RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,218
Posts: 5,405,158
Members: 24,761
Currently online: 529
Newest member: ultron2099

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 8 2013, 08:37 AM   #16
oswater
Ensign
 
Location: DFW
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

Maurice wrote: View Post
oswater wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Yeah.

You don't get a "next time," any more than I'd waste time on another Uwe Boll movie. That's the consequence of doing something really poorly.
Thanks for giving it a shot!
But considering Uwe Boll had directed dozens of movies and has made millions of dollars, it means your time isn't very valuable. So I guess my "consequence" is having to deal with you.
A gracious artist accepts that not everyone likes his or her work and doesn't feel the need to snipe the people who don't. Some people hate the music videos I've directed, and, you know what, that's fine. If they think my work isn't worth the time even after watching for 15 seconds, that's fine too.
Ultimately, you're right but the guy posted here to be mean spirited on purpose, so I felt it warranted a response.
I'd love to see your work, though. If you took the time to watch something of mine, I'd happily watch yours.

Samaritan wrote: View Post
I thought it was great!

ETA: Fun, kinda In Living Color(No Offense) but I enjoyed that show.
Thank you for watching, I really do appreciate it.
oswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 08:44 AM   #17
boobatuba
Rear Admiral
 
boobatuba's Avatar
 
Location: Stillwater, OK
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

oswater wrote: View Post
Ultimately, you're right but the guy posted here to be mean spirited on purpose, so I felt it warranted a response.
Well, when the guy who posted has written professionally-produced Star Trek, I think I might give his opinion a little more weight.

Kind of like how your gay writer is allowed to write an offensive gay slur.
__________________
Your benevolent dictator for life.
boobatuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 10:40 AM   #18
oswater
Ensign
 
Location: DFW
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

boobatuba wrote: View Post
oswater wrote: View Post
Ultimately, you're right but the guy posted here to be mean spirited on purpose, so I felt it warranted a response.
Well, when the guy who posted has written professionally-produced Star Trek, I think I might give his opinion a little more weight.

Kind of like how your gay writer is allowed to write an offensive gay slur.
Kind of like how one forum goer can call another one out for insulting a piece. It just works that way.
Professionally produced Star Trek doesn't deal in funny. So he can write circles around me all day long, doesn't mean he inherently knows anything about being funny.
Truth be told, nobody really does. You just gotta try it and see if people laugh. If they laugh, you did a great thing. If you don't, well, you get this thread.
oswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 02:30 PM   #19
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

I know better than to bother, but what the Hell...

I'm generally - almost universally - supportive of anyone who attempts to make a movie, because even in the absence of anything else it requires inventiveness and dogged determination to get it done and not a little bit of courage to exhibit it. As Sondheim is supposed to have observed, you get nothing by discouraging an artist. Most people improve if they stick with it.

I rarely say anything at all about humor and parody. For some reason, a lot of first efforts fall into these areas. Understandable, as everyone thinks they're funny; certainly we all amuse ourselves (who was the litigant in the 1950s obscenity case who quipped "no one can say we've lost the capacity to entertain ourselves as long as masturbation exists?") Sadly, comedy is difficult.

I broke my rule here because the writing in this thing is witless, unfunny and without real redeeming merit while managing to be broadly insulting. I don't concern myself so much with the feelings of the creator in this case because oswater's presentation has been so tone deaf, condescending and lacking in introspection or humility that I don't expect to penetrate his carefully constructed defensive shell in any event.

As for Troi...I got a laugh out of that character when he was Prince Precious in Flesh Gordon, but in those days I was usually drunk, stoned and stupid.

(I know, but it seemed only sporting to tee one up for oswater and friends. Have at it, kids.)

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; February 8 2013 at 03:58 PM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 02:58 PM   #20
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer
 
GSchnitzer's Avatar
 
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA, Terra
Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

We now seem to be steering into discussing the discussion.

Please be careful, folks.
__________________
Greg Schnitzer
Co-Executive Producer
Star Trek Phase II
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 07:18 PM   #21
Captain Atkin
Commander
 
Captain Atkin's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

Oswater: I see you don't have bbs messaging yet. Drop me a line tonight if you get a chance at jtatkin@hotmail.com. I have something to send you related to your film.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2013, 10:24 PM   #22
oswater
Ensign
 
Location: DFW
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
I know better than to bother, but what the Hell...

I'm generally - almost universally - supportive of anyone who attempts to make a movie, because even in the absence of anything else it requires inventiveness and dogged determination to get it done and not a little bit of courage to exhibit it. As Sondheim is supposed to have observed, you get nothing by discouraging an artist. Most people improve if they stick with it.

I rarely say anything at all about humor and parody. For some reason, a lot of first efforts fall into these areas. Understandable, as everyone thinks they're funny; certainly we all amuse ourselves (who was the litigant in the 1950s obscenity case who quipped "no one can say we've lost the capacity to entertain ourselves as long as masturbation exists?") Sadly, comedy is difficult.

I broke my rule here because the writing in this thing is witless, unfunny and without real redeeming merit while managing to be broadly insulting. I don't concern myself so much with the feelings of the creator in this case because oswater's presentation has been so tone deaf, condescending and lacking in introspection or humility that I don't expect to penetrate his carefully constructed defensive shell in any event.

