RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,819
Currently online: 455
Newest member: Werner Bitterli

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old February 24 2013, 07:38 PM   #16
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: After Abrams

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Call me a populist, but when did we decide that STAR TREK is some sort of elitist thing that's too good for the hoi polloi?
Probably when "the masses" stole our lunch money when we were eleven years old, I'd say.
You're probably onto something there. I suspect that some of us still have an "Us" versus "Them" mentality dating back to grade school . . . but there's no reason STAR TREK has to be hobbled by our playground traumas.
Old February 24 2013, 07:40 PM   #17
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

but there's no reason STAR TREK has to be hobbled by our playground traumas.
No reason at all, you're right. If it's not fun, there's no point to it as far as I'm concerned, and the concept of "pure Trek" doesn't sound fun at all.
Old February 24 2013, 07:48 PM   #18
Relayer1
Commodore

I really can't see TNG or any of the other shows being retooled for the JJverse (or there being a market for such folly).

I doubt Pine and Quinto will carry on past movie 3 (except possibly in cameo's) so it's either knock it on the head and wave goodbye to all that income, or introduce some new characters and/or switch to T.V.

Captain Decker and Commander Ilia anyone ?
Old February 24 2013, 07:51 PM   #19
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Call me a populist, but when did we decide that STAR TREK is some sort of elitist thing that's too good for the hoi polloi?
Probably when "the masses" stole our lunch money when we were eleven years old, I'd say.
You're probably onto something there. I suspect that some of us still have an "Us" versus "Them" mentality dating back to grade school . . . but there's no reason STAR TREK has to be hobbled by our playground traumas.
That "the general audience (the masses) won't get it" thing comes straight from Abrams & Co. and nobody else. Blame them.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 08:03 PM   #20
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

For movies, Paramount would continue with the existing timeline and characters (to the extent possible) as long as they were making money, which they can for the forseeable future. Big budget fantasy movies do very well globally, especially with a big brand name attached, and that trend shows no signs of abating.

TV is an entirely different business. It's undergoing a big shift in basic assumptions, and CBS is paying attention. Having given up on sci fi for the last few years, they are experimenting with doing a co-production with Amazon this summer of Stephen King's Under the Dome - an expensive series with a big brand name attached that probablly could not hope to reach survival level ratings on CBS alone, but could cobble together enough profit with two revenue streams - ad-based traditional broadcast and subscription-based streaming.

Something like that could allow Star Trek to work financially as a series again. Initially the job will be to resurrect the franchise in this new format, so it wouldn't be wise to get too nichey with the premise. Just give us a starship and crew, going boldly, 23rd C, more serialized than TOS, but with much the same tone. We may not be able to tell which reality it takes place in, unless they can get one of the movie actors to make a cameo, which would be good for a PR boost.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 08:03 PM   #21
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
That "the general audience (the masses) won't get it" thing comes straight from Abrams & Co. and nobody else. Blame them.
Nah, I've been a Star Trek fan for decades and it's always been like that.
Old February 24 2013, 08:07 PM   #22
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Mirror Sulu wrote: View Post
Hypothetical situation; JJ Abrams' ST trilogy has ended. The plan is to go ahead with the new timeline, but only a few cast members agree to return. You're in charge, what do you do?
You recast them and just carry on making films.
This. I'm tired of the constant reboots. Why did Spider-Man, for example, need rebooted again? Sure, it's a different actor. Big deal. Same holds for post-Nolan Batman. We don't need to retell Batman's origin yet again, just because we get new actors. They didn't reboot Bond each time we got a new actor.

Good grief, we all know the origins. We don't need to go back to "Issue 0" every other year.
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 08:09 PM   #23
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

I'd personally like to see Bad Robot produced SPOCK movie starring Zachary Quinto and Zoe Saldana or a CAPTAIN KIRK movie starring Chris Pine with Karl Urban as his cantankerous sidekick. This is the first time we've had a group of Trek actors who can -and have- headlined their own films and I'd love it if they capitalized on that to build the Trek brand and further develop the characters.

But if they can't lure those guys back, another reboot would be fine.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 08:13 PM   #24
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

But that needless Spider-Man reboot made absurd amounts of money, one of the top money makers for the year, which just goes to show, the rationale behind it doesn't matter. What matters is color, action, fantasy.

Star Trek has that in spades, so you could reboot it again or just accept that the brand has been re-established beyond the need for any particular character (it's called Star Trek, not James T. Kirk) and use whatever characters make sense going forward.

A TV series starring one of the movie actors could work if split between streaming and CBS. Quinto does TV, so does Cho. What about Urban?
Old February 24 2013, 09:06 PM   #25
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Pure Trek is that which existed before Abrams.
Can you define what Pure Trek is?
Old February 24 2013, 09:13 PM   #26
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Let me guess... just the ones with Space Nazis in them!
Old February 24 2013, 09:21 PM   #27
heavy lids
Lieutenant Commander

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
Hah!
Old February 24 2013, 09:47 PM   #28
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

As per usual, you guys are quibbling over stuff nobody at Paramount or CBS would bother with for ten seconds - what is "pure" Trek, continuity, which reality anything is taking place in, or even realizing there's more than one reality to begin with.

Instead, the people in control see Star Trek as a product, which is easier or harder to turn into cold, hard cash than other products at their disposal that they could spend money and effort on instead. Star Trek the product has been shown to be a good product in the movie business, but not in the TV business (which for simplicity's sake I'll use to refer to streaming).

Imagine you work for CBS. Would you bother with Star Trek? Why? In what form? How can you convince your boss it's a better bet than yet another iteration of CSI?

For starters, I'll add a crucial factor I neglected before, that it helps a lot to have some high-profile industry person pushing for it. Abrams pushed for Star Trek for movies and we got movies. If Roberto Orci pushes for Star Trek for TV, we may get TV. But the likes of JMS or even Ron Moore are unlikely to be as influential since they are not associated with stunning recent success in the franchise. You know the mantra: What have you done for me lately?
Old February 25 2013, 01:16 AM   #29
Robert D. Robot
Captain

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
Both Ekosians AND Temporal Cold War Space Nazis?
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 01:27 AM   #30
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Robert D. Robot wrote: View Post
Both Ekosians AND Temporal Cold War Space Nazis?
Don't forget the Hirogen. Those guys spent an awfully long time on that one holodeck program.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote