Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 20 2013, 10:23 PM   #16
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: February 22, 1993 - Happy 20th Anniversary Babylon 5!

Candlelight wrote: View Post
Brolan wrote: View Post
What I liked most about the series was how well planned it was. The first episode is almost entirely foreshadowing of events that happened later. Contrast that with something like the newer Battlestar Galactica.
To be fair the fifth season wasn't as good as the first four. Whether you chalk that up to JMS holding stuff back for Crusade, TNT interference, JMS getting tired after five years or simply a poor story. I was expecting something amazing to finish the show but it was just lackluster.

Galactica, while obviously making it up as they went along, had a great ending.
Expecting the Series to be cancelled, he moved stuff into the end of S4, that was meant to continue playing out in the first few episodes of S5, and S5 stuff should have begun starting in motin before S4 ended. This would have made a smoother end to S4 and S5 beginning, rather than S4 ending being too crammed (Though it did make it awesome) and S5 starting up cold again from a beginning.

Having said all that, it's only the first 8 episodes +/- of S5 that most people are unhappy with alot of it. The second half of S5 is every bit as good as the best of what the show had to offer IMHO. Did you watch all the way through, or stop watching in the first half of S5?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2013, 10:50 PM   #17
Candlelight
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Candlelight wrote: View Post
What I liked most about the series was how well planned it was. The first episode is almost entirely foreshadowing of events that happened later. Contrast that with something like the newer Battlestar Galactica.
To be fair the fifth season wasn't as good as the first four. Whether you chalk that up to JMS holding stuff back for Crusade, TNT interference, JMS getting tired after five years or simply a poor story. I was expecting something amazing to finish the show but it was just lackluster.

Galactica, while obviously making it up as they went along, had a great ending.
Expecting the Series to be cancelled, he moved stuff into the end of S4, that was meant to continue playing out in the first few episodes of S5, and S5 stuff should have begun starting in motin before S4 ended. This would have made a smoother end to S4 and S5 beginning, rather than S4 ending being too crammed (Though it did make it awesome) and S5 starting up cold again from a beginning.

Having said all that, it's only the first 8 episodes +/- of S5 that most people are unhappy with alot of it. The second half of S5 is every bit as good as the best of what the show had to offer IMHO. Did you watch all the way through, or stop watching in the first half of S5?
I watched all of it right the way through.

I think my main issue was I was never a fan of Telepath or Centauri stories, so season five was never going to be my cup of tea.
Old February 22 2013, 01:26 AM   #18
Candlelight
Admiral

It's February 22nd today! Well ok, I'm a few hours ahead of the rest of the world, but nonetheless!

Happy birthday!
Old February 22 2013, 02:00 AM   #19
jclark14
Ensign

Indeed - HFB to everyone associated with the project!

I'm running two friends through B5 at ( of course! ) two different locations... it's wonderful....
jclark14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 06:09 AM   #20
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Klaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 01:04 PM   #21
Jan
Commodore

Sadly, I missed the airing of 'The Gathering' and only came on board for the series after reading an article in TV Guide where JMS described the show being set up like a novel. Watched every episode and in '96, I got my first computer and discovered JMS posting and answering questions online.

To say that Babylon 5 has had an impact on my life is an understatement. Happy 20th anniversary to all fans, old and new!

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 02:04 PM   #22
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Happy Anniversary Babylon 5

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 06:05 PM   #23
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I have no idea when exactly I started watching B5, but my earliest memories involve a little 'behind the scenes' bit of fluff on some breakfast show or other (GMTV? Big Breakfast?) I distinctly remember Claudia Christian giving a tour of the C'n'C set and warning the cameraman not to get too close to the window as it'd spoil the illusion (that the "stars" were really just X-mas lights on a black cloth.)

The thing was, I was in school at the time and the show was on very late night Channel 4. I think I managed to catch a bit of 'TKO' one time (though as I recall at the time I thought it was the tail end of a movie.) I think the first episodes I saw properly were the 'Voice in the Wilderness' two parters, 'Quality of Mercy' & 'Chrysalis'. Saw the first few episodes of the second season, though the rest was fairly patchy. By the end of the second season however I was hooked and made a concerted effort to see or record every episode...not an easy feat with three older brothers in the house and only one telly. I do remember renting a copy of 'The Gathering' when the show was in it's 3rd or 4th season and being thoroughly confused but it all. Mostly I remember it being boring and damn near unwatchable.

...And I think I'll stop right there as I suddenly feel very, very old...Bugger.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 06:27 PM   #24
Brolan
Commodore

Reverend wrote: View Post
...And I think I'll stop right there as I suddenly feel very, very old...Bugger.
Lol! Join the club my friend, join the club.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2013, 07:38 PM   #25
Snatcher42
Lieutenant Commander

My cable provider never carried PTEN, so I came onboard when Babylon 5 was picked up by TNT. Actually, I remember attending a con a few months before where Claudia Christian spoke about the show being renewed by TNT (I guess this was before her whole debacle), and the woman next to us in the audience was absolutely distraught because she didn't get the channel!

The first show I watched was Za'Ha'Dum, in the daily re-runs leading up to Season 5. An odd place to start, yet being thrown into the epic-ness of Season 4 without fully understanding everything really hooked me. I was glad to catch those daily re-runs because I don't think I could stand waiting a week or more between episodes!

Season 5 was a bit of a let-down on first airing, but I've come to appreciate it more in subsequent re-views. Overall B5 is easily my favorite tv show of all time. New BSG came close for awhile, but in the end felt a bit too improvised. Nothing compares to the satisfaction of B5's 5-year planned arc.

A flawed but true masterpiece of television.
Snatcher42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 02:26 AM   #26
Jan
Commodore

John Hudgens, who did quite a few really great music videos for B5 back in the day (JMS commissioned most of them to take to conventions) just posted this link to one of my faves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNshIwUnaXk

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 02:33 AM   #27
Neroon
Mod of balance

Reverend wrote: View Post
Lol! Join the club my friend, join the club.
Yeah, tell me about it. I may not have been one of the First Ones.... but it wasn't long after for me.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 03:12 AM   #28
shivkala
Rear Admiral

If my memory serves me and a website I visited confirmed it, WWOR in New York was supposed to show it Friday, February 26, 1993. Sadly, that was the day of the World Trade Center bombing, so I didn't get to see it. It was on too late on Sunday for me to watch the whole thing (my parents were strict about TV on school nights). I did catch it later on, though.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2013, 10:26 AM   #29
Candlelight
Admiral

My first episode I saw was Born to the Purple, while in Australia in 1994, and once returned home rented the pilot on VHS.

New Zealand didn't start screening until 1995, and I began watching the series from The Gathering right through to Z'Ha'Dum non stop. I recorded Babylon Squared, and then about five episodes from season two, before recording the entire series from there on, only junking my VHS copies once they began releasing them on DVD (I was collecting Voyager on VHS and couldn't afford to do that with two shows).

One memory I vividly have is I had to travel on the day Endgame was to screen, and when I arrived at the airport I saw a group of people huddled around a TV. I thought something had happened on the news but they were all watching the final battle!

I ended up watching the episode that night on VHS. Was blown away.
Old February 23 2013, 03:50 PM   #30
Aeon
Commander

I was just a kid back then, but I started watching it somewhere around the first season when it began to air around here. Maybe 1996 if my memory is not too off. By the end of the second season I was hooked and tried to catch every episode. The third season finale is still one of the major television cliffhanger experiences I've had - no question about it.
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote