RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,763
Posts: 5,433,848
Members: 24,839
Currently online: 619
Newest member: mrcptuk

TrekToday headlines

The Art of John Alvin Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 24 2013, 07:03 PM   #31
Captain Atkin
Commander
 
Captain Atkin's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

boobatuba wrote: View Post
Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
Of course, neither was "Flesh Gordon", and that film still has a lot of fans.
Appeal to popularity fallacy. Lots of people think homosexuals will and should be tortured for eternity in a lake of fire, too...doesn't make that point of view any less evil.
Sorry, you lost me. Are you are saying that "Flesh Gordon" is an evil film? I'll admit, it's not a very good film... but... evil?
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 07:07 PM   #32
boobatuba
Rear Admiral
 
boobatuba's Avatar
 
Location: Stillwater, OK
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
Sorry, you lost me. Are you are saying that "Flesh Gordon" is an evil film? I'll admit, it's not a very good film... but... evil?
I didn't give any opinion about "Flesh Gordon" at all. I pointed out that simply because a lot of people like something doesn't make that something "good."
__________________
Your benevolent dictator for life.
boobatuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 07:10 PM   #33
Captain Atkin
Commander
 
Captain Atkin's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

boobatuba wrote: View Post
Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
Sorry, you lost me. Are you are saying that "Flesh Gordon" is an evil film? I'll admit, it's not a very good film... but... evil?
I didn't give any opinion about "Flesh Gordon" at all. I pointed out that simply because a lot of people like something doesn't make that something "good."
I understand. My girlfriend feels the same way about a TV show I love called Star Trek. Sure, lots of people love it and think its good, but she won't have any of it.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 07:17 PM   #34
boobatuba
Rear Admiral
 
boobatuba's Avatar
 
Location: Stillwater, OK
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
I understand. My girlfriend feels the same way about a TV show I love called Star Trek. Sure, lots of people love it and think its good, but she won't have any of it.
Sure. But in the same manner, if she alleged that something in an episode were offensive, it wouldn't be fair to say it isn't just because Star Trek has a lot of fans (or, as was asserted earlier, that it's not offensive because the writer of the offensive thing had "immunity" because he/she was part of a particular group).
__________________
Your benevolent dictator for life.
boobatuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 07:40 PM   #35
Captain Atkin
Commander
 
Captain Atkin's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

boobatuba wrote: View Post
Sure. But in the same manner, if she alleged that something in an episode were offensive, it wouldn't be fair to say it isn't just because Star Trek has a lot of fans (or, as was asserted earlier, that it's not offensive because the writer of the offensive thing had "immunity" because he/she was part of a particular group).
When it comes to comedy like this, you are always going to risk offending a few people. Personally, I find this about as offensive as a Police Academy or Naked Gun film. Even "Star Trek: DS9" had Quark become a woman in one episode, and that was played for laughs but still offended some fans. If you make a joke about something political, racial, sexual, or religious to a group of people, it is very likely that someone will be offended.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 08:14 PM   #36
USS Intrepid
Commodore
 
USS Intrepid's Avatar
 
Location: Dundee, Scotland, UK
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

I didn't find the gay stereotype offensive, but I did find it puerile. I realised very quickly the humour in this just wasn't my thing. Nothing wrong with that though, as Captain Atkin pointed out, these things are entirely subjective.
__________________
Star Trek: Intrepid
USS Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 09:27 PM   #37
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

Really, I think we've come far enough in society to see that type of gay stereotype to be as offensive as black-face.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 09:37 PM   #38
USS Intrepid
Commodore
 
USS Intrepid's Avatar
 
Location: Dundee, Scotland, UK
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

I can't really disagree with that, but I think there's a fine line between offensive and puerile. And that line is different for different people. Which is really the only point I was making.

I agree it's a stereotype, and I don't think there's anything positive in portraying people like that. Others may disagree.
__________________
Star Trek: Intrepid
USS Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 09:49 PM   #39
Avon
Fleet Captain
 
Avon's Avatar
 
Location: Space Wales
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

yeah you should totally add some blackface to this. and maybe a greedy jew too.
__________________

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 10:24 PM   #40
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

junxon wrote: View Post
yeah you should totally add some blackface to this. and maybe a greedy jew too.
Maybe a dumb blonde, a really smart Indian. Stuff like that would really class it up.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 10:24 PM   #41
Captain Atkin
Commander
 
Captain Atkin's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

Part of the joke of the film was the crew's claim that homosexuality had been eradictated by the 24th century, when obviously it hadn't been, as the running gag is that all of the bridge crew are in denial about their true sexuality. The only one who seems to be interested in women in the film is the robot.

Homosexuality was never addressed in 1980s TNG (in relation to human relationships), and I don't personally see anything wrong with poking fun at that, which is what this fan film seems to be doing.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 11:16 PM   #42
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
Part of the joke of the film was the crew's claim that homosexuality had been eradictated by the 24th century, when obviously it hadn't been, as the running gag is that all of the bridge crew are in denial about their true sexuality. The only one who seems to be interested in women in the film is the robot.

Homosexuality was never addressed in 1980s TNG (in relation to human relationships), and I don't personally see anything wrong with poking fun at that, which is what this fan film seems to be doing.
That's one thing. Doing it with a strong gay stereotype sort of ruins the message.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 11:34 PM   #43
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

Well, at least this stirred up some discussion. I like that.

I didn't find Troy offensive per se, but he was the only character who was trafficking in such a stereotype. If the point is to lampoon the lack of gays in Star Trek, that's a terrific idea, just the execution here makes it unclear who the joke is on.
__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 11:50 PM   #44
Captain Atkin
Commander
 
Captain Atkin's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
That's one thing. Doing it with a strong gay stereotype sort of ruins the message.
As I said before, comedy is subjective. When I watch "Troy" on screen, I see an exagerated woman. A caricature. To me, this is just a guy in drag performing on a stage. This is really no different than the type of performance you would find at a cabaret or drag show. The performance is meant to be "over the top".
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 11:57 PM   #45
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
That's one thing. Doing it with a strong gay stereotype sort of ruins the message.
As I said before, comedy is subjective. When I watch "Troy" on screen, I see an exagerated woman. A caricature. To me, this is just a guy in drag performing on a stage. This is no different than the type of performance you would find at a cabaret or drag show.
Except he's not dressed as a woman or made to look like a woman in any way, shape, or form and DOES act like every single gay stereotype there ever was right down to the pedo-stache.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.