that takes a particular taste while Tomb is a bit broader.
Old February 25 2013, 02:25 AM   #115
Christopher
Writer

On the other hand, "The Mind Robber" has sparkly catsuit Zoe, which is one of the greatest things ever. They just showed a clip of her outfighting the Karkus, which I'd forgotten about.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 05:03 AM   #116
Christopher
Writer

Semi-live-blogging the episode:

Oh, this is ghastly. The edition of "Tomb of the Cybermen" they're showing has been altered to fit a widescreen format. The middle of the image is normal, but it gets stretched out toward the edges. And in some shots there's some kind of digital processing error that's making things flicker and change shape. I think it's making me nauseous.

I'd forgotten how confident, brave, and resourceful Victoria was in this one. That sure changed over the course of the season.

If the Eleventh Doctor were Cyber-converted, would he become a CyberMatt?

I've checked the credits online and there's no composer credit for this serial. Which is odd, since it has some rather distinctive music. It has kind of a Dudley Simpson sound to it, but I'm not sure. ...Wait a minute, on second thought, I think it's tracked music from "The Moonbase." But that doesn't have a composer credit either.

Oh, thank you, Kleig, for killing Viner. His constant panic was really getting on my nerves.

The Doctor really played with fire here. He manipulated events and allowed Kleig to get to where he could awaken the Cybermen, despite all his insistence that that shouldn't be allowed to happen... just because he wanted to see what Klieg's plan was? I think he let his curiosity get the best of him there.

Oh, and brilliant suggestion, Doctor -- lock up the crazy power-mad logicians in the room full of prototype weapons! How could that possibly go wrong? Is it me, or is the Doctor basically just making everything worse?

The Cyberman voice treatment here is interesting; I'd assume it's the sort of thing where they put a speaker emitting a buzzing noise against the actor's throat, so the sound resonates in his vocal tract, and he then mouths the dialogue to modulate the sound with lips and tongue. The problem is that many of the consonants don't come through very well, so it's hard to understand the dialogue. I'm watching it with the closed captioning on for clarity.

I really like the scene of the Doctor and Victoria talking about the loss of her father and the Doctor's memories of his own family. It's an unusual degree of character insight for the original series.

And I like the Doctor's gun handling technique right after. He takes the gun to stand watch, but just holds it loosely and absently as if he's just holding onto it for somebody else -- and the moment danger materializes in the form of Cybermats, the first thing he does is to put the gun down on the table and forget about it completely!

The actress playing Kaftan needed some work on her death-scene skills. As she fell "dead," you could see her shifting around to get comfy on the floor.

The portrayal of Toberman is quite an unfortunate racial stereotype, a product of the period. Yet nonetheless he's allowed to be somewhat heroic toward the end, which redeems it somewhat.

But the Doctor choosing to re-electrify the doors seems uncharacteristically vicious for him. Killing Cybermen is one thing, but he set it up to kill any hapless archaeologists who might come across the tomb again -- and he does get Toberman killed as a result. Again, practically everything bad here is the Doctor's fault. Why not just have the expedition use more of the blasting equipment they used at the beginning and re-bury the tomb?

Old February 25 2013, 02:28 PM   #117
Redfern
Commodore

Since I already have the story on DVD, I didn't bother watching the "main feature", just the "development discussion". However, before I switched off the TV, I too noticed the entire 47 inches of the screen were filled. I knew that couldn't be right, but I assumed they were possibly cropping the top and bottom of the image to fit modern widescreens. I'm not sure which would be worse.

I won't debate your assessments, Christopher. You do bring up some very interesting points. Some fans use this story to draw comparisons with McCoy's "grand manipulator" persona during the last two series of the "classic" era.

Just curious; was this your first viewing of the serial? The way you phrased some of your observations implied genuine surprise.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 02:42 PM   #118
CmdrAJD
Commodore

View CmdrAJD's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to CmdrAJD

I'm really wondering how they're going to fill out an entire half hour special on the Eighth Doctor. Sure they could get into the audios, but that's not exactly visual. And do we have any confirmation yet that BBCA will be showing the TVM to go with his special? I assume they will, but I have no idea if there are any issues with the rights.

http://www.star-traks.com
CmdrAJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 03:02 PM   #119
Christopher
Writer

Redfern wrote: View Post
Just curious; was this your first viewing of the serial? The way you phrased some of your observations implied genuine surprise.
I saw it when it was first released in US syndication after its recovery in '91, and a couple of times thereafter as my local PBS station cycled through the whole available series over and over. But this is the first time I've seen it in nearly two decades.

Old February 25 2013, 03:32 PM   #120
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

CmdrAJD wrote: View Post
I'm really wondering how they're going to fill out an entire half hour special on the Eighth Doctor. Sure they could get into the audios, but that's not exactly visual. And do we have any confirmation yet that BBCA will be showing the TVM to go with his special? I assume they will, but I have no idea if there are any issues with the rights.
I'm fairly sure that any rights issues would have been sorted before they announced they would be doing one of these nights for each Doctor.