Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old February 23 2013, 02:27 AM   #1
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Question Mark in a Diamond -- WTF?

When I post on a certain other board, sometimes this symbol shows up between sentences.

Even when I edit the post and remove them, the little suckers come right back. Does anyone know what they are and how to stop them from appearing?
Old February 23 2013, 02:37 AM   #2
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Question Mark in a Diamond -- WTF?

Maybe this will help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode...ment_character
Old February 23 2013, 03:36 AM   #3
scotpens
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Well . . . not really. The Wiki article doesn't tell me why the character is showing up instead of a space, or how to get rid of it. Frankly, technical talk about text coding is Turkish to me.
Old February 23 2013, 05:23 AM   #4
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Sorry about that.

The reality is that it's impossible to provide specific diagnosis without particulars (which site, what are you doing exactly, etc.); I would suggest contacting the admins of the site in question.

What jumps out at me immediately in the link I provided, that could potentially be helpful, is:

that Wikipedia article wrote:
The replacement character ... often a black diamond with a white question mark ... is used to indicate problems when a system is not able to render a stream of data to a correct symbol. It is most commonly seen when a font does not contain a character
It goes on to say that such situations might arise because of data incompatibilities.

One thing to check is, does your text contain any "special" symbols, such as accents, smilies, Arabic, etc.? If so, then that could have something to do with it. If not, then perhaps there is a bug on the site. Between sentences is a toughie for me. If it were at the end of lines, that would be more suggestive to me.

Either way, I'd contact the admins directly. Or, open a thread on the site itself about it, because other users using that site may have experienced the same problem.

Sorry, that's all I've got.

Maybe someone else has more...
Old February 23 2013, 06:35 PM   #5
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Awww... I came here actually looking for a some kind of question mark formed anomaly inside an actual diamond.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 09:06 PM   #6
scotpens
Vice Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
. . . One thing to check is, does your text contain any "special" symbols, such as accents, smilies, Arabic, etc.? If so, then that could have something to do with it. If not, then perhaps there is a bug on the site.
It's been happening when I post on the Classic Horror Film Board. I've noticed that the character shows up when I embed YouTube videos in my posts.