RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 427
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 24 2013, 11:15 AM   #31
Ulva
Vice Admiral

Re: Early Evidence That You Were A Nerd

Rhaven wrote: View Post
Knowing all the names of the constilations visible in the night sky at the age of 6.
This. My dad dragged me outside with a telescope and got me interested in what was out there. I dreamed of becoming an astronaut - until it was discovered that I needed glasses. All I could think of at the optician was how my future carreer were in tatters.
Old February 25 2013, 02:05 AM   #32
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

My mom likes the tell the story of when I was 5 years old and asked her why, if we were capable of cloning, we couldn't have Star Trek style replicators. I think that was probably a pretty solid early sign of the nerdiness to come. Earlier than that maybe it was my obsession with bridges -- when I was two I was practically inseparable from a little black and white book of bridge blueprints I'd gotten for my second birthday. I am still quite fond of them, especially suspension bridges:

Ain't she just beautiful?!

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 02:15 AM   #33
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Gotta agree, that's a nice looking bridge there. You must be on cloud nine walking over the bridges in NY then, huh?
Old February 25 2013, 02:21 AM   #34
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^It's why I do it every day! I don't know why I'm so obsessed with them. I've had the same weird fondness for dirigibles since childhood too...

View my art!
Old February 25 2013, 02:29 AM   #35
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

I'm not a nerd.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 02:32 AM   #36
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

I'm fascinated by buildings in general. I've gotten to see some interesting old building techniques in my job, but mostly I find the big projects the most interesting. Empire State Building is a given. I guess I'm facnitaed both by the thought it goes into making both the structure and the technology to make it possible to build it.

Like for example, I saw a documentary the other year about the World Trade Center, and a big part of that was what made that structure unique. That the characteristic outer beams is what held it up. Something that led to it's ultimate downfall unfortunately.

Also an extention is this are cathedrals. I don't admire what they stand for in their connection to religion, but as works of engineering they are fascinating. My favorite in Sweden is Uppsala New Judge-Church, built originally in the 1500s, but restored in the 1800s. It is exactly 118m meters tall and long. And a fantastic building. Just awe inspiring.
Old February 25 2013, 02:35 AM   #37
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Have you ever read The Pillars of the Earth? If you're interested in cathedrals you'd probably really enjoy it!

View my art!
Old February 25 2013, 02:38 AM   #38
Emher
Admiral

I have not, I must add it to my list!

Also regarding cathedrals, I must go to Paris and Notre Dame at some point. Seems so awesome.
Old February 25 2013, 02:40 AM   #39
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

It's funny looking back there were tons on signs but I can't remember when it really hit me that I was different. Probably around 13 I started not to fit in well and started feeling really shy and awkward. Around 10 I put on a lot of weight (despite being pretty active) that never left which certainly helped to exacerbate everything.

As to early signs, I watched all the superheroes and science fiction of the day. People talk about all the superhero movies these days but I had live action Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Superman, Hulk, Shazam and Isis, Six Million Dollar Man (and his Woman). Had Star Trek, Star Wars, Flash Gordon, Land of the Lost and Battle of the Planets and Star Blazers. Not to mention King Kong, Dracula, Godzilla and more. I can remember drooling over 4K computers in the back of Radio Shack catalogs and my second-grade teacher inviting me to play some artillery game on a TRS-80. And all this before I was 8.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 02:41 AM   #40
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Emher wrote: View Post
I have not, I must add it to my list!

Also regarding cathedrals, I must go to Paris and Notre Dame at some point. Seems so awesome.
It's very good. A nice, meaty bit of period fiction about politics and religion and daily life a thousand years ago, but throughout are detailed explanations and analyses of how cathedrals were built, how the styles evolved and spread from nation to nation, the technical aspects as well as the cultural. Plus, there is a great yet subtle twist at the end -- not a twist of plot so much as a twist of morality, where you get to literally the last sentence and think, "Fuck me! How'd he get me to think that this whole time?!"

View my art!
Old February 25 2013, 02:43 AM   #41
Emher
Admiral

Sounds excellent! It's the one by Ken Follett, right? Think I found it on my usual online book shop.
Old February 25 2013, 02:47 AM   #42
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Yep! It was one that I first read at an inappropriately young age (like Kestra reading through her house), because both my parents really enjoyed it, so we had two copies lying around. I reread it again a couple years ago, though, and enjoyed it a lot now that I am old enough to understand it!

View my art!
Old February 25 2013, 02:51 AM   #43
Emher
Admiral

Well I read Jurassic Park which had disembowelment and stuff at age nine

Anyway, ordered it now! Is it healthy that I giggled when I saw that it was 900+ pages?

Also, am I a deeply disturbed man for preferring paperback versions of books? It just sort of started with me buying Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan books in paperback back in the day and it just sort of kept going.
Old February 25 2013, 02:56 AM   #44
Gaseous Anomaly
Wacked out trippin dude™

I guess it was 4th grade when I wanted a chemistry set for Christmas, I was just thinking it would be cool to blow stuff up. I still blow stuff up, but now the booms are much larger and cost more money.

Gaseous Anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 02:57 AM   #45
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^I think my worst underage reading incident was when I was 11 and read half of Naked Lunch. I got to a scene where someone was injecting herion through a wound in their leg and was like, wait, I'm eleven...I think I'll put this down and rearrange my stuffed animals instead...

View my art!