Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

View Poll Results: Do you like the Earth Department of Citizen Services?
Yes 3 27.27%
No 7 63.64%
Not sure 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 22 2013, 04:40 AM   #16
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: The beginning

teacake wrote: View Post
Well if you get this thing off the ground I'm going to the Outer Rim and staying off the grid.
I'll go with you. His "registering for citizenship" sounds a little too Orwellian for me. Many tyrannical empires began with requirements for citizenship. Citizenship should be automatic for all natives of a planet, especially Earth.
Old February 22 2013, 05:03 AM   #17
mcmasterp
Ensign

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Well if you get this thing off the ground I'm going to the Outer Rim and staying off the grid.
I'll go with you. His "registering for citizenship" sounds a little too Orwellian for me. Many tyrannical empires began with requirements for citizenship. Citizenship should be automatic for all natives of a planet, especially Earth.

We don't mean to suggest that you are required to register in order to BE a global citizen, it would just help for the mundane clerical aspects of citizenship. Picture your in customs on Rigal3, sure you can just SAY your a human but having an place on earth to verify that with is so much more practical.

The intersate highway system probably seemed just as stupid when they were laying that first mile of road.
mcmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 05:14 AM   #18
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

^When we start interplanetary commerce and travel, then I'll go register.
Old February 22 2013, 05:16 AM   #19
mcmasterp
Ensign

fair enough. I know we'll get there one day
mcmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 05:17 AM   #20
CorporalClegg
Admiral

This.

mcmasterp wrote: View Post
The intersate highway system probably seemed just as stupid when they were laying that first mile of road.
The Interstate highway system is still stupid.
Old February 22 2013, 05:39 AM   #21
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
This.

The Interstate highway system is still stupid.
I remember traveling across the country on Route 66 as a child. Pixar's Cars is my all-time favorite movie for its love of The Mother Road. My favorite line, "People didn't travel to make good time. They traveled to have a good time."
Old February 22 2013, 10:51 AM   #22
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Essentially, I would fully support the attitude that we are one people. One who is many. [...]
I am not, however, convinced that a world government as most people propose it will be anything other than tyrannical, if not initially then inevitably in time, [...] through a combination of fear and simple psychological blindness. [...]
So many times I've seen it: people associate with a certain government, nation, religion, creed, ideology, political party, etc and become blind to its failings and abuses while condemning such elsewhere. Hypocrisy. Double-think.
That sums up my concerns as well. Inevitably certain nations with a high missionary-factor would try to tidy up the world according to their own values and believes (as they are already doing). As more tolerant nations are usually very peaceful ones, the likelyhood of intolerant warmongers and interferers becoming the leaders is almost 100%. Not a world I'd like to live in.
As for myself - and, I daresay for many of my fellow posters here - we already consider ourselves world citizens. Practically everyone here has friends abroad. We have discussions about cultural differences and mostly we accept the fact that we disagree. Usually we even disagree in a peaceful way.

Maybe what the world needs is more message boards (preferably ad-free ones, though)
Old February 22 2013, 10:54 AM   #23
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

mundane clerical aspects of citizenship.
Riiiiiight. Just sign here, it's nothing, just some paperwork..

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 02:37 PM   #24
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'll go with you.
Make that three.
Old February 24 2013, 07:35 AM   #25
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I think the best steps we can take to creating a Trek-like planetary Utopia are to reduce world population as rapidly as we can while still acting peacefully and humanely - namely, by helping women everywhere get easy and affordable/free access to birth control.

It may not be a particularly glamorous effort, and even if the species-wide reproduction rate fell to below the replenishing rate tomorrow, it'd still take decades, maybe centuries, to arrive at an ideal total world population, but it's the best idea I've heard so far.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 01:07 PM   #26
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Gaith wrote: View Post
I think the best steps we can take to creating a Trek-like planetary Utopia are to reduce world population as rapidly as we can while still acting peacefully and humanely - namely, by helping women everywhere get easy and affordable/free access to birth control.

It may not be a particularly glamorous effort, and even if the species-wide reproduction rate fell to below the replenishing rate tomorrow, it'd still take decades, maybe centuries, to arrive at an ideal total world population, but it's the best idea I've heard so far.
Its definitely a big piece of the puzzle.
Old February 24 2013, 06:09 PM   #27
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

I think a global government is a great start
One of the negatives to a single global government is that under our current ~200 nations, if a handful (or more) becomes abusive, it doesn't effect the entire Human species.

If you have a single government and it goes "bad," the populace has no recourse.

Also under the current model, there is the possibility of changing countries, migrating to one that is hopefully different/better than the one you find yourself in.

When you look at the world over the last half century mcmasterp, the trend is gradually towards having more nations, and not congregating into one "super nation."

Gaith wrote: View Post
women everywhere get easy and affordable/free access to birth control
If you consider the cost of a woman's contraception over the course of her life, verse the one time cost of a vasectomy, there is a better option Gaith.

Last edited by T'Girl; February 24 2013 at 06:19 PM.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 06:33 PM   #28
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

Ulva wrote: View Post
Don't let people tear you down. We need more people who believe it's possible to build a better future, not less.
I second this.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 08:43 PM   #29
Candlelight
Admiral

So you consider Facebook to be a tyrannical empire then?
Old February 25 2013, 08:59 PM   #30
RoJoHen
Awesome

Last I checked, people weren't born into Facebook.