New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 20 2013, 03:46 PM   #436
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Aldo wrote: View Post
As someone who's going to school to become a teacher, it did kind of bug me that Lily was upset she was "only" a Kindergarten teacher. As if only being a teacher is somehow a horrible thing.
That got my attention as well. It sort of stuck me as a "Manhattan elitist" kind of thing and seemed somewhat unnecessary.

It's one thing to peruse something you love, but to treat the most noble of professions with contempt is a bit silly.
Perhaps that "most noble" of professions doesn't look as noble after doing it as long as Lily did. And considering it wasn't what she was passionate about.

I'm a father of a 6 month old, parenting is a "noble" profession, but, man, there are some days, I am willing to trade it for digging ditches.

It's not elitist at all. You really think Lily is a Manhattan elitist?
Old February 21 2013, 12:24 AM   #437
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

If she really liked that elephant painting she should stick with being a teacher.
Old February 21 2013, 01:05 AM   #438
tighr
Commodore

Gary Mitchell wrote: View Post
If she really liked that elephant painting she should stick with being a teacher.
Doesn't matter whether the elephant picture is any good, what matters is that the Captain was able to sell it for $4 million to someone, and that Lily has an eye for artists who are going somewhere.

It sounds like the only appeal to the elephant picture is the artist who signed it.
Old February 21 2013, 12:45 PM   #439
Scout101
Admiral

Perspective is also an issue. Ted's telling the story, not Lily. He was high on sandwiches when he saw the painting, and maybe only remembers Lily telling him it was of an elephant. Unless he looked it up later, Pretty good bet his recollection of that painting is fuzzy, if he remembers it at all. MAY not have been that bad...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 06:18 PM   #440
Finn
Vice Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
As someone who's going to school to become a teacher, it did kind of bug me that Lily was upset she was "only" a Kindergarten teacher. As if only being a teacher is somehow a horrible thing.

Aside from that I loved seeing The Captain again, and seeing the story get retold as we find out both Ted and Robin were inebriated was hilarious.
I disagree. Lily didn't go on a tirade about how teaching sucks.

I'm a teacher myself and I do have one of those days. I sometimes think about being a field biology scientist. It happens in every profession. I had teachers who thought about doing things differently. Some of them did briefly.

It's normal to have feelings like that. Really, the ship has sailed for Lily as an artist. Her internship in San Francisco went awful. And she liked that elephant painting. I think it won't last.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 10:39 PM   #441
shivkala
Rear Admiral

the Metlife Survey of the American Teacher shows that an increasing number of us are dissatisfied with the profession.

As for Lily, I kept wondering how she could continue to be successful as a kindergarten teacher when she was spending late nights in a bar. Just one of those sitcom contrivances though, I guess.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 11:01 PM   #442
Pavonis
Commodore

HIMYM can get away with those "sitcom contrivances" better than most because the whole thing is a story told in flashback by an unreliable narrator. I'm inclined to think that Future Ted isn't remembering most of the events correctly, nor is he accurately describing the amount of time they spent at MacLarens. When it comes down to it, I doubt his tale of Barney's sexual history, for one thing, or general awesomeness is anywhere near accurate. The reality of HIMYM is probably far different than what we, the audience, sees through Future Ted's tales.

And is this whole story of how he met their mother being told in one sitting?
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 11:18 PM   #443
shivkala
Rear Admiral

That's why I said earlier I'd love for the series finale to be from the mother's perspective and be told all in one episode (even if it's an hour long episode). It would be interesting to see her take on Barney, Robin, Marshall, Lily, and especially Ted.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2013, 11:40 PM   #444
marksound
Fleet Captain

Pavonis wrote: View Post
HIMYM can get away with those "sitcom contrivances" better than most because the whole thing is a story told in flashback by an unreliable narrator. I'm inclined to think that Future Ted isn't remembering most of the events correctly, nor is he accurately describing the amount of time they spent at MacLarens. When it comes down to it, I doubt his tale of Barney's sexual history, for one thing, or general awesomeness is anywhere near accurate. The reality of HIMYM is probably far different than what we, the audience, sees through Future Ted's tales.

And is this whole story of how he met their mother being told in one sitting?
This.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 12:38 AM   #445
tighr
Commodore

Pavonis wrote: View Post
I'm inclined to think that Future Ted isn't remembering most of the events correctly, nor is he accurately describing the amount of time they spent at MacLarens. When it comes down to it, I doubt his tale of Barney's sexual history, for one thing, or general awesomeness is anywhere near accurate.
This week's episode is a perfect example, as we see the exact same event (even with the exact same dialogue) play out in three different ways from three different points of view.

On top of that, we see Barney attempt to insert himself into the story, when he wasn't even there. Chances are that has happened more than once in the past, and Barney's history is being exaggerated. We already know that Barney takes credit for things that don't exactly happen the way they appear.
Old February 22 2013, 01:35 AM   #446
Mr Light
Admiral

The series finale will reveal...

that Barney doesn't exist. Ted made him up to make the story more interesting.

*mind fuck*

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 02:12 AM   #447
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post

*mind fuck*

Ted is Barney. It's just that he made up Barney because his kids shouldn't think of him as a male whore.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 03:24 AM   #448
marksound
Fleet Captain

Does Robin have a sister?

Just wondering ...
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 06:41 PM   #449
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Mr Light wrote: View Post

*mind fuck*

Then who's wedding did he meet the mother on?
And why didn't the kids go "Uncle Who?" the first time Ted mentions Uncle Ted?

Last edited by Timelord Victorious; February 22 2013 at 07:08 PM.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 07:08 PM   #450
Pavonis
Commodore

All the characters exist, but not necessarily with the personalities they're depicted with; it's all biased by Ted's recollection, and the producers have demonstrated that the events we "see" aren't always the events that happened.
Pavonis is offline   Reply With Quote