Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 18 2013, 10:27 AM   #151
Freman
Fleet Captain

Re: Sword of Damocles -- comments & opinions ****SPOILERS*****

Christopher wrote: View Post
^What's wrong with using a pre-existing thread anyway? I never understood that.
Yeah, me neither. If it's some totally random topic, I can understand, but if it's somebody wanting to talk about a book, then it makes more sense to just use the preexisiting thread, even if nobody has posted in it for a long time.

Not all of us read the books when they first come out, after all.
Old February 19 2013, 02:33 AM   #152
JD
Admiral

What's the limit for something being an old thread? This is not sarcasm or snottiness, I'm honestly curious.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 02:35 AM   #153
Christopher
Writer

And is it from when a thread was last posted in rather than when it began? The "Cast the Character of Trek Literature" pinned thread was begun in April 2006, nearly 7 years ago.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 02:46 AM   #154
Pavonis
Commodore

Well, when I started reading this thread, I didn't check the timestamp, and thought the discussion was about a new book. Of course, I'm wrong, and it's not. I just expected that a new thread about an old book wouldn't have "spoilers" in the thread title. "Spoilers" to me mean information on unreleased material, hence my confusion.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2013, 07:24 AM   #155
JD
Admiral

Generally we put up spoiler warnings for stuff that has just come out so people who haven't read it yet and don't want to see spoilers know to stay away.
Old February 23 2013, 08:59 PM   #156
Geoff Thorne
Fleet Captain

View Geoff Thorne's Twitter Profile

honestly, I'm just happy people are still reading the book. even if they don't love it or even like it.

I will say that i find it odd that a few people have found the opening "slow." Doesn't it start with what appears to be the last surviving members of TITAN's away team, stranded and injured on a hostile planet, in the middle of a war zone where giant bugs are trying to kill them?

I mean, really.

Do we need to blow up a planet EVERY time to lock folks in?

Starfleet is not a military organization. Its purpose is exploration. - Jean-Luc Picard
Geoff Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 09:08 PM   #157
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

This is still probably my favorite Titan novel. Such a different writers' voice from the rest of them! While I'm by no means dissatisfied with the last few years of TrekLit, it's been a while since the line regularly took chances like this, and I miss that.

Hope life's treating you well, Geoff
Old February 23 2013, 09:31 PM   #158
Geoff Thorne
Fleet Captain

yep, yep.

and i'm about to present the first of the pieces that will allow me to complete my promise to do a full series of TITAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES pics that got suspended.

the first one will be TAKING WING as Andy thought it should have a separate poster from THE RED KING.

Then we continue with the novels in sequence.

Starfleet is not a military organization. Its purpose is exploration. - Jean-Luc Picard
Old February 23 2013, 09:57 PM   #159
Relayer1
Commodore

Geoff Thorne wrote: View Post
honestly, I'm just happy people are still reading the book. even if they don't love it or even like it.

I will say that i find it odd that a few people have found the opening "slow." Doesn't it start with what appears to be the last surviving members of TITAN's away team, stranded and injured on a hostile planet, in the middle of a war zone where giant bugs are trying to kill them?

I mean, really.

Well, not completely 'up'. Maybe just a bit 'up'...

Old February 24 2013, 01:01 PM   #160
Spocky8492
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Geoff Thorne wrote: View Post

I mean, really.

No no you don't have to blow up a planet
It's not the epilogue that I found "slow". I didn't understand everything in this part, but it got my attention, I was immediatly interested to read the following. What I found "slow" were the first chapters, with the issues on the Titan, the issues with Dr Xin Ra-Havreii, Vale worried about the problems between Riker and Troi, ... this kind of things. I understand that the characters have to be developped somewhere in the book, so maybe I felt that way because for the moment I don't care a lot about the different characters of the Titan crew. But apart from that I enjoyed the book and maybe after reading a few Titan books I will be more interested in the crew, when I'll start knowing them better.
Spocky8492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8 2013, 08:34 AM   #161
Geoff Thorne
Fleet Captain

After four years, we finally will see this complete. Next up: SYNTHESIS by mr. swallow.

the original thread is in the FAN ART section if you're interested in the other pieces.

Old March 8 2013, 10:43 PM   #162
JD
Admiral

Very nice!