Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old February 21 2013, 05:12 PM   #3226
Rocketeer
Captain

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

I bought my lifetime membership when they were selling for $199. If they ever drop to that price again, I suggest you consider. I have 5 characters on the account and my daughter has 3. (She also has her own account, but likes mine because I have a lot of the special uniforms and ships.) If the game is somehow still running when I kick the bucket, she has the passwords so can keep going. :-)

Having a lifetime membership is actually less stress. You play as much or as less as you want. Your stipend builds up over time and you can buy things things without expending any real cash.
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 06:34 PM   #3227
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Rocketeer wrote: View Post
Having a lifetime membership is actually less stress. You play as much or as less as you want.
That was the main reason I got it back when the game launched.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 06:53 PM   #3228
Scout101
Admiral

That was the reason i bought back when it wasn't F2P. Anxious when not playing, as i was paying and not using it. Once i went lifetime, it's just play when you want, and no biggie ifyou take off for a week or two.

But it's F2P now, and if you ever subscribed, you basically have all the goodies already anyway minus the 500 Zen/month, so not sure why you'd pay $200+ more. Why not just 'mentally' spend the money, and buy something you want now and then out of that pool? You'd have to get a LOT of benefits to validate buying the LTS now, probably more straight-forward to just buy some of the Zen when you need it and can't farm DIL for it. You'll likely come out ahead.

Putting that kind of money into it also gambles that the game is going to be around and supported for quite a while longer. Not to say it isn't, but wasn't the break-even point close to 2 years to make the purchase make sense? It's been around for 3, and had some rough patches getting there. Feel it'll still be going strong (and worth playing) in two more?
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 06:57 PM   #3229
Capn Flukie
Fleet Admiral

View Capn Flukie's Twitter Profile

Looks like out in the Midwest, "Q's Winter Wonderland" is becoming a reality.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0....html?ir=Green
Old February 21 2013, 09:36 PM   #3230
Trek
Fleet Captain

Scout101 wrote: View Post
That was the reason i bought back when it wasn't F2P. Anxious when not playing, as i was paying and not using it. Once i went lifetime, it's just play when you want, and no biggie ifyou take off for a week or two.

But it's F2P now, and if you ever subscribed, you basically have all the goodies already anyway minus the 500 Zen/month, so not sure why you'd pay $200+ more. Why not just 'mentally' spend the money, and buy something you want now and then out of that pool? You'd have to get a LOT of benefits to validate buying the LTS now, probably more straight-forward to just buy some of the Zen when you need it and can't farm DIL for it. You'll likely come out ahead.

Putting that kind of money into it also gambles that the game is going to be around and supported for quite a while longer. Not to say it isn't, but wasn't the break-even point close to 2 years to make the purchase make sense? It's been around for 3, and had some rough patches getting there. Feel it'll still be going strong (and worth playing) in two more?
That's the thing. I only need to subscribe for 8 months to get the full set of current veteran rewards. That's about £80.

If the LTS is on offer that will close the gap between the two costs and might make it worth it.
Twitter: @Trek88
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 10:15 AM   #3231
Rocketeer
Captain

The decision to go LTS is different for each person. My interest in the game is largely due to my love of trek. Plus I happened to have some spare change in my pocket at the right moment.

Lifetime subscription in general (not just related to STO) are often in favor of the customer and bad for the company in the long run. So when you have a chance to get in on anything with a lifetime subscription, if it's something that truly important to you, go for it.
Old February 22 2013, 11:30 AM   #3232
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

I can confidently say that barring some sudden event that causes Star Trek to be unpopular as a franchise, Star Trek Online will be around for at least another 4 to 5 years. So if you play MMOs and are a life long trek fan, which is very likely if you're visiting this forum, then a lifetime subscription is almost a no-brainer.
Old February 23 2013, 05:10 AM   #3233
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

How do I get a peregrine fighter?

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 05:25 AM   #3234
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Never mind. I just figured it out.

Old February 24 2013, 06:13 AM   #3235
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Also, is there any way to select a "non-human" color for a human character, such as green or blue?

Old February 24 2013, 07:30 AM   #3236
TheRoyalFamily
Commodore

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
Also, is there any way to select a "non-human" color for a human character, such as green or blue?
Nope. If you want a blue human you have to pick an Alien. Same thing if you want a super-tall or super-short character.

Of course, you lose the Leadership and Teamwork traits. If you don't care about that, go Alien, and just write in "Human" in your bio
Old February 24 2013, 06:35 PM   #3237
Rocketeer
Captain

Yep, you can actually make a better looking Human using the Alien template.

Look at the picture of Kaylee that I posted last week. I'm pretty sure she's an alien.
Old March 1 2013, 06:15 PM   #3238
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

So am I the only one who plays ST:O with the first 10 movie soundtracks on shuffle?

I am the Nerdmaster 3000.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2013, 05:09 PM   #3239
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

The only reason I don't do that with the music is because I turn off all the sound so I don't disturb the family while they watch TV.
But God knows I've thought about it a lot!

Old March 2 2013, 07:40 PM   #3240
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

Oh man, they fixed a very handy bug...you can no longer access the Sell tab in the dilithium store. That thing gave 50% value and meant being able to clean out your inventory of stuff you didn't want and get the best value for it--without having to beam down to a vendor on DS9 or New Romulus. Oh well!
Ruaidhri is offline   Reply With Quote