As for Troi...I got a laugh out of that character when he was Prince Precious in Flesh Gordon, but in those days I was usually drunk, stoned and stupid.

(I know, but it seemed only sporting to tee one up for oswater and friends. Have at it, kids.)
Thanks for responding again. There is no "defensive shell" if you articulate your point like you just did. You can not like my movie, that's all well and good.
You understand that this is a thread to discuss my video. You originally came here to just insult it and me. So naturally, I insulted you back. You shouldn't come to a discussion and be offended when someone talks back.
Everything you said in the post above is fair. You think its masturbatory and unfunny. Great. That's a whole lot more to work with than just some smarmy comment about how I'll never waste your time again.
So thanks for the "tee up"? Tell the coach to bench me because your opinion isn't what matters. It was you originally being arrogant, rude and facetious. And *I* wasn't the only one to notice it either.

Oswater: I see you don't have bbs messaging yet. Drop me a line tonight if you get a chance at jtatkin@hotmail.com. I have something to send you related to your film.
Email sent! Thanks again.
oswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2013, 08:22 AM   #23
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

oswater wrote: View Post
Ultimately, you're right but the guy posted here to be mean spirited on purpose, so I felt it warranted a response.
I'd love to see your work, though. If you took the time to watch something of mine, I'd happily watch yours.
Sure, if you're interested. Here's a bunch of music videos I directed for The Kinsey Sicks over the past few years (it takes a few moments for all the thumbnails to load):

The Official GOP Economic Platform as sung by the Kinsey Sicks



I Will Watch YouTube (Every Breath You Take parody)



Things You Shouldn't Say



Touch-A Touch Me, TSA Security



Twisted Christmas Parodies Medley
(the last song is really nasty)



Bedroom Ants (Lady Gaga parody)



BP is Creepy (about British Petrolum)


__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 08:26 AM   #24
oswater
Ensign
 
Location: DFW
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

I've never heard of this group before. This is some funny stuff.
So are you a part of the act or were you just involved in the music videos?
Either way, funny act and your production is slick.
oswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2013, 09:19 AM   #25
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

oswater wrote: View Post
I've never heard of this group before. This is some funny stuff.
So are you a part of the act or were you just involved in the music videos?
Either way, funny act and your production is slick.
This year is the group's 20th anniversary. There are two feature films about them (a concert film titled "I Wanna Be a Republican" (trailer) and a documentary titled "Almost Infamous").

I'm not a singer. I became familiar with the group because an actor who appears in three of my short films once performed with "Trixie" of the Kinseys, so we got to know each other that way. I went to help them shoot "Bedroom Ants" and ended up being their regular video director.

Thanks for the compliment about the production. I've learned to be a very fast filmmaker from having worked in five 48 Hour Film Project contests and from doing these videos, most of which are shot in one day. Doing stuff like that teaches you how to think on your feet. I generally err on the side of getting the best performances and a lot of coverage over technical perfection and complex camera work, because the more choices you have in editing the better.
__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; February 10 2013 at 09:43 AM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 05:34 AM   #26
oswater
Ensign
 
Location: DFW
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

Hey everyone! I have a little update for y'all.
Thanks to the help of a very kind man who prefers to stay anonymous: We have re-released a new cut of the episode "Encounter at Candilandia"
NEW music!
MODERN effects!
SLIGHTLY ALTERED footage!
Hope y'all check out the new cut, it addresses a lot of technical problems people had with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jydQRvd8QVs

Let me know what y'all think! Hope you like it!
oswater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 08:58 AM   #27
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

No thanks. 5 seconds of the original was enough.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 03:42 PM   #28
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

Is it because the movie is designed with a Vaudevillian style?
Is it because the characters discuss things like sex, desire and attraction?
Is it because Troy, a male playing a female character, is feminine?
Or is it because of the 'curing homosexuality' joke in the first act?

Either way you slice it, only one of the characters is written as a homosexual.
I haven't been in this thread since the first time around, so here goes...

If Troy is supposed to be female then it was sold all wrong. (The mustache and lack of any real female features being key) Also the character very much acts like every, single, gay stereotype that has ever existed. So with THAT it's hard to not see the character as a gay man but as a woman. It was supposed to be a gay stereotype, not a female character, and you know it.

Sorry I find it offensive. And I say that as a straight man.
__________________
Out of hope.

Last edited by Trekker4747; February 24 2013 at 03:53 PM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 06:01 PM   #29
Captain Atkin
Commander
 
Captain Atkin's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

"Star Trip: The ...What? Generation" isn't for everyone. Of course, neither was "Flesh Gordon", and that film still has a lot of fans. What is funny to one person can at the same time be wholly unfunny to the next. Humour is subjective. What makes a person laugh depends on personal taste.

Last edited by Captain Atkin; February 24 2013 at 06:11 PM.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 06:45 PM   #30
boobatuba
Rear Admiral
 
boobatuba's Avatar
 
Location: Stillwater, OK
Re: Star Trip: The ...What? Generation

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
Of course, neither was "Flesh Gordon", and that film still has a lot of fans.
Appeal to popularity fallacy. Lots of people think homosexuals will and should be tortured for eternity in a lake of fire, too...doesn't make that point of view any less evil.
__________________
Your benevolent dictator for life.
boobatuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.