USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old February 24 2013, 07:03 PM   #31
Captain Atkin
Commander

Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

boobatuba wrote: View Post
Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
Of course, neither was "Flesh Gordon", and that film still has a lot of fans.
Appeal to popularity fallacy. Lots of people think homosexuals will and should be tortured for eternity in a lake of fire, too...doesn't make that point of view any less evil.
Sorry, you lost me. Are you are saying that "Flesh Gordon" is an evil film? I'll admit, it's not a very good film... but... evil?
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 07:07 PM   #32
boobatuba
Rear Admiral

Sorry, you lost me. Are you are saying that "Flesh Gordon" is an evil film? I'll admit, it's not a very good film... but... evil?
I didn't give any opinion about "Flesh Gordon" at all. I pointed out that simply because a lot of people like something doesn't make that something "good."
Old February 24 2013, 07:10 PM   #33
Captain Atkin
Commander

I didn't give any opinion about "Flesh Gordon" at all. I pointed out that simply because a lot of people like something doesn't make that something "good."
I understand. My girlfriend feels the same way about a TV show I love called Star Trek. Sure, lots of people love it and think its good, but she won't have any of it.
Old February 24 2013, 07:17 PM   #34
boobatuba
Rear Admiral

I understand. My girlfriend feels the same way about a TV show I love called Star Trek. Sure, lots of people love it and think its good, but she won't have any of it.
Sure. But in the same manner, if she alleged that something in an episode were offensive, it wouldn't be fair to say it isn't just because Star Trek has a lot of fans (or, as was asserted earlier, that it's not offensive because the writer of the offensive thing had "immunity" because he/she was part of a particular group).
Old February 24 2013, 07:40 PM   #35
Captain Atkin
Commander

Sure. But in the same manner, if she alleged that something in an episode were offensive, it wouldn't be fair to say it isn't just because Star Trek has a lot of fans (or, as was asserted earlier, that it's not offensive because the writer of the offensive thing had "immunity" because he/she was part of a particular group).
When it comes to comedy like this, you are always going to risk offending a few people. Personally, I find this about as offensive as a Police Academy or Naked Gun film. Even "Star Trek: DS9" had Quark become a woman in one episode, and that was played for laughs but still offended some fans. If you make a joke about something political, racial, sexual, or religious to a group of people, it is very likely that someone will be offended.
Old February 24 2013, 08:14 PM   #36
USS Intrepid
Commodore

I didn't find the gay stereotype offensive, but I did find it puerile. I realised very quickly the humour in this just wasn't my thing. Nothing wrong with that though, as Captain Atkin pointed out, these things are entirely subjective.
Old February 24 2013, 09:27 PM   #37
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Really, I think we've come far enough in society to see that type of gay stereotype to be as offensive as black-face.
Old February 24 2013, 09:37 PM   #38
USS Intrepid
Commodore

I can't really disagree with that, but I think there's a fine line between offensive and puerile. And that line is different for different people. Which is really the only point I was making.

I agree it's a stereotype, and I don't think there's anything positive in portraying people like that. Others may disagree.
Old February 24 2013, 09:49 PM   #39
Avon
Fleet Captain

yeah you should totally add some blackface to this. and maybe a greedy jew too.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 10:24 PM   #40
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

junxon wrote: View Post
yeah you should totally add some blackface to this. and maybe a greedy jew too.
Maybe a dumb blonde, a really smart Indian. Stuff like that would really class it up.
Old February 24 2013, 10:24 PM   #41
Captain Atkin
Commander

Part of the joke of the film was the crew's claim that homosexuality had been eradictated by the 24th century, when obviously it hadn't been, as the running gag is that all of the bridge crew are in denial about their true sexuality. The only one who seems to be interested in women in the film is the robot.

Homosexuality was never addressed in 1980s TNG (in relation to human relationships), and I don't personally see anything wrong with poking fun at that, which is what this fan film seems to be doing.
Old February 24 2013, 11:16 PM   #42
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Part of the joke of the film was the crew's claim that homosexuality had been eradictated by the 24th century, when obviously it hadn't been, as the running gag is that all of the bridge crew are in denial about their true sexuality. The only one who seems to be interested in women in the film is the robot.

Homosexuality was never addressed in 1980s TNG (in relation to human relationships), and I don't personally see anything wrong with poking fun at that, which is what this fan film seems to be doing.
That's one thing. Doing it with a strong gay stereotype sort of ruins the message.
Old February 24 2013, 11:34 PM   #43
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Well, at least this stirred up some discussion. I like that.

I didn't find Troy offensive per se, but he was the only character who was trafficking in such a stereotype. If the point is to lampoon the lack of gays in Star Trek, that's a terrific idea, just the execution here makes it unclear who the joke is on.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 11:50 PM   #44
Captain Atkin
Commander

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
That's one thing. Doing it with a strong gay stereotype sort of ruins the message.
As I said before, comedy is subjective. When I watch "Troy" on screen, I see an exagerated woman. A caricature. To me, this is just a guy in drag performing on a stage. This is really no different than the type of performance you would find at a cabaret or drag show. The performance is meant to be "over the top".
Old February 24 2013, 11:57 PM   #45
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
As I said before, comedy is subjective. When I watch "Troy" on screen, I see an exagerated woman. A caricature. To me, this is just a guy in drag performing on a stage. This is no different than the type of performance you would find at a cabaret or drag show.
Except he's not dressed as a woman or made to look like a woman in any way, shape, or form and DOES act like every single gay stereotype there ever was right down to the pedo-stache.