RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 488
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 21 2013, 06:31 PM   #16
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Re: Si I finally saw Moulin Rouge!

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
auntiehill wrote: View Post
I hated Moulin Rouge. I thought it was the stupidest thing ever. It had all those great actors and lavish sets and yet was nothing more than two hours of vacuous crap.

I don't understand its popularity at all.
Guilty pleasure, least for me. I just love the look and the feel of the world. I will grant ya' the story is a bit on the light side and doesn't take a lot of investment from the watcher.

A really funny and pretty dead on review by the Nostalgia Critic in regards to Moulin Rouge.
Yeah, the Critic pretty much summed up my thoughts as well. Thin story, iffy moments? Sure. Engrossing as hell, fun to watch, glorious music? Oh yes. Total guilty pleasure, but Baz just nailed it.
Old February 21 2013, 06:36 PM   #17
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Moulin Rouge is both one of my wife's and mine favorite film. In fact we love it so much that the song Come What May was our first dance wedding song. I can understand it isn't everyones cup of tea, something like this can polarizing.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 05:41 AM   #18
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I brought it home thinking it was something the wife would like. She bailed after 20 minutes, but I really liked it.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 08:56 AM   #19
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

^

I so want to make a prostitute joke, but I just can't...
Old February 22 2013, 10:00 AM   #20
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

auntiehill wrote: View Post
I hated Moulin Rouge. I thought it was the stupidest thing ever. It had all those great actors and lavish sets and yet was nothing more than two hours of vacuous crap.

I don't understand its popularity at all.
From reading this thread, you'd think it's a Marmite film - you either love it or hate it. I'd like to go on record saying it was OK. Enjoyable but not great and with quite a few flaws.
Old February 23 2013, 07:50 PM   #21
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I loved it, myself. My parents didn't get it at all. And it's what probably put me over the top having a crush on Ewan MacGregor.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 09:23 PM   #22
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I guess I don't understand a musical.

With most film genres, even ones I don't like, I can kind of at least attempt top appreciate what is happening based all of the things that make most types of films, regardless of the genre, work. Things like, tension, suspense, humor, what's important to character, how a screenplay is constructed, and how various aspects lead to various payoffs. But, in musicals, there is so much gimmickry, so much distraction, and in the case of this film, the characters are singing about everything, and these songs can't possibly exist in the same time frame and dramatic word as the rest of events, because once a song starts, I become disconnected from the material.

Compare to my favorite musical: Oliver! The songs are memorable, and the story is fantastic, and the songs tend to accentuate the narrative and build character. They never bring the narrative to halt. Same with most Disney films. But Moulin Rouge has no tension, no reason to be hooked, and the songs - as well as the visuals that accompany them - are distracting. And just because the songs are differently arranged than when we've heard them before still doesn't make them sound new or original.
Old February 23 2013, 09:40 PM   #23
the G-man
Commodore

My wife and daughters love this movie. I can appreciate the design, some of the music and Nicole Kidman (singing, acting and looks). I have to admit, however, when I first saw it in the theater, for the first fifteen minutes or so, my reaction was pretty much
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 07:27 AM   #24
T.Geiger
Lieutenant Commander

I only own two musicals, and the other is 1776.

Everything about Moulin Rouge is intentional (including Leguizamo's varying height). Its entirely spectacle with virtually no substance. And it is fantastic!
T.Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 05:55 PM   #25
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I have never seen Moulin Rouge although I totally love Luhrmann's version of Romeo + Juliet. But that's because I love putting Shakespeare in a modern setting, it really has nothing to do with the person who made the film.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 06:36 PM   #26
the G-man
Commodore

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I have never seen Moulin Rouge although I totally love Luhrmann's version of Romeo + Juliet. But that's because I love putting Shakespeare in a modern setting, it really has nothing to do with the person who made the film.
It wasn't exactly a "modern" setting, but have you ever seen McKellan's "Richard III"? I enjoyed that one quite a bit.
Old February 24 2013, 07:51 PM   #27
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Yep, I also have that one as well. I love the bit where Richard's jeep is stuck in the mud and that's the reason for his "My kingdom for a horse" line.

Now I'm waiting for Titus to come to Blu-Ray. That one freely mixes anachronisms from a dozen different time periods!
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 07:57 PM   #28
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Baz Luhrman movies are over the top spectacles, movie length music videos full of grand emotions and themes.

As with many things you simply have to like his style.. many people dislike Tarantino movies (i adore them) because it's not up to their taste. That's fine but at least Luhrman has a distinctive style and goes outside the standard Hollywood formula once in a while.

I really liked Romeo + Juliet with a young DiCaprio and Danes or Strictly Ballroom which also had some outrageous characters. Moulin Rouge, when i saw it at a friends place, instantly rocked to the top of my charts because i'm a sucker for good cover versions of songs i like and i was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the actor's singing.

The tango scene to Police's Roxanne has got to be one of the best covers i ever saw and the dancing of Tango (real argentinian Tango and not the ballroom crap) just made it perfect.. or one of my Queen favorites "The Show must go on" (written by Freddy at the height of his AIDS sickness shortly before he died).

Simply put.. it's one of my favorite movie musicals.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 08:57 PM   #29
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

It's actually been at least 11 years since I've seen it. But my sister's old VHS copy is right by the VCR, so I've been meaning to give it another watch recently. (I'm finding that Nicole Kidman is one of those actresses that I find more attractive the older I get.)

Overall, I remember liking it a lot. "Mawkish" is probably the right word to describe the story. And I'm not a huge fan of all of the songs they used. But I do enjoy the pacing of the film. The style works just right. The production numbers are all flawlessly executed. And Kidman, McGregor, & Leguizamo are all such great actors that they can pretty much sell anything. Truth the told, I was 100% sold on the film the moment Leguizamo first enters.

I'm less enthused with some of Luhrman's other work. Australia was too long & too dull. Romeo + Juliet went too far with its stylization.

Actually, come to think of it, I think Moulin Rouge may be the last time I liked Nicole Kidman in anything. She's seemed a bit dull & lifeless in some of her more recent leading roles, like Australia, Birth, & The Invasion. And she's a bit too cold & arch when playing villains in movies like The Golden Compass. I guess she was OK in Nine (the most underrated musical of the last decade).
Old February 24 2013, 09:37 PM   #30
the G-man
Commodore

My favorite Kidman roles are where she's a villain, such as To Die for and