Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 23 2013, 10:29 PM   #16
Ulva
Vice Admiral

Re: What Are You Working On (And How Are You Getting There)?

Overall goal: get a job that fits with my education. Not especially easy. I have made a very good impression on some important people, but they are dependent on funds from the municipality which means they have to argue to get even a project on the road. We'll see. I keep smiling their way anyway.

Right now: Fanfiction. I write out of order, I have realised over time. I can jump in and start with a scene in the middle, move to the a chapter in to the story, then back towards the end and back to the middle... And I also get the action down first, like important events and conversation, and then I go back and fill in the details and create the backdrop.

I really shouldn't write fanfiction but concentrate on the "real" story I have started to make an outline to. Alas! It's hard. It's a baby, a darling, the hardest thing to write.
Old February 23 2013, 10:49 PM   #17
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

My immediate goals are to be physically well and to tackle the mess in my study (both its appearance and a lot of paperwork that needs to be done). The long medical saga appears to be winding down, finally. As for my study... well, so far I've installed TurboTax on the computer. That's about it.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Here are the teams I've already visited: Orioles, Yankees*, Red Sox, Rays, White Sox, Royals, Twins*, Braves, Marlins, Mets*, Phillies, Nationals, Cubs, Cardinals*

*this means I've seen the old stadium where they used to play, and the one they're at now. Meaning: both old and new Yankee Stadium; Busch Stadium II and III in St. Louis; Shea Stadium and Citi Field for the Mets; and the Metrodome and Target Field for the Twins
Maybe the Orioles deserve an asterisk, too? You visited the site where Memorial Stadium used to be.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 10:59 PM   #18
Santaman
Rear Admiral

Building a computer from loads of old and a few new bits.
so far:
Old, cheap and not too sturdy metallic grey X-Gear casing, I didn't dare to use the powersuply that came with it, used a Be Quiet! 350 watt PSU instead.
The casing has a removable filter for the intake fan, quite the works for a casing that cheap..
New socket 939 board from Asrock 785 chipset so it has a Radeon 4000 series GPU on board, 1.5Gb in old DDR-1 400 RAM
Old, very old AMD Athlon64 3500+ chip 2.2Ghz, of course its single core, Arctic Freezer64 CPU cooler, one 120x120mm fan front intake, two glaring red led Revoltec 80x80mm fans exhaust fans.
Found a rather old DVD writer and yes I build in a floppy drive... no HDD yet but I've tested it with a Linux Mint13 64 bit live CD.
I might buy a HDD or just install Linux on a USB stick, we'll see.
Old February 23 2013, 11:27 PM   #19
CorporalClegg
Admiral

It's kind of depressing that MLB has been to Target Field and I haven't.

Ulva wrote: View Post
I keep smiling their way anyway.
If you got it, flaunt it.
Old February 24 2013, 12:21 AM   #20
Kestra
Vice Admiral

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
On longer term things I'd like to finish my re-doing of the kitchen and get started with the living room and on an even longer term I would like to get rid of all the junk that's accumulated in the cellar.
What are you redoing in the kitchen?

wissaboo wrote: View Post
Passed both exams and am now learning my way around the office.
That's fantastic! It sounds like it's been a bit of a journey, but congrats on getting there!

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
2013: the year of making me happy
I like this.

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
My immediate goals are to be physically well and to tackle the mess in my study (both its appearance and a lot of paperwork that needs to be done). The long medical saga appears to be winding down, finally.
I like this too. Wishing you good health.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 12:24 AM   #21
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I've been working on getting a full time job for a long time now. In the Short term, I'm doing a few projects for my Dad and will be doing my Taxes in a few weeks.
Old February 24 2013, 12:32 AM   #22
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

I'm working a big site that will give chronological reading lists for all the Star Trek novel series, both those based on the shows and those Lit-only series, which are in any way connected to Pocket Book's 'Star Trek Lit-verse.' There will be a few other smaller projects on the site. I've been working on it slowly for a couple years, but real life keeps getting in the way. I've resolved to finish it for sure this year, but I think the actual publication date will be just a few months away. That's what I've been doing most of this afternoon.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 02:02 AM   #23
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Maybe the Orioles deserve an asterisk, too? You visited the site where Memorial Stadium used to be.
true dat, but I never got the chance to see the actual stadium itself...although you have.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 02:11 AM   #24
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

a few things, I'm working on getting my BSEE but that's a few years and a lot of class hours away, something more short terms is that I'm writing some erotic slash fic for an art commission, and I'm working on building a Remington 700.
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 02:12 AM   #25
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
true dat, but I never got the chance to see the actual stadium itself...although you have.
The Orioles need an asterisk, but for other reasons...
Old February 24 2013, 02:42 AM   #26
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Sigokat wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
I'm in the middle of writing another fanfiction. It's the third one in the series. I'm hoping to use the feedback I get from each story to help me hone my skills before I finally step over to my project and write my novel. I've already written two novel length fanfics, and this one will be the last one before I begin. The novel won't be related to the fanfics in any way, those are simply practice and a desire to tell a story using familiar settings.
What are your fanfics about and are they posted on the internet?
They are "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" fan fictions, and yes they are. If you're interested, the link to all of them are here: http://www.fimfiction.net/user/TheLotusTeaDragon

Just scroll down and they're on the right hand side if you're interested. If not, I understand.

I've written some fanfics as well and have some that are incomplete, but its hard fo rme to write now because I can't do it at work on the computer and all I have out here with me (I'm in the Army and deployed) is my new sony tablet and I don't know any good android apps that are like Word.

I would like to finish at least one of them though while I"m here if I can.
The only one offhand I can think of that's decent is Freenote:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...e=related_apps

It's free, and has a decent number of writing tools.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 02:49 AM   #27
CorporalClegg
Admiral

There are always those newfangled pencil things.
Old February 24 2013, 12:59 PM   #28
Australis
Writer

I found an old novel that I was working on a couple of years ago that has potential, so I'm doing extra research for it (heavy on the research). Also a movie script idea I've had kicking round for a while. Which is why I won't be around so much for a while.

Fanfics. I have a couple up on fanfiction.net, Discworld ones. Turned out pretty well.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 01:45 PM   #29
Pingfah
Admiral

My flat is in pieces right now because I am totally remodelling it. I have filled in one bedroom door and made a new entrance in a different wall, and I am putting in French doors to let much more light into the room. That has been a nightmare as the walls were wood lath and plaster, covered by another drywall wall that had been built over the top. Ended up with about 40 bags of rubble for a 1.5 x 2.5 metre hole.

I also have my kitchen and lounge floor up as I am tiling the kitchen floor and putting down a wooden floor in the lounge.

Once the new black tiled kitchen floor is in I am putting in new units that are gloss white, a new sink, a new monobloc tap and a new worktop, and moving the oven across the room which has necessitated cutting a channel through the stone floor for the electric supply.

This is all to meet a summer deadline, as I am renting this place to friends and moving away for a while

Also, somebody just gave me my first games console, a hand-me-down Xbox 360, so I am working on playing my first computer game in 20 years. Mass Effect.
Old February 24 2013, 01:53 PM   #30
Kestra
Vice Admiral

That sounds intense. Are you moving far/for long?

Also I'd like to encourage people to engage with each other more in this thread!
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote