Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old February 24 2013, 11:02 PM   #166
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Re: The bird is out: ENTERPRISE on blu-ray

Of course, it'll be interesting to see if CBS puts season 4 out in 1080i or 1080p. All the S4 live-action (except the opening to "In A Mirror Darkly, Part1" which was still shot on film) was shot on 1080i HD tape.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 11:11 PM   #167
ATimson
Rear Admiral

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
Of course, it'll be interesting to see if CBS puts season 4 out in 1080i or 1080p. All the S4 live-action (except the opening to "In A Mirror Darkly, Part1" which was still shot on film) was shot on 1080i HD tape.
Are you sure about that? I don't recall any "soap opera effect", which certainly would've been noticed if they shot 1080i instead of 1080p...

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 01:02 AM   #168
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

They fixed "soap opera" issue before putting it out. I remember there were numerous questions along those lines back in 2004 because of the switch to tape from film, plus I believe they even addressed the issue in the audio commentary for "In A Mirror Darkly, Part 1", where the commentators were talking about the switch back to film for the teaser so that the footage would match up with no problems.
Old February 25 2013, 01:26 AM   #169
ATimson
Rear Admiral

They fixed "soap opera" issue before putting it out.
Going back to StarTrek.com at the time, they said it was filmed using a "Sony 900" camera. That leads me to believe they're talking about the HDW-F900, which does support 1080i60, but also 1080p24, which would be compatible with their existing production process/footage. (This is the same camera used to film Attack of the Clones.)

Do you have any source saying that the footage was actually shot in 1080i60? Because everything I can find indicates they probably shot in 1080p24. (Before you cite Memory Alpha, their only source is the StarTrek.com article I linked above.)

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old February 25 2013, 03:01 AM   #170
tmosler
Lieutenant Commander

enterprise blu ray being done by tng remastering team

Hi I just have a quick question. I was wondering if the same team whos doing the tng remastering is doing the enterprise blu ray. the reason I ask is I dont want the tng remastering team to over extend themselves since there remastering tng.
tmosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 03:11 AM   #171
BruntFCA
Commander

Re: enterprise blu ray being done by tng remastering team

tmosler wrote: View Post
Hi I just have a quick question. I was wondering if the same team whos doing the tng remastering is doing the enterprise blu ray. the reason I ask is I dont want the tng remastering team to over extend themselves since there remastering tng.
ENT was shot in HD so it doesn't need remastering which is why it's being released before DS9 or VOY.
Old February 25 2013, 03:39 AM   #172
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

The HDW-F900 was produced with a maximum resolution of 1080i upto 2003, at which point an upgrade package was released which allows the camera to record 1080p at 30, 24 & 23.98 (a model that integrated this upgrade was released in 2006), but the tape that was used, HDCAM, could only store up to 1080i natively, with 1080p being stored in segmented sections. (HDCAM SR can store native 1080p, but according to all the sources this format was not used, except maybe in the editing bays.).

http://hd24.com/page6/page7/page50/page50.html

Plus many NLE editing suites at the time allowed for interlaced footage to be interpreted into progressive video.
Therefore, especially with the 1080p only being available via an upgrade (and even to rent it probably upped the cost tremendously) at the time of Enterprise, and with the tape format only being able to natively support 1080i, it is most likely that Enterprise Season 4 was shot in 1080i.

(Also I just watched Mirror part 1 where they shot on film and tape for the episode, and the main episode looks softer than the teaser. If you look at the people's outlines, the people in the teaser have sharper outlines, but then after the opening the outlines are soft.)
Old February 25 2013, 05:35 AM   #173
ATimson
Rear Admiral

The HDW-F900 was produced with a maximum resolution of 1080i upto 2003, at which point an upgrade package was released which allows the camera to record 1080p at 30, 24 & 23.98 (a model that integrated this upgrade was released in 2006), but the tape that was used, HDCAM, could only store up to 1080i natively, with 1080p being stored in segmented sections. (HDCAM SR can store native 1080p, but according to all the sources this format was not used, except maybe in the editing bays.).

http://hd24.com/page6/page7/page50/page50.html
I don't see on that page where it claims the 2003 upgrade was what allowed 1080p24 on the F900. It just mentions "a few minor upgrades with a major upgrade promising 1 stop extra dynamic range and reduced noise in the blacks."

More importantly, a 2003 upgrade would be over a year after Attack of the Clones was released (two-plus years after it was shot) in 1080p24 with that very camera. So something doesn't add up there...

Old February 25 2013, 02:34 PM   #174
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

But also the tape format, HDCAM, only records at a resolution of 1440 by 1080, compared to HDCAM SR that actually records a full 1920 by 1080 image. So, it would be better for the live action to have been shot at 1080i and then interpreted to 24p later.
Old February 25 2013, 07:59 PM   #175
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
Lots more coming tomorrow where we'll discuss the 720p vs 1080p VFX debate, audio commentaries, cast reunions and music from the show.
Part 2 of the interview with Roger Lay Jr., one of the Producers responsible for value added material for Enterprise on Blu ray.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/02/exc...rview-part-ii/

Interesting how quickly a release date was given. I guess if it wasn't for the team working on TNG championing a similar standard of contemporary extras, ENT would just have been HD episodes off the shelf and all the 2005 SD content ported across. So a lot of what might otherwise have been planned and scheduled to make Season 1, is to follow. He mentions an effort being made to reunite the cast and a wishlist of ideas for future seasons. The last one will be amazing all over again I'm sure... John Billingsley coming onboard for that... being filmed this week, along with Anthony Montgomery, Matt Winston and John Fleck. Jeffrey Combs for an audio commentary presumably.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; February 25 2013 at 08:27 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 08:13 PM   #176
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

^ It should be noted I did this interview a few weeks ago, so Montgomery, Winston & Fleck are already done by now!
Old February 25 2013, 08:32 PM   #177
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Yeah, well, I am an incredibly slow typer!

I hope they can get a HD version of the alternate title sequence together. That one startrek.com did, with the music normally on the end credits, plus Scott Bakula narrating "Space... the Final Frontier".

That would make a neat extra. Personally I think it's more beneficial as an opt in/out alternative angle feature, replacing "Faith of the Heart" across all episodes. Since DVDs and Blu rays can sometimes be enhanced by that kind of seamless branching. As TOS was with original & remastered FX choices.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; February 25 2013 at 08:43 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 12:59 AM   #178
RAMA
Vice Admiral

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
^ It should be noted I did this interview a few weeks ago, so Montgomery, Winston & Fleck are already done by now!

I already thought people were hard on Enterprise but the stuff Im seeing with the extras here, plus a lot of new people sampling it are starting realize my prediction that Enterprise will be more appreciated in the future.

RAMA

Last edited by RAMA; February 26 2013 at 04:33 AM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2013, 04:46 PM   #179
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Here's Part 3 folks! http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/02/exc...view-part-iii/

Here we discuss the missing episode trailers, the new "On the Set" feature (which sounds AMAZING), and the archiving of all of this wonderful material in the Paramount vaults.
Old February 26 2013, 07:13 PM   #180
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Thanks again. Lots of facinating stuff again there. It's nice to hear Star Trek has been a lot better sorted and stored away, than other TV shows these guys have put documentaries together for.

UPN trailers were hit and miss with me, but it's a shame they've found many are missing. I hope these Syndication promos made after the show was cancelled in 2005 for a selected repeat run (eventually replaced in the schedules by TOS-R), find their way onto Season 4 VAM package, since they're not at startrek.com any more.