TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 23 2013, 04:23 PM   #1831
Fer
Commander

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I finished Star Wars: Scoundrels yesterday. Enjoyable, but not exactly a page turner, which was a first for me for Timothy Zahn. It did have a few great scenes, though.

Today I'll be reading the new 50th anniversary Doctor Who eBook The Nameless City by Michael Scott. After that I'll be jumping in to Timothy Zahn's next Star Wars novel (chronologically), Allegiance.
Old February 23 2013, 05:39 PM   #1832
Reanok
Commodore

I started reading Brinkmanship . I finally found this book at Barnes and Noble. I've only read 5 chapters so far but like others have mentioned this book about the Tzenhethi and the Ventahara's are definitely to lying Picard and the other diplomats about theirso called peaceful motives.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 08:03 PM   #1833
kirk55555
Commodore

Fer wrote: View Post
I finished Star Wars: Scoundrels yesterday. Enjoyable, but not exactly a page turner, which was a first for me for Timothy Zahn. It did have a few great scenes, though.
I just finished it today. I'm a HUGE fan of zahn's SW stuff (I really enjoy every SW thing he's written) and I really liked it. Its probably my least favorite of his books, but since his other stuff is so good, thats not an insult.

I've started Star Trek Voyager - The Black Shore. Its an old Voyager novel (in the numbered series, I think its #13). Its early VOY (which isn't surprising or anything, since its an old book and seems to take place probably in season 2) so of course we have Neelix being a s%&thead (I've watched way too many of SFDebris's videos ) references to Janeway's horrible holonovel subplot, and The Doctor not getting the respect he deserves. That said, its not a bad book. Its not its fault its early VOY I like VOY a lot, but the first few seasons were pretty weak. Actually, all the early VOY things actually make it feel a bit...nostalgic? I don't know if thats the right word, but I'm sure I'll enjoy the book.

After that, its on to ST:TNG - Dragon's Honor and To Reign In Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh (I guess I'm having a mini Greg Cox marathon ) then I'll be rereading star wars - Allegiance and Choices of One.
kirk55555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 08:58 PM   #1834
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

^ Hah! Hope you enjoy your marathon. I actually started writing The Black Shore before the first episode of Voyager even aired. At first, all I had to go on was the original series bible and some articles in Starlog magazine, but most of the book was written while the first season was airing.

And, yeah, that does seem like a long time ago . . . .

Oh, funny true story: I actually came up with the idea for The Black Shore while attending a sales conference at a Florida beach resort. I was sunning myself on the beach, struggling to come up with an idea for this new Star Trek series Pocket had just told me about, when I glanced around at my surroundings: sand, shore, palm trees, etc.

"Hmm. Maybe I can do something with this . . . ."
Old February 23 2013, 09:12 PM   #1835
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

It still floors me that so many of the Voyager numbered novels were begun before the show even started airing. There were only 25 or 26 Voyager novels published at all during the run of the series, and more than HALF of them were pitched before a single episode was seen!
Old February 23 2013, 09:40 PM   #1836
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Thrawn wrote: View Post
It still floors me that so many of the Voyager numbered novels were begun before the show even started airing. There were only 25 or 26 Voyager novels published at all during the run of the series, and more than HALF of them were pitched before a single episode was seen!
What can I say? We didn't waste time jumping on the bandwagon!
Old February 24 2013, 12:22 AM   #1837
kirk55555
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
^ Hah! Hope you enjoy your marathon. I actually started writing The Black Shore before the first episode of Voyager even aired. At first, all I had to go on was the original series bible and some articles in Starlog magazine, but most of the book was written while the first season was airing.

And, yeah, that does seem like a long time ago . . . .

Oh, funny true story: I actually came up with the idea for The Black Shore while attending a sales conference at a Florida beach resort. I was sunning myself on the beach, struggling to come up with an idea for this new Star Trek series Pocket had just told me about, when I glanced around at my surroundings: sand, shore, palm trees, etc.

"Hmm. Maybe I can do something with this . . . ."
Wow, I didn't know some of the books were written before the series aired. The only reason I thought it might have been placed in season 2 is because in the beginning

It actually reads like it would fit in well with the first few seasons of the series, so I guess having the show actually be out really wasn't needed to write a book that feels exactly like the show
Old February 24 2013, 12:32 AM   #1838
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Well, just to be clear, I was able to watch the first season of the show while I was writing the book. I just had to get started, and write the original outline, before the show debuted.

(Same with my DS9 novel.)
Old February 24 2013, 12:41 AM   #1839
kirk55555
Commodore

I get that. Actually, I that part of my post was more to the general idea of books even being in the works before the show was even out. Since The Black Shore is #13, I'm guessing #2-12 (#1 was a novelization of The caretaker, so its a bit different) were also started before the show. I own 1-6, and they range from decent to good, and they all seem to fit the show for the most part. Its just weird thinking of people writing (or starting to write) them before they even got to see the show.
Old February 24 2013, 12:53 AM   #1840
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

The tricky part is that you never know who your favorite characters are going to be until you've actually watched the show for awhile. If I had to do it over again, I would have given the EMH a much bigger part!
Old February 24 2013, 10:52 AM   #1841
Kertrats47
Commodore

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

I have *finally* posted my review of Federation by Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens!

My reads over the past couple of weeks have included The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Star Trek: SCE #6: Cold Fusion by Keith R.A. DeCandido, and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. I'm currently reading the completely engrossing Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke.
Old February 24 2013, 11:05 AM   #1842
wahwahkits
Commander

View wahwahkits's Twitter Profile

Just finished 'Deep Domain' by Howard Wienstein. Overall a really good book but maybe a little too heavy handed with the environmental message at times. 4.5/5

Next up is 'Ash' by James Herbert.
wahwahkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2013, 04:33 PM   #1843
A J
Ensign

Finished reading A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth George. Currently reading No Mark Upon Her by Deborah Crombie.
A J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 04:35 AM   #1844
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I finished Leverage: The Con Job a few days ago and started Star Trek: Allegiance in Exile.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25 2013, 01:44 PM   #1845
indianatrekker26
Captain

Just started Star Trek: Devil's Bargain. Really enjoying it so far, about a third of the way through.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